Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tokico Performance shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico Performance shocks

Anybody have these and if so how good are they?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

ttt ttt
Old 05-17-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

ttt ttt
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

t t t ?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

I'll let you know when the snow goes away here! I put them on my car with some Vogtland lowering springs this winter. I haven't had the car out yet to see how well they work.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

They are probably fine on stock ride height but with lowering springs they would suck.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

I did a lot of researching and on Tokico's site they are designed to be used with lowering springs. Tokico even sells their own brand of lowering springs although I couldn't find them anywhere. The place I bought the springs from suggested the Tokico's for use with them and they have used them on the street with good results. No, they're not as good as Koni's but not everyone can afford to put that much into shocks.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

First, you didn't use a more normal rate rear spring, but some very, very heavy ones. The Tokico's aren't great and I agree they are pretty ok for stock springs but not for lowering springs. Furthermore it's not uncommon for a company to just slam together a kit for marketing purposes.

I'm a Tokico dealer, and I NEVER use them on f-bodies. Some cars they work pretty well on, but this isn't one the nailed.

Pre-emptively I'll say I know you'll see them as great. They are different, and the car will be firmer and in many ways different than stock. The issue here will be more down the road, and it's a combination of spring rate and the shocks both. Not just one or the other's fault, but the Vogtland's IMHO are way, WAY too stiff in the rear for anything useful but hauling furniture, and the shocks are way not able to handle that rate.

Edit: I wanted to add Tokico warranty process is an unmitigated nightmare, and it's clear to me they don't like supporting their product and make the customer, the vendor and the WD supplier jump through hoops. Really, most folks give up, which I think is the idea. Meanwhile Koni (for example) bends over backward to help and does so directly with the customer which is faster and less hassle for both you and me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah...Konis are great, blah blah blah... Some of use live in the real world and have other expenses beyond our cars. As I previously stated, I couldn't spend another $500 just for shocks. Not everyone wants/needs to drive a race car on the street. My ultimate intent is to do air ride on the car down the road so this was a cost effective way to lower the car for now.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First, you didn't use a more normal rate rear spring, but some very, very heavy ones. The Tokico's aren't great and I agree they are pretty ok for stock springs but not for lowering springs. Furthermore it's not uncommon for a company to just slam together a kit for marketing purposes.

I'm a Tokico dealer, and I NEVER use them on f-bodies. Some cars they work pretty well on, but this isn't one the nailed.

Pre-emptively I'll say I know you'll see them as great. They are different, and the car will be firmer and in many ways different than stock. The issue here will be more down the road, and it's a combination of spring rate and the shocks both. Not just one or the other's fault, but the Vogtland's IMHO are way, WAY too stiff in the rear for anything useful but hauling furniture, and the shocks are way not able to handle that rate.

Edit: I wanted to add Tokico warranty process is an unmitigated nightmare, and it's clear to me they don't like supporting their product and make the customer, the vendor and the WD supplier jump through hoops. Really, most folks give up, which I think is the idea. Meanwhile Koni (for example) bends over backward to help and does so directly with the customer which is faster and less hassle for both you and me.

Sounds to me if your a tokico dealer you dont do a very good job at selling there product. But everyone has there own opinion. I dont own tokico shocks or springs but i bet there are some dealers that will argue with the fact that they dont make a good product especially for a daily driver car and a pass at the track here and there!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok you two, I guess it's better to lie to you to sell a product than tell you the truth.

First point is simple. I did not say you had to use Koni's, did I? No, I only used their warranty process as an example. You have options, I'm sorry to say there are few really good ones for this car.

Second point. I do a very good job selling and supporting product. This is my business, not Tokico's. As such I'm going to tell you, and sell you WHAT WORKS THE BEST FOR THE SITUATION. On some cars Tokico's work well (and I said that before too, you just ignored it). Actually I just installed some of the new D-Specs on a Mustang I'm going to be racing some this year. Somehow I'm biased and full of hate because I try and tell you the truth? Wow, what a world.

My business, repuation and livelihood revolves around doing the best job I can for my customers. I'm not a volume business like say Summit. I have to it with service and knowledge. If you prefer I blow sunshine up your butts, just let me know that when you call, and I'll do what I can to oblige you. Ok, not really, but do you get the point?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2001z
Sounds to me if your a tokico dealer you dont do a very good job at selling there product. But everyone has there own opinion. I dont own tokico shocks or springs but i bet there are some dealers that will argue with the fact that they dont make a good product especially for a daily driver car and a pass at the track here and there!
I know there are dealers like that. And I bet they don't offer a variety of products like I do (Bilstein, Koni, KYB, Tokico, Edelbrock, Monroe, Gabriel, and those are what I have just for 4th gen f-cars, I can get QA1's too). And I do them for competitive prices.

I don't have to give you a pitch to sell something because I carry most all the brands. And I'm not a one-trick pony either. Yesterday I sold Koni's, Tokico's (Mustang), a set of KYB's and 3 sets of Bilstein's. My only concern is the right product for the job at hand. That product might change for two F-bodies if the situations are the same. I recommend what fits best (be it on cost, performance, whatever).

Isn't if funny you asked for opinions, but had already bought the shocks.... Sounds to me you were looking for a pat on the back, not technical details about why they might not have been the best choice.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Yeah...Konis are great, blah blah blah... Some of use live in the real world and have other expenses beyond our cars. As I previously stated, I couldn't spend another $500 just for shocks. Not everyone wants/needs to drive a race car on the street. My ultimate intent is to do air ride on the car down the road so this was a cost effective way to lower the car for now.
Want some cheese to go along with that whine?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

If your ultimate goal is to get an Air Ride setup, don't spend money on stuff it will replace. I don't know how much a set of Tokico shocks are going to cost you, but unless your stock shocks are totally dead, take whatever money that is and put it towards your goal. If your stock shocks are dead, that's another matter. In that case, buy whatever inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap) shocks you want and keep on going until you can afford your Air Rides.

EDIT: I misread who this was coming from. Disregard this paragraph. Do Tokico shocks have a lowering perch like the Koni's? If not, I don't see how they would help you lower your car.

Take it from someone who's been there. It may only be a couple hundred bucks here and there, but it adds up fast. Don't let your desire to lower your car RIGHT NOW get in the way of your ultimate goals.

And, yes. I own Koni's. I'm not telling you to spend $800 on shocks. I'm telling you to save your money now for what YOU want to buy.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 04-05-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Not whining. Explaning the situation. If you want to be a dick, take it elsewhere. Sorry I tried something "out of the norm" and tried to give input on a question someone else asked. I thought message boards were supposed be about sharing information and learning about things, not bashing someone because they didn't make the "popular" choice on things.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I did a lot of researching and on Tokico's site they are designed to be used with lowering springs. Tokico even sells their own brand of lowering springs although I couldn't find them anywhere. The place I bought the springs from suggested the Tokico's for use with them and they have used them on the street with good results. No, they're not as good as Koni's but not everyone can afford to put that much into shocks.
This is not meant to be a slam, but the research you did wasn't really research. More like persuaded by marketing. I wouldn't even go to Koni and do research on their site if I were looking to add shocks to a different type of car. I would try to find person with experience with the particular item or modification and has done comparisons, or go to an informational website or forum to find someone or people like that. I am just trying to help though and I'm not trying to offend you.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I know there are dealers like that. And I bet they don't offer a variety of products like I do (Bilstein, Koni, KYB, Tokico, Edelbrock, Monroe, Gabriel, and those are what I have just for 4th gen f-cars, I can get QA1's too). And I do them for competitive prices.

I don't have to give you a pitch to sell something because I carry most all the brands. And I'm not a one-trick pony either. Yesterday I sold Koni's, Tokico's (Mustang), a set of KYB's and 3 sets of Bilstein's. My only concern is the right product for the job at hand. That product might change for two F-bodies if the situations are the same. I recommend what fits best (be it on cost, performance, whatever).

Isn't if funny you asked for opinions, but had already bought the shocks.... Sounds to me you were looking for a pat on the back, not technical details about why they might not have been the best choice.
I think you ment to quote the original poster not me .

To me If you want a good riding car and you see alot of track time you need to get a good set of shocks and springs like konis or Qa1 . It is best to take it to someone like sam or any other vender that specifies in shocks if you really want it setup for a specific ride or for the track. Just my .02$ but some people see it diffrent.

Last edited by 2001z; 04-05-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tokico blue's suck ***... the illumina's are pretty good but wear out fairly quickly, i.e. ~30k miles.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I've noticed a lot lately that people get offended by some of the advice that is offered to them. It's sometimes hard to write the most politically correct non offensive posts. The slightest thing sets some of you guys off and makes you defensive. Particularly Sam is just trying to help you guys out. Some of you get pretty sensetive when he gives advice on a setup that might be quite far off from what you may have just installed on your car. It's misconcieved that an autox setup and a street setup is like comparing apples to oranges. An autox setup and a street setup go hand in hand. An autox SCCA stock class setup is incredible for the street, way more comfortable than all stock components. Sam was just trying to advise that Tokicos are ok for the stock springs but won't do what a shock is designed to do to dampen pretty much most of the fbody aftermarket springs out there. I'm not seeing what upsets you guys about that... He gives the advice he gives on suspension because he's had experience with it and gives you guys the truth beyond what the marketing guys tell you. Isn't that a good thing???

I guess if a reputable and experienced person's advice is not appreciated, then best of luck gentlemen.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

I DID do research and on CamaroZ28.com Sam even conceded in a thread that the Tokico's would be fine for the street but are not ideal for a race car. I don't get in the habit of taking what one person says as the only answer. I'm pissed because everytime I read a thread that's anything other than Koni or revalved Bilsteins, the person gets bashed and told they're stupid for buying them and wasting money. Sorry I tried to inform someone about a product they asked about and I happend to have. It's been said over and over that stock DeCarbons are complete junk so as far as I'm concerned these are better then what I had.