Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

are subframe connectors a good first suspension mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are subframe connectors a good first suspension mod?

I have a totally stock suspension setup on my 98 formula. I want to hook better at the drag strip and was wondering if subframe connectors are a good place to start.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

i would suggest lower control arms and some relocation brackets to alter the angle of the control arm to allow for better traction out of the hole
Old 05-15-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

YES.......Probably not for hooking in general, but contrary to what some will say, including certain sponsors, I put SFC's on my car and it is more solid and rattle-free than if I would NOT have put them on...along with 1000,s of other people......... Look at my sig, I put on sway bars and boxed control arms and adj. panhard almost as soon as I bought the car....I also like my Strut Brace...at least I know for sure the deflection in limited...

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 05-15-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I put a set of bolt-on SFC's on the vert' about two days ago and I definatley noticed a difference in how the car felt. It felt more poised while accelerating, and it felt like it tracked better.... this is the only suspension mod I've done on the car.

The clutch in the car is messed up right now so I can't go g-tech it to find out if there was a noticable improvement or not in 60 foot times, but even if it was only a marginal improvement I like the way the car feels now a lot better....

Can't comment on a coupe though.....:shrug:
Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

It is a very debatable subject. Do a search and you will see tons of info on both sides of the issue.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I don't know about hooking up better, but I did notice more power to the ground with less flex. I can still smoke the hell out of the tires if I want too. I put drag radials on it and can hook better, but can still go up in smoke if I don't take off correct. I think they are a good investment. Next will be a strut tower brace then lca's etc....It never ends. go for it!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Launching!

my next question would be which are the best to get

I see the BMR tube subframe connectors are weld-in only

I found another set of tubes from umiperformance that are bolt it

any difference between bolt in and weld-in?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

The ones I have bolt up in the rear and are welded in the front
Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you want to hook better, the first thing you want is a good set of drag radials. Then get a hi-stall converter and improve your 60' times. Then a good set of shocks to control your suspension travel. LCA's if you're experiencing wheel hop. SFC's should be at the bottom of your list.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
If you want to hook better, the first thing you want is a good set of drag radials. Then get a hi-stall converter and improve your 60' times. Then a good set of shocks to control your suspension travel. LCA's if you're experiencing wheel hop. SFC's should be at the bottom of your list.

Keep in mind..........your car is going to hook a lot better with the addition of the equipment above...........if you don't want to put kinks in your rear fenders from the car twisting under load........weld in SFC's.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

subframes are MANDATORY on our cars if you, at all, care about handling... that would be the FIRST mod i'd do... that and a STB
Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

I personally didnt notice any differance in the way my car handled or launched with the addition of my BMR weld in SFC's. but i still beleive it should be the first thing done to a car with t-tops for the simple fact that it will help prevent your tops from leaking if put on early enough and will keep the chassis from twisting which will give you those annoying little dents on the rear fenders. its a must for t-top cars. its cheap therefor should be the first suspension mod IMO. goodluck.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

SFC's are excellent
Old 05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
subframes are MANDATORY on our cars if you, at all, care about handling... that would be the FIRST mod i'd do... that and a STB
Can you explain to us why SFCs and STB are "MANDATORY"? Is it because that is what you have heard on the forums for years? All three of my 4th gens - all with 100K+ miles, one with more than 400 rwhp - do just fine without them.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I wish people would do a search. This freaking subject gets beat into the ground non-stop. They are no more mandatory than is race gas. Helpful? Useful? They can be, but they can also be wasted money if you are trying to change things that are suspension problems and NOT CHASSIS PROBLEMS, which are most things.

Sheeh.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I wish people would do a search. This freaking subject gets beat into the ground non-stop. They are no more mandatory than is race gas. Helpful? Useful? They can be, but they can also be wasted money if you are trying to change things that are suspension problems and NOT CHASSIS PROBLEMS, which are most things.

Sheeh.
there ya have it...from the man himself!!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heck I was waiting for someone to at least mention an aftermarket torque arm.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

they were my first mod.

if i did it again.. shocks would be the very first thing i'd buy
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Sheeh.
Exactly. Fixing a structural "problem" is still going to leave you with crap shocks. Search, search, search, and search. Maybe register on Corner Carvers? They'll be really nice and help you with your problem.

Jon
Old 05-18-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Maybe register on Corner Carvers? They'll be really nice and help you with your problem.
100% Agree, because they love the taste of freshly ground lemming meat.

Quick Reply: are subframe connectors a good first suspension mod?