Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

STB Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STB Install

I know the install for the STB isn't very complicated. I got one today and came home ready to pop it in, but out of the 4 nuts I was only able to take 1 of by hand, any tips for loosening up the nuts so they are easier to get off?

-Mike
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Use a longer ratchet? Cheater pipe? Flex handle...?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are ny-locks, Sherlock.

Notice there are no lock washers?

They are self locking nuts. It takes effort to get them off BY DESIGN!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Long lead pipe.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was using a wrench and put all my weight into it, and all it did was begin to strip the nut.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MjMaro
I was using a wrench and put all my weight into it, and all it did was begin to strip the nut.
Wrong size wrench? I used a 16mm (I think) socket on the outside ones and an open-emd wrench on the inside ones...Didn't have any problems...
Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
They are ny-locks, Sherlock.

Notice there are no lock washers?

They are self locking nuts. It takes effort to get them off BY DESIGN!!!!
Was hoping for some help, not some sarcastic bullshit, but thanks anyway
Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dogmeat
Wrong size wrench? I used a 16mm (I think) socket on the outside ones and an open-emd wrench on the inside ones...Didn't have any problems...
I know it's not the wrong size wrench, its a 15mm, it's just that after 55k miles without being touched the nuts have settled in, tried putting some graphite spray on to loosen em up a lil, let em sit, didn't help when i tried to get em off again.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, the nut size is 15mm. Are you rounding off the nut or damaging the threads trying to get them loose? I'd suggest the same thing as Dogmeat, use a longer rachet or cheater pipe to get more leverage, but be sure to put some WD-40 first. Be generous with the amount you spray on and be sure to let it settle for a while.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know it's not the wrong size wrench, its a 15mm, it's just that after 55k miles without being touched the nuts have settled in, tried putting some graphite spray on to loosen em up a lil, let em sit, didn't help when i tried to get em off again.
Instead of using lubrication spray, did you try to use a torque wrench on it's lowest setting, then after each unsuccessful attempt slowly increasing the torque settings until you are able to gently loosen the nuts, then using a regular socket wrench to remove after being loosened? If there was no rust present, and the nuts were nylock, then why use the spray? Especially since much of it can remain behind, and cause the nut not to relock properly when being refitted.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was hoping for some help, not some sarcastic bullshit, but thanks anyway
When you say things like this ...

I was only able to take 1 of by hand,

-Mike
It leads folks to think you were trying to loosen and remove by hand.

You never said anything about them being seized.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

sry mitch didn't mean to jump on ya, was frustrated by trying to get it on last night. I should have specified and made it more clear, I have limited tools and by hand I meant a regular 15mm wrench, I don't have a torque wrench, but im sure I can come up with a lead pipe somewhere.

Yes, the nut size is 15mm. Are you rounding off the nut or damaging the threads trying to get them loose? I'd suggest the same thing as Dogmeat, use a longer rachet or cheater pipe to get more leverage, but be sure to put some WD-40 first. Be generous with the amount you spray on and be sure to let it settle for a while.
I will for sure give that a try when I get home today. The nut was being rounded off, the threads weren't being damaged.

Instead of using lubrication spray, did you try to use a torque wrench on it's lowest setting, then after each unsuccessful attempt slowly increasing the torque settings until you are able to gently loosen the nuts, then using a regular socket wrench to remove after being loosened? If there was no rust present, and the nuts were nylock, then why use the spray? Especially since much of it can remain behind, and cause the nut not to relock properly when being refitted.
If there was no rust youre right, I wouldn't have used the spray, but there is a good bit of caked on rust. I was hoping the lubricant would help the nuts slide better but that wasn't the case, I'll have to try some WD-40 and then give it a go with a cheater pipe.

Last edited by MjMaro; 05-16-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

If you rounded the bolts off maybe a set of those Craftsman "rounded bolt remover" sockets would help ... It's weird, I bought a set of those like 5 years ago and strangley enough I haven't rounded a bolt since then and haven't had a chance to use them
Old 05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got home today and decided to give it another shot. I sprayed some WD-40 on the bolts and let them sit for 30 seconds, then used a 16mm deep well socket to get them off. Had to pull/push VERY hard to get them going but once I got them loose it was no problem, THANKS FOR ALL WHO POSTED.

-Mike
Old 05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

16mm is the wrong size!!!! that might explain why you were rounding the nuts.
They are, as more than a few folks here pointed out 15's.

Please use the right size wrench for the job folks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
16mm is the wrong size!!!! that might explain why you were rounding the nuts.
They are, as more than a few folks here pointed out 15's.

Please use the right size wrench for the job folks.
I don't think you read everything close enough. I was rounding the nuts with a 15mm wrench. I used some @D-40 to loosen them up, then used a 16mm deep socket which gripped the nuts just fine. I know the size of the nuts is 15mm, but the lug nut socket actually worked better than the 15mm wrench. FYI, I know the nuts are 15mm and in theory a 15mm wrench would be the perfect implement for getting them off, but it just didn't do the job for me.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

If 15 was loose enough to round the nuts, then 16 would have been worse. FWIW. If you pants fall down and you are wearing a 36" waist, would you go bigger?

Glad you got it done, but you have to realize that people search these threads, and a lot of not quite right information is propigated through them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-20-2006, 03:07 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Be sure to recheck the nuts after a little bit of driving. Since you don't have a torque wrench to tighten them to spec, some of the nuts may loosen up a little over time.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogmeat
If you rounded the bolts off maybe a set of those Craftsman "rounded bolt remover" sockets would help ... It's weird, I bought a set of those like 5 years ago and strangley enough I haven't rounded a bolt since then and haven't had a chance to use them
Me too!

Quick Reply: STB Install