Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone see this kmember

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone see this kmember

i had no idea they were done with these.

http://byunspeed.com/product_info.ph...e11b54f349aaff
Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's false advertisement. I just got off the phone w/ Spohn Performance and they won't be ready until sometime in July. Why they got to go around and get peoples hopes up is beyond me.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn byunspeed.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

There is a better one coming out very soon from UMI, and I expect to sell a bunch.

Better because it's stronger, more for handling than drag racing. First difference is there are two cross tubes, not just one. A lot more lateral strength is the result. Also the alignment holes are larger, so you can get more negative camber if you like. There are also going to be some beefy gussets as well.

Price is going to be right around $479.

Anyone interested, just give me call (out tomorrow for the weekend, but back on Tuesday). Happy to discuss it with you, and if you want pre-order one for you.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-25-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing is that the spohn is going to be offered in chromoly. i think UMI should do this, but probably wont for a while. i agree that the UMI piece is what i would probably get. Just for the 2 tube design. if i was hard core drag than the spohn would be my choice. the spohn piece should be able to handle road coursing, because that is what they build parts for usually.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Chrome-Moly is more brittle than is mild-steel. I wouldn't want a CM k-member myself.

There is no way I'd trust a single cross tube k-member. ALL, and I mean *ALL* the lateral loads go into that thing, and I don't want 1+g of lateral force going through just one piece of pipe. MHO.

As for the building for road course use... Good marketing. But news to me, I don't see too many cars autoxing or open tracking with Spohn parts on them. Not saying they are bad quality or anything from what I've handled they are not. However that doesn't make them suitable. For instance I've looked at, held, made suggestions to Ryan about his part based on past experience from my own and other's actual competition use, as well as seeing past failure areas.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow. i did not know. i am not an autoxr, but i thought they were into that. i guess i was wrong. i would trust your opinion. i do think spohn makes some good pieces. i have their torque arm and that thing is solid. i could not ask for a more quality piece. i do think the 2 bar is great. as for the chromoly i know all about it (notice were i am from) i was aminly talking for drag racing and weight savings. again i would go with the UMI piece hands down.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont see the UMI piece on ur site, im sure it will be there though.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Chrome-Moly is more brittle than is mild-steel. I wouldn't want a CM k-member myself.

Well Sam.. I agree with you on most points.. not this one.

Chromoly is Far superior to a mild steel for this application. The strenght is much greater and the modulus of elasticity is the same. This means you will have a much longer fatigue life out of the chromoloy of the same dimensions and loads.

pretty much the only downside to chromoly for this application is cost. (unless they are dumb and reduce the wall sections when the go to chromoloy... defeating the whole point)

If the whole concern with K-members is them not being strong enough and breaking.. why would you want to use a weaker material? Granted the geometry and load paths are of greatest concern.. but since its trying to be the strongest and stand up to the repeated 1g+ forces.. why not? Can you get away with a mild steel version.. yes.. but you need good geometry and load path designs.. will the same one be even better when made out of chromoly.. you bet!

I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and compare it to a medium carbon steel..

Medium Carbon steel 1030 (Normalized 1" bar)
http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=M1030H

Chromoloy 4130 (Normalized 1" bar)
http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=M4130C
Old 05-25-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The reason you cannot trust Chromoly is it looses all its superior strength when you weld it and WILL NOT get it back unless you reheat treat the entire piece and I will almost gaurantee you that the fab shops do not retreat. I had along discussion about this exact issue with my old supervisor, who is one of the main Metallic Materials personnel for Navy vessels.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem is they usually reduce the wall thickness.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
The reason you cannot trust Chromoly is it looses all its superior strength when you weld it and WILL NOT get it back unless you reheat treat the entire piece and I will almost gaurantee you that the fab shops do not retreat. I had along discussion about this exact issue with my old supervisor, who is one of the main Metallic Materials personnel for Navy vessels.
its all about using the proper filler material. If you use 4130 filler rod.. yeah, your asking for trouble if you dont reheat the section. Choosing the proper filler material is very important and makes a large difference in the strenght of the weld.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CroMo or mild, the pieces fail in the welds and not the tube
itself. Every busted K-member pic I've seen, is a weld that
pulled off the root. The designs are just not failsafe, two
critical welds holding the front of the car together is a
doomed design. Thing is, just a tiny bit of overstrapping,
less than a pound, could prevent those failures.

But it's such a pain in the *** to install I'll wait for mine
to break, before welding in what I know it wants.