Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Plans good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Suspension Plans good?

I have a completely stock suspension on my '95 Formula which is my daily driver. I want to increase handling and I do not want my car lowered any more than an inch at the absolute most. I want to buy the SLP bilstein/eibach kit to cover shocks and springs. I obviously need a panhard so I suppose a UMI "on car" adjustable panhard would be a good choice? Now I want to do sway bars so I was thinking the 1LE 32mm hollow front/21mm solid rear? The car just needs to have more handling control and be less tail happy. I have done alot of searching but I can't decide if I should keep the stock rear sway bar and upgrade just the front or both? Now would purchasing a set of LCA relocation brackets be a good idea? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice.. do it one piece at a time.

Chassis tuning is no different from engine building in that you have to pick parts that work together. the wrong cam can ruin an otherwise great engine, the wrong shocks can ruin an otherwise great chassis.

I suggest a good set of shocks first. Go ahead and get konis, worth the money in every way.

THEN see if you feel you still need to change things

I don't know what size front swaybar your car has on it. But you'll probably want something bigger than 32mm. Strano's 35mm bar is a great deal. Bigger front bars make the car less tail happy, bigger rear bars make it more tail happy. So you'd probably be happier with just a bigger front bar and a stock rear bar.

The Konis (SA's) will enable you to get a slight drop (.75 front .5 rear) with stock springs. You'll get the most comfortable ride possible. You can go with lowering springs, a lot of people do, but I'd try the koni perch/hose setup first.

The panhard bar isnt a *must* unless you're running really wide tires (like 315's) or you're lowered a bunch. But a stronger panhard bar is a wortwhile upgrade. I suggest going full out on a double rod end panhard bar. You can save yourself some money by making your own from threaded radius rod and rod ends. Or you can buy one. Whichever, the panhard bar is one location on Fbodys where rod ends aren't obscenely harsh. And you'll benefit from 0 flex, precise axle location in cornering. The on-car adjustment feature isn't a big deal. The off-car type is stronger in my opinion.

As far as relocation brackets, wait and see. Once you're satisfied with the handling and settled on a ride height, you may or may not need them.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

^I appreciate your help! I think I will go with the Koni's and Sam's 35mm sway bar and a panhard and see where that gets me. Thats perfect how I can lower the car on stock springs using the Koni's since at times I want it stock ride height and lowered at other times for shows etc.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To lower it with stock springs, you remove the spring isolater in the rear and use a garden type hose on the first coil (that touches the body). In the front you just install it on the lower perch. To swap for car shows you'd have to remove the front spring/shock assembly to modify it every time. May not be real fun. I recommend you make your own PHR with QA1 rod ends, real inexpensive to do.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to know Shocks, springs and sway bars give Sam Strano a call at Strano Parts. He will be able to set you up with an appropriate set-up for your style driving...and he knows his sway bars. He can do the Koni's or even revalved Bilsteins, it all depends on your budget and what you want from the vehicle.

He can also set you up with the correct UMI Performance Panhard bar

Ryan
Old 05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

^^Yes a UMI panhard is on the list, gotta represent PA!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
^^Yes a UMI panhard is on the list, gotta represent PA!
Thank you
Old 05-29-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

A garden hose would probably work for the rear, But it may be to stiff a rubber. I think most folks use 5/8" heater hose from a parts store since its a little spongier and fits nice and tight.

But then again, some people just go spring to metal...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Suspension set-ups have a lot to do with driving habits/skill, personal preference and the intended purpose of the vehicle. There is a lot of trial and error to suit personal taste, but it wouldn't hurt to speak with a few of the sponsors personally. I have Strano-tuned Bilstiens, Eibachs, BMR PR/LCAs and 1LE front swaybar/misc stuff and it works for me.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
If you want to know Shocks, springs and sway bars give Sam Strano a call at Strano Parts. He will be able to set you up with an appropriate set-up for your style driving...and he knows his sway bars. He can do the Koni's or even revalved Bilsteins, it all depends on your budget and what you want from the vehicle.

He can also set you up with the correct UMI Performance Panhard bar

Ryan
Have to say its nice to see a sponsor recomending a fellow sponsor. Ill be going with sams stuff for springs and sway bar. Ryan you've got my buisness for everything else I need.

+1 more for giving sam a call.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Launching!

+2 for Sam and UMI!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

We work pretty closely together. I also sell UMI directly for the same price if you are inclinded to one-stop shopping. Either way it's UMI product that Ryan's building.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Suspension Plans good?