Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Line lock wiring Q?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Line lock wiring Q?

I just installed a line lock and the directions say to take the positive directly to the line lock and run the ground to a switch mounted on the dash. The switch then goes to a ground on the steering column.

If I get a short anywere from the line lock to the switch (15' wire through everywhere) the next time I hit the brakes my fronts will be locked...Correct?

Here's what I think I should do:
Take a positive connection from the fuse box to the switch then out to the line lock, with the other connection from the line lock going straight to ground. This way if I have a short, I blow a fuse and don't lock up the front brakes.

Any thought would be appreciated!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I dont think you would lock them, because the solenoid would be closed. You would probably have no front brakes, because the solenoid would be blocking all the pressure. No sure what line lock you are running, buy the instructions that came with mine had a switched 12V source. I would have done that anyway. I would not suggest running a switched ground, just for the reason you have suggested. Just make sure you fuse the source.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

SmoknTA

Thanks for the info. That makes sense about not having front brakes if there is a short on the switched ground. I will make sure to fuse the power line close to the source.

Do you have any suggestions on the power source. I'm thinking of using a power supply from the cabin fuse box.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are many places inside the cabin to pull power from. I have many open spots in my fuse panel because I have deleted many accessories. So I made a dedicated accessory fuse for the things that I have added.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like one of the companies that copied our products but downsized the features and benefits. The switch is probably an on/off non-momentary switch too which is a bad idea.

Safety should be first and foremost, NEVER use a ground as the switched source!

We have our kits wired completely different. This may be an idea for you...I'd highly recommend changing your configuration. Our kits include a master switch with remote LED as well as a control momentary switch. The circuit works like your cruise control whereas you must have the master switch on before you can use cruise control. Our master switch works just the same. When the master switch is activated, a remote mount LED illuminates letting you know that the circuit is armed and ready for use. When you're not using your LL, you shut off the master switch so that accidental deployment cannot occur.

Good luck, don't wire it up the way you are explaining it per directions...lol set it up per your consideration...better yet, re-work it with a master switch and do NOT use a non-momentary switch to control the solenoid.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

SJM - I checked your website. I like your set-up. Had I known about your company when I ordered it I would've bought your product.

I agree with the double switch. I already added that to my set-up. I however didn't use a monetary switch. I used a covered toggle switch.

I'm still thinking how I want to get power to the switches. I'm researching how to take power from the fuse block.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for your comments.

There are many accesssory fuses you can pull power from. Be careful with that toggle switch. At least you have a protective covered switch. non-momentary toggle switches can lead to over-use of the line lock...I don't believe that is legal for the track...someone may be able to verify that one from a rule book..at any event, never run them more then 60 seconds at a time.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

All tracks or tracks that follow NHRA rules?

If so THANKS!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

I am not positive by any means so you may want to verify this with a rule book. It was commented to me during previous discussions...Never heard of anyone being denied running the car from this...so it's sort of a moot point regarding if it is true or not...most importantly, a non-momentary switch is a bad idea no matter what ruling

1) You can easily forget you have it on ESPECIALLY if you do not have an LED indicator
2) Dangerous if someone accidentally (or inquisitively) turns it on without your knowledge DURING driving...the next time you apply your brakes an accident is waiting to happen.
3) Leaving it on for long periods of time >60 seconds can damage or shorten the solenoid life.

ALL line lock solenoids you purchase will never come with a non-momentary switch. The reason why they all are momentary would logically be as I have stated above.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Your right. I checked my 2005 NHRA rule book and it's in there. I go to a track that strictly follows NHRA rules for Test & Tune so I will take care of it.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:23 PM
FormerVendor

Glad that you verified it. At least now you know, and maybe good for others also if they consider this in the future. You certainly do not want to not be allow to run for such a small thing. Never really heard of anyone being denied, but at least its better before hand then going there and being turned down for such a small thing.

Happy racing!

Steve