Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is an alignment necessary after spring/shock install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is an alignment necessary after spring/shock install?

I just did a shock/spring swap, took out the stock stuff and installed Koni SAs & an Eibach Pro-Kit. I've heard people recommend getting an alignment after this process. My car drives perfectly as far as I can tell and the wheel is also perfectly straight. One of my friends that helped me do the install said that he doesn't think I need an alignment. Is there something I might be overlooking? Basically, I'm wondering if I should bother getting an alignment or not? I can probably get one for free as I have a couple friends that could do it, it's just a pain in the a$$ to get a hold of them sometimes. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, especially if you used the lower perch on the Koni's. Your camber is off and you'll be noticing the tire wear in a couple hundred miles. Get an alignment quickly or you'll be needing new front tires.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any time you do any work to your front suspension, it's a good idea to get it alligned.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do it before you destroy your front tires
Old 06-14-2006, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to get a hold of my buddy and get it done A.S.A.P. I'd rather not have to buy new front tires...that would suck.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

**** that's good to know. i did koni sa's like 2 months ago lol
Old 06-14-2006, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm just wondering if any old shop will be able to do the alignment or if something special needs to be done. The reason I ask is because I asked my friend about doing the alignment for me and he said that since the front end geometry has been altered from stock because of the aftermarket springs and shocks he just wants to make sure it's ok to use the recommended settings for a 1999 Trans Am when aligning the front end. He said that you punch in the make, model, and year of car into the alignment rack computer and it tells you where everything should be aligned. However, that's for a stock vehicle and obviously mine isn't stock. I would assume this would be ok, but I don't know that much about suspension stuff. Just wondering about this, any input would be helpful. Thanks again everyone for the input so far!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had mine aligned to factory specs after I lowered it. Everything is riding good so far but it's going to take a few thousand miles to find out what kind of wear the tires are taking. Put it this way; an alignment on stock specs are better than no alignment at all.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD99TA
I'm just wondering if any old shop will be able to do the alignment or if something special needs to be done. The reason I ask is because I asked my friend about doing the alignment for me and he said that since the front end geometry has been altered from stock because of the aftermarket springs and shocks he just wants to make sure it's ok to use the recommended settings for a 1999 Trans Am when aligning the front end. He said that you punch in the make, model, and year of car into the alignment rack computer and it tells you where everything should be aligned. However, that's for a stock vehicle and obviously mine isn't stock. I would assume this would be ok, but I don't know that much about suspension stuff. Just wondering about this, any input would be helpful. Thanks again everyone for the input so far!
Yes, stock specs are fine. You will need a shop that has one of the newer alignment machines though.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole idea of lowering the car is so you can get BETTER than stock alignment specs. Like -1.5 and +4.5. If a shop can't do it, find out where the circle track guys get their cars done. I fortunately have a shop near me that has a guy who races circle track on the weekends, and he knows how to do it. My $.02.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

I talked to my other friend today (he's the one who owns his own tire and service center) and told him about my situation. He immediately suggested I come in for an alignment right away and said that anytime you do suspension work like this you'll want an alignment even if the car drives fine and the wheel is straight, etc. He said he can take care of it no problem. He deals with lowered and modified cars on a daily basis and I trust him to work on my car (he's worked on it in the past and done a great job). I'm glad I know this guy because he's a good person, he's honest, and I've known him for a longtime. Bottom line is I trust him to work on my car. If he couldn't do it the right way, he would flat out tell me and would recommend someone who could. I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon and he assured me he'd take care of it.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

yes...

nuff said...unless you wanna buy new tires...like everyone else has said. lol
Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I been putting it off for 900 miles now, I need to hurry and do this too !!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Took the car to my buddies shop today and I'm good to go! Thanks for the input everyone! On a side note, the car was just slightly out of alignment.