Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

!Front Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !Front Swaybar

I'm wondering what negative effects, if any, would i see from deleting my front sway bar? if there are any, is this a problem that a decent set of shocks can fix?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This topic has been gone over quite a few times in the past couple of weeks. A search will yield great results
Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it, and ignore the countless vagina haters who say it is sooooooo dangerous.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol.. just found a 5 page thread about this. sorry for the double post!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

You will handle for **** for starters. Some people ditch them.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You will handle for **** for starters. Some people ditch them.
:wivestale:
Old 06-15-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The prominent display of vapid replies in this section of the board amaze me, the preceeding post is without a doubt no exception. As that thread covers, sway bars are right behind wheels and tires and may tie with shocks and springs on a newer car for drastic improvements.

Go spend $300 and participate in an hpde weekend , do one lap with a sway bar and one lap without, see what happens. Do yourself a favor and don't mention lack of a sway bar to the instructors that are present. After you're done post a summary of your expierences to everyone on this board, if you could include pictures to show your rockers hitting the ground that would be great!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

If you are hardcore into drag racing, you can remove it, just remember that your cornering ability will be reduced quite a bit. I've been driving around with no front swaybar for the last 1.5 years. As soon as I get a chance, I am going to put it back on though. I'm tired of having to take slow turns and my car handling like a boat.

Take it off and see how you like it, then decide if you want to leave it like that or put it back on.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
:wivestale:
That line is a complete pile of

So those that do it, and they'd be properly terms idiots if they are telling folks it doesn't matter. It's wheel rate, and lots of it. You want to remove it for drag racing, FINE. But do it as the strip. It's f*cking dangerous on the street without it. Classic case of driveable, until you need to avoid Little Johnny, or make some other panic move. The bar controls body roll. And stock the car has a 30mm front bar, 1-1/8". Those wishing to make the can handle better move up to as much as 35mm or so (1-3/8"), not down, and certainly not NO bar. By a Z06, get more bar than a C5. Buy a SS, get more bar than a Z28, and the same applies for most any car. Simply put it's a HUGE part of predictable handling and grip.

This is the HANDLING section, not the "make my car handle like " section. If that was the name of it, then fine, I'd say do it too. Then again, what the hell do I know about handling? Oh yeah, it's what I do for a living and do a pretty good job of it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That line is a complete pile of

So those that do it, and they'd be properly terms idiots if they are telling folks it doesn't matter. It's wheel rate, and lots of it. You want to remove it for drag racing, FINE. But do it as the strip. It's f*cking dangerous on the street without it. Classic case of driveable, until you need to avoid Little Johnny, or make some other panic move. The bar controls body roll. And stock the car has a 30mm front bar, 1-1/8". Those wishing to make the can handle better move up to as much as 35mm or so (1-3/8"), not down, and certainly not NO bar. By a Z06, get more bar than a C5. Buy a SS, get more bar than a Z28, and the same applies for most any car. Simply put it's a HUGE part of predictable handling and grip.

This is the HANDLING section, not the "make my car handle like " section. If that was the name of it, then fine, I'd say do it too. Then again, what the hell do I know about handling? Oh yeah, it's what I do for a living and do a pretty good job of it.
Damn, dont sugar coat it, lol.

As for ninetres if you dont have anything constructive to say, please dont post.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh great, here we go again!!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Damn, dont sugar coat it, lol.

As for ninetres if you dont have anything constructive to say, please dont post.
Its hard to say anything in responce to Strano because I know he knows far more than I about suspension set-ups....But to be "more constructive":

1st off I speak from experience, not just a stab in the dark.

I was 100% serious about my wivestale comment. Does it affect handling...Yes, of course a little, but I have (along with countless friends) been driving without one for as long as we have had out Camaros. I think the "extreme danger" everyone hypes about in here is nothing more than a wivestale.

I could dodge little Jonny, or a grandma changingg lanes on the freeway WITH EASE AND NO DANGER AT ALL.

***Also, anyone interested in !front SB is obviously more concerned with handling on the 1320 and not a road course (I would think anyway). I drive my car everyday, and it is no big deal. Like someone in another thread posted.....cliffnote/paraphrased: "You just have to learn how the car reacts without it. The car still will handle better that plenty of cars on the road." I agree. I went on a mountain run in my !SB car yesterday. It was awesome in the hills. Granted, it would be much better with one on there (and my shock tower brace which I have now ditched as well).....but fine none the less.

I think there are tons of people who roll without one, and I have never heard of someone crash from "EXTREME BODY ROLL TO THE 92 POWER!!!!!!"

/deadhorse
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Why on earth would you want to get rid of your front swaybar, except for drag racing reasons?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Why on earth would you want to get rid of your front swaybar, except for drag racing reasons?
Exactly.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Drag racing would be the only reason to do it. The argument is that some people say they drive their car everyday with no problems with !swaybar, while others say it is dangerous.

Sunset'01Z: How often do you go drag racing? If you don't go a LOT, just pull the bar when you're going to the track, and put it back on when you're done. Its a simple job anyways. Like I said, I drive with no swaybar and I'm putting it back in next chance I get, because the car handles like crap.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only logicial reason to take it off is for drag racing.

if you have a street/strip car, and you're not into road racing, then one of the best street/drag setups is !swaybar and QA1s..... with the bar off, you crank up the QA1s to around 6 or 7, and you can drive around normally like nothings missing... notice i said NORMALLY... in a evasive maneuver situation, your car will handle better then a toyota camery. better then honda accord. better then kia, and better then a SUV... however, it will suck compared to what the potential handling could be on a modified 4thgen...
if you REALLY want to know, with ZERO BS... just take one endlink off...... this has the same effect... drive around without one endlink in... if it scares the crap out of you, then put it back in.. if you can deal with it, then take the bar off and store it for later if you change your mind.... its not like its a permanent thing.. you arnt cutting it off or anything.. lol.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
the only logicial reason to take it off is for drag racing.

if you have a street/strip car, and you're not into road racing, then one of the best street/drag setups is !swaybar and QA1s..... with the bar off, you crank up the QA1s to around 6 or 7, and you can drive around normally like nothings missing... notice i said NORMALLY... in a evasive maneuver situation, your car will handle better then a toyota camery. better then honda accord. better then kia, and better then a SUV... however, it will suck compared to what the potential handling could be on a modified 4thgen...
if you REALLY want to know, with ZERO BS... just take one endlink off...... this has the same effect... drive around without one endlink in... if it scares the crap out of you, then put it back in.. if you can deal with it, then take the bar off and store it for later if you change your mind.... its not like its a permanent thing.. you arnt cutting it off or anything.. lol.
Great post.

I agree that you must drive with caution in mind. Same thing goes for when I leave my skinnys on for a few days after the track. Just be aware of your set-up.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe we should just rename this forum "Handling & Braking While Drag Racing"...
Old 06-15-2006, 03:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Maybe we should just rename this forum "Handling & Braking While Drag Racing"...
lol
Its not the road race forum and this question is obvioulsy from someone looking to improve thier cars drag times.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skunkdya
Oh great, here we go again!!!!!
My thoughts exactly. I'm sitting out this round.

Quick Reply: !Front Swaybar