Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Better pedal feel...INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better pedal feel...INSIDE

I've read many threads on people who want better pedal feel, and they all seem to think that stainless brake lines are the be all things to make this happen. Kind of like the sub-frame connector issue. I've heard from trackbird, mitchtx, strano, etc that just a good flush and bleed of the brakes will make a night and day difference.

I put new rotors and pads on my car today, and flushed my brake fluid and bled the brakes. It was amazing the pedal feel I had after this. So before falling into the stainless lines for better pedal feel, just flush and bleed the stock system.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

And then what?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

So everyone thinks SS lines are worthless?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Launching!

No. He never said the SS lines are worthless, but bleeding/flushing can make a world of difference!
Old 06-24-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by W105
No. He never said the SS lines are worthless, but bleeding/flushing can make a world of difference!
That's pretty much what I was trying to say.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

But the new pads and rotors will make a big difference also, but if anyone does just a flush and bleed without changing anything else Id like to hear if it made a difference.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by W105
I never said he said the SS lines were worthless. I was trying to get a opinion.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree. My experience has been that before spending a bunch of money on fancy brake setups when the goal is mainly street use, its best to first get yourself some good pads and flush with good fluid just as OneMeanZ is suggesting.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Charging TA
But the new pads and rotors will make a big difference also, but if anyone does just a flush and bleed without changing anything else Id like to hear if it made a difference.
A while back I flushed mine with hte only change being brake fluid. From the stock GM stuff to ATE superblue and it made a noticable difference.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The benefit's of SS line is mostly noticed when you have repeatedly used the brakes heavily...the stock rubber only sheath tend to swell while the SS covered lines get a bit of assistance from the SS sheath

Ive heard some reports that better than SS are teflon covered lines..the proble is that t he SS lines trap dirt and that dirt then becomes an abrasive INSIDE the SS sheath working on the rubber beneath the SS
Old 06-25-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

From my observation, SS lines are not useless, however they are overrated compared to what really can refresh the F-body's brake system that can be in need over some of the more important things as mentioned above. FWIW, the stock lines aren't just "rubber", they actually are braided on the inside with stranded fiberglass or some sort of polymer that is relatively stiff.

Even the company where I purchased my big brake system from has admitted several times that replacing the stock lines with their stainless steel lines do make a difference, but absolutely nothing compared to what OneMeanZ and others who perform a brake fluid flush, a proper rotor upgrade, pad replacement, and a good brake caliper rebuild.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
From my observation, SS lines are not useless, however they are overrated compared to what really can refresh the F-body's brake system that can be in need over some of the more important things as mentioned above. FWIW, the stock lines aren't just "rubber", they actually are braided on the inside with stranded fiberglass or some sort of polymer that is relatively stiff.

Even the company where I purchased my big brake system from has admitted several times that replacing the stock lines with their stainless steel lines do make a difference, but absolutely nothing compared to what OneMeanZ and others who perform a brake fluid flush, a proper rotor upgrade, pad replacement, and a good brake caliper rebuild.
That's what I was looking for.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, if I may add that I have used SS lines on front and rear stock caliper systems with improved brembo blank rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and DOT 5.1 brake fluid, and once again, it wasn't the SS lines that made a noticable difference, and most of all, I recorded no gains AFA times are concerned.

Also, the OE lines for the 4th Gen don't quite expand that greatly, even when I have ran my track freak F-body hard. I even switched back to new OE lines, and the fact is that the OE lines are darn hard to wear out, unless you are deliberate careless to either stretch them while performing maintenance, or somehow cut them (SS lines not immune to stretching and/or cutting either).