Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which rotors???

I am about to buy new rotors thinking about crossed drilled and slotted, becasue my fronts are warped like crazy. Anyone have any suggestions on which ones to get? I have been searching on ebay but, I feel like those are bad quality, but if anyone has perchased them off ebay let me know what you think, thanks guys
Old 06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Brembo Slotted rotors for about 30K now and they are really fantastic. They cost about $480 for front and rear rotors, I would suggest Satisfied Grand Sport 6 Ceramic pads for an additional $116.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just threw on summit racing brand drilled and slotted rotors front and rear with w/ hawk performance pads $461.45....night and day diffrence
Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Cross-Drilled & Slotted are only for looks (the major manufacturers even admit it). Get better blanks for improved stopping. Pad selection is actually more important than rotor selection.

Here is some "light" reading:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=infamous

While you are at it, change out the brake fluid for something better. Many on here (including myself) use ATE Super Blue.

My setup:
Brembo OEM blank rotors
Hawk HPS Pads
ATE SuperBlue brake fluid

I think all three items are available from Sam Strano (a sponsor) and other sponsors (I got the rotors and pads from TireRack -- a sponsor -- and the fluid from Sam).

If you really want a large improvement in braking:
* Larger rotors (there are kits to make the 13" C5 rotors fit or you could go with a bigger kit), but this may require larger wheels
* More aggressive pads
* New/Better brake fluid (you'd be suprised how much a flush/bleed with new/better fluid improves pedal feel, and of course many other better properties of the new/better fluid)
* wider/stickier tires (yes tires, they are your physical contact to the ground)

If you are just looking for better-than-stock and stay on a budget then get Brembo OEM blanks or AutoZone Duralast rotors (some on here autox with these), Hawke HPS pads (or a more aggressive pad if you wish), and ATE Super Blue brake fluid (or a similar/better fluid of your choice).

If you want more info check out the Brake FAQ and do some searching (not getting judgmental even though I may sound it).

Last edited by VIP1; 06-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:02 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

has anyone tried the rotors from WS6 store? they are very cheap. don't know about quality.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pjb
has anyone tried the rotors from WS6 store? they are very cheap. don't know about quality.
I have them, I have 7k on them they look good on the car and I havent had any evedence of cracking. Although I must say it hasnt been a improvement in brake power, they just look good. next time I think I will get blanks since they have better stopping power.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by radz
I have them, I have 7k on them they look good on the car and I havent had any evedence of cracking. Although I must say it hasnt been a improvement in brake power, they just look good. next time I think I will get blanks since they have better stopping power.
A few questions:
* What pads did you have before and what pads do you have now?
* Did you flush/bleed the system? If so what fluid did you use?

If you want to keep the drilled/slotted rotors for the bling factor, try more aggressive pads (although this may speed up the time you have until cracking occurs) and perform the proper manufacturer-recommended break-in procedure.

If you have some specific questions about pad selection call/pm Sam Strano (he's a sponsor, if you call him with a question about a part actually buy the part from him) or pm mitchintx or trackbird. If you search on here you should find plenty of threads about it too.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

IMO,unless you autocross the duralast from Autozone work great.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was goin to do the brembo blanks, but for availability purposes I couldnt. The brembos were on back order till later this month. So I just broke down and got the Duralasts from Autozone. So far no problems and my god Now I know how bad my OEMs were warped.!!!The OEMs were shot...the Duralasts made pedal feel firm again and they stop great....
Old 07-01-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
A few questions:
* What pads did you have before and what pads do you have now?
* Did you flush/bleed the system? If so what fluid did you use?

If you want to keep the drilled/slotted rotors for the bling factor, try more aggressive pads (although this may speed up the time you have until cracking occurs) and perform the proper manufacturer-recommended break-in procedure.

If you have some specific questions about pad selection call/pm Sam Strano (he's a sponsor, if you call him with a question about a part actually buy the part from him) or pm mitchintx or trackbird. If you search on here you should find plenty of threads about it too.
I used stock rotors and unknown pads that were on the car when I bought it, and switched to ws6store rotors and hawk pads.
Yes the system was bleed but I dont think it was flushed, I had a buddy do the install while I was doing a clutch swap. AC Delco fluid I belive.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

* Which Hawk Pads? HPS?
* Flush the system with new/better brake fluid. It'll give a better pedal feel and should improve braking performance as well (there is a lot more involved in this issue/answer -- such as brake fade and fluid foaming which you shouldnt see on the street --, check out the white papers in the braking FAQ).
* If you are more interested in braking performance than bling, you'd be better off with blanks instead of drilled/slotted

Like I said earlier, if you want a noticeble improvement in braking without changine rotors, get more aggresive pads. The Hawk HPS pads are slightly better than stock. PM mitchintx, trackbird, or call Sam Strano about pad selection (if you call Sam about pads that he carries, buy them from him), or check out one of the many threads on pads. The downside though to more aggresive pads are: shorter life, more dust, more noise.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-02-2006 at 12:00 AM.