Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rotors and pads....spongy feeling!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy New rotors and pads....spongy feeling!

Hey guys,

I installed the 2 front rotors and brake pads and the driver side rear rotor and its brake pads and now the brake pedal feels spongy, "disconnected" and not solid at all. Brake response is not all that great either. I did NOT open up the hydralics whatsoever. In case you are wondering why I only replaced one rotor in the rear.....the passenger side had a cracked e-brake drum, so I'm being sent a new one. Anyone has a clue what has happened?

Thanks in advance!!

Rick
Old 07-15-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

what type of pad did u use? semi-metallic? ceramic? did u compress the caliper completely when u put the new pads on?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same thing happen to me, installed 4 new brembo oem blank rotors with PBR front pads and Hawk rears. I had to push the pedal pretty hard to get the car to stop and the pedal felt spongy also, like it wasnt really braking that much until close to the bottom of the travel. I never opened up the hydrolics either. Either I got used to it or it went away tho. Gonna change the fluid and put some stainless steel brake lines in maybe tomorrow. We'll see how they feel after that.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still have to bleed them even though you did not brake the system open.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Right after the install did you pump the brakes until the pedal was firm?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Hey guys,

I used PBR pads up front and Hawk out back. The first stroke of the pedal, the thing went down all the way to the floor. I did push the pistons all the way in to fit in the new pads. I don have a system flush as soon as I put in the last remaining rotor and pads....hopefully middle of next week.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem and did the break in procedure twice. After that they started coming back and now they are the same as before the new rotors.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, I pumped the brakes before I moved the car to fill the calipers back up with fluid. I think it was just the pads breaking in. Like I said, either it went away or I just got used to it.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you NOT bleed the brakes? You are supposed to bleed the brakes after you do anyhting to them. It clears the old nasty fluid out of the lines and makes sure there is no air in the lines and calipers as well as snuging the calipers up to the rotors nicely. old fluid and air in the lines will makes them spongy and unsafe. Its pointless to upgrade the brakes at all if you are not going to do it right.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Why would you NOT bleed the brakes? You are supposed to bleed the brakes after you do anyhting to them. It clears the old nasty fluid out of the lines and makes sure there is no air in the lines and calipers as well as snuging the calipers up to the rotors nicely. old fluid and air in the lines will makes them spongy and unsafe. Its pointless to upgrade the brakes at all if you are not going to do it right.
When I ordered front/rear rotors/pads, I ordered it with stainless lines and new fluid. They sent me everything except the lines and fluid. My stock rotors were so warped that I just couldnt wait the extra 3-4 weeks to get the lines and fluid, so I just changed the pads and rotors. Didnt really have much of a choice.... I have the stainless lines and brake fluid now, as they just came in, but its 106* outside right now and I dont feel like changing them until it cools off a bit. If the car felt dangerous to drive, I would not be driving it

James

Quick Reply: New rotors and pads....spongy feeling!