Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Depressing Brake Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depressing Brake Pistons

Ok I took off my calipers to paint them and they were on there a little tight but came off, i doubt they wont go back on, of course i didnt think ahead of time before i painted them that i would need to depress them to get em back on. Now if i do it im gonna F the paint up, anyone got any suggestions?? I dont even have a C-clamp big enough (have to hit harbor freight tmrw) and i dont have an old brake pad to use. How the hell should i do this or can i get it on without depressing it. I know i dont need to beat them down on bc it will rough up the rotor surface. What ya think??
Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyones??
Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure since i havn't done it but do you have to screw these in when they're too far out? That's what we did on my gf's cobra brakes when she converted her GT to cobra front and rears.

William
Old 07-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by will69camaro
Not sure since i havn't done it but do you have to screw these in when they're too far out? That's what we did on my gf's cobra brakes when she converted her GT to cobra front and rears.

William
The screw in kind are typically only on the rear since the parking/emergency brake is typically incorporated into the rear caliper. Our cars have a seperate drum for the parking/emergency brake so the caliper pistons are the push-in kind.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a brake caliper tool that compresses the piston. It has a plate similar to a pad and only contacts the inside of the caliper (so it shouldn't f up the paint). These work way better than the c-clamp method! I got mine at Auto Zone, but I would think several parts places have them.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subtlez28
There is a brake caliper tool that compresses the piston. It has a plate similar to a pad and only contacts the inside of the caliper (so it shouldn't f up the paint). These work way better than the c-clamp method! I got mine at Auto Zone, but I would think several parts places have them.
Autozone has that tool and it fits right in where the pad goes and it only costs like 8 or 9 bux.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 Raptor TA
Autozone has that tool and it fits right in where the pad goes and it only costs like 8 or 9 bux.
****...i'm picking this up just to have it...I hate the damn C clamp
Old 07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought one and its a complete piece of ****. The plastic handle broke off the first time i used it and i had to use a socket on the end of it to make it work. Got it done, still had to touch up a few spots on the calipers from scraping it up with it but everything is done and looks good now..
Old 07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11secondhorse
I bought one and its a complete piece of ****. The plastic handle broke off the first time i used it and i had to use a socket on the end of it to make it work. Got it done, still had to touch up a few spots on the calipers from scraping it up with it but everything is done and looks good now..
I've used mine a few times and never broken that plastic handle, but yeah, i wish that thing was metal.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i would rather pay 10-12 for it and have it actually be durable. Your car is ******* sick raptor TA, just had to let you know. Sportline springs? Are those 315s? If so i dont see how you drive the car with 315s and LTs with sportlines.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a couple options from KD tools.

This one:

http://www.kd-tools.com/3376.htm

Or, this one (which is what I use):

http://www.kd-tools.com/3525.htm

I bought the second one at Sears for $19.99 and it uses an 8mm wrench/ratchet to turn it.

Quick Reply: Depressing Brake Pistons