Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No more torque arm. G-force suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I am buying this... Goodbye torque arm.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before I would consider this, I would like to see more peoples experiences from a drag racing view. I talked with them last Friday to see if they could make the lower control arm adjustable (meaning longer or shorter) and they said they couldn't do that, because being adjustable it wouldn't be strong enough.

Has anyone ran their car at the strip with a torque arm and then switched to this 4 link, if so what was the difference in 60'? Does this 4 link work better for an auto or a 6 speed car?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont see how adding rodends or the adjustable poly ends to the end on the control arms will make it weaker

if they were made adjustable then alot more people would be interested in this for a drag setup
Old 09-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
i dont see how adding rodends or the adjustable poly ends to the end on the control arms will make it weaker

if they were made adjustable then alot more people would be interested in this for a drag setup
It has to do with the cross section area the forces are distributed over. The arm is currently 1.5 inches in diameter and the threaded section of the rod end is .75 inches in diameter. This reduction in cross section will double the forces in that part of the bar.

Originally Posted by SMOKY
This setup shreds the tires? Does the mount shred the tires? Interested from a drag racing point of view. Also the axle wont break since its a 9"
No it does not shred your tires. What I was saying is that the tire becomes the weak link. IF something is going to give it will be the tires breaking loose form the ground or possibly shredding.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man Ide be on these if I knew they would work on my 87 TA.... As long as I could keep my coil springs and regular shocks. Not into spending the extra on coil overs just now.

I really like the spohn torque arm, however I would still like the added room and I could modify my crossmember to accept a better exhaust set up. Which would be a HUGE plus to me.

These arms are similar to a lot of Jeep Long arm front suspension set ups. They are usually referred to as y-link radius arms. Just a piece of random info..haha.

Justin
Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

that is true but those rod ends are really strong pieces
it would help to beable to center the tires where you want it in the well
Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jerflash
that is true but those rod ends are really strong pieces
it would help to beable to center the tires where you want it in the well
We understand the concern. If you gave us the eye to eye dimension for the length of the lower control arm we might be able to make you some custom arms.

Terence
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Launching!

hmmmmm
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

that would seem like a viable option
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you think this setup would hold up on a car making 530 whp/490 wtq? Is this a viable option for a street strip car that will be mounting up 15x10s when I hit the track?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

all of the "old skool" muscle cars use the ladder set up over the leaf springs, and they pull one hell of a 60' time too
Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6son
How do you think this setup would hold up on a car making 530 whp/490 wtq? Is this a viable option for a street strip car that will be mounting up 15x10s when I hit the track?

There is no problem with that HP or Torque. There is 11 inches of clearance from the front face (outside lip) of the stock rims to the outside surface of the new control arms. As long as your tire fits inside that, you should be fine.

Terence
Old 09-22-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

<----waiting for track times. numbers talk. anyone can make ridiculous claims but it takes a good product to show results
Old 10-27-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as any updates. . . . The coilovers have finally settled into their resting position. It has that perfect stance for performance and looks. although I need to raise it up half an inch due to the fact that all the highways around here are being re-paved right now and there are big lips and bumps all over the place. As for the ladder bar setup, it's great. Being spoiled by having a lift in my garage, I've been able to check things frequently. Nothing loose, stressed, broken or wrong. There has been no negative effects on handling. It's an overall plus in all areas. Since I installed this setup, I have also put in a carbon fiber driveshaft. Between the two items, I have just about rid my car of all vibrations and cabin noise. Now it's all engine. I can't give track times or anything like that. My car has shaved door handles so no track would let me race. All I can comment on is the seat of the pants feel, and it is an improvement to me.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by richieg
As far as any updates. . . . The coilovers have finally settled into their resting position. It has that perfect stance for performance and looks. although I need to raise it up half an inch due to the fact that all the highways around here are being re-paved right now and there are big lips and bumps all over the place. As for the ladder bar setup, it's great. Being spoiled by having a lift in my garage, I've been able to check things frequently. Nothing loose, stressed, broken or wrong. There has been no negative effects on handling. It's an overall plus in all areas. Since I installed this setup, I have also put in a carbon fiber driveshaft. Between the two items, I have just about rid my car of all vibrations and cabin noise. Now it's all engine. I can't give track times or anything like that. My car has shaved door handles so no track would let me race. All I can comment on is the seat of the pants feel, and it is an improvement to me.
Getting any wheel hop? what size wheels are you running? I'm getting ready to mount some 18x10.5s, so I'm sure it's gonna be close. Perhaps G-force susp. could help me out with that...

Also another question for G-force, If I already have QA-1 rear coilovers, will they work with this kit?

I'm about sold on this, just need to know if my wheels will fit or not...
Old 10-29-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 18X9.5 wheels, I don't remember it being close enough to make me worry about it. No wheel hop issues at all.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

This suspension is similar to the Pete Z bars that everyone was talking about a while ago. Do a search and you will find out a lot about this set up. They say you should leave the factory torque arm in place minus bushing in case one of the adjustable links breaks. This way the rear does not buckle.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice set up there.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6son
Man I am buying this... Goodbye torque arm.
+1

I haven't had any problems yet but the extra room for exhaust sounds like a swell idea.

Quick Reply: No more torque arm. G-force suspension setup