Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No more torque arm. G-force suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
come on man, were bein just a bit nitpicky here. the fact is that cars driven normally on rough roads last A. longer or B. with less maintainance than cars that are drag raced. ***** out is the hardest thing u can do to ur car as a whole. except for wrestling with a semi.... thats bad for it
By acceleration, I don't mean going to the corner grocery store to pick up tampons...I don't know about you, but I expect my car to perform on the streets no matter what, and I push it to do so.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
By acceleration, I don't mean going to the corner grocery store to pick up tampons...I don't know about you, but I expect my car to perform on the streets no matter what, and I push it to do so.
Road racing actually puts the most stress on suspension parts IMO. Which this setup would no doubt be horrible for.

Jon
Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Road racing actually puts the most stress on suspension parts IMO. Which this setup would no doubt be horrible for.

Jon
Agreed.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

so you are talking about hard acceleration over potholes? well duh
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

so you are talking about hard acceleration over potholes? well duh
Not potholes...just rough roads. You know...like you find in every day driving. Are you having a hard time understanding things? I could really dumb it down for you if you need some help...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Not potholes...just rough roads. You know...like you find in every day driving. Are you having a hard time understanding things? I could really dumb it down for you if you need some help...
sheesh, ur getting a little pissy here. Your original point was that rough roads are harder on your car than acceleration, which I do not agree with because it has not been my experience. Should I dumb it up for you any more?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Actually, the impact loading from potholes and bumps, as well as cornering, probably is more stressful than launching your car on slicks at the track.
This was the statement I dont agree with. Is it so much a stretch of the imagination that I envisioned daily driving here in your description of potholes and bumps rather than circuit racing? I think not. And I believe that mile by mile, launching on slicks is far harder on your car than spending an hour ripping around town as you push it to whatever the hell it was u said earlier. I didnt try to start a fight, you just dont seem to be open to discussion
Old 12-20-2006, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

there is more random loading and unloading of the suspension in street driving, which would make it more stressful as apposed to a straight on hit, in which ladder bars are designed for
Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All were hearing is opinions and speculations from people that dont run this setup. ( including me at the moment) IS there anyone here that has this system now and can answer some of the concerns in this thread?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also a flex joint on the front of the control arm is not needed. The suspension system is basically the same except for how to find pinon angle. the control arms flex around turns now with the ta in place.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
also a flex joint on the front of the control arm is not needed. The suspension system is basically the same except for how to find pinon angle. the control arms flex around turns now with the ta in place.
The suspension setup on the cars now is a three-link type setup. Those ladder bars make it a four-link. Four control arms can not control the axle the way a three-link type setup can. Here is an example. Fox mustangs have a four-link type control arm setup. The upper control arms are trying to do two things at once. Locate the axle laterally and control axle windup. In our cars, the Torque-Arm controls axle windup and the Panhard Bar controls lateral movement while still allowing the suspension to articulate freely.

That's my two cents on how they are not nearly the same.

Jon
Old 12-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Launching!

More food for thought.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...&hl=ladder+bar

Drag Race Oriented!!!

Jon
Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon B.
The suspension setup on the cars now is a three-link type setup. Those ladder bars make it a four-link. Four control arms can not control the axle the way a three-link type setup can. Here is an example. Fox mustangs have a four-link type control arm setup. The upper control arms are trying to do two things at once. Locate the axle laterally and control axle windup. In our cars, the Torque-Arm controls axle windup and the Panhard Bar controls lateral movement while still allowing the suspension to articulate freely.

That's my two cents on how they are not nearly the same.

Jon
Not real huge into suspension but.... when I had a mustang, we all had 4 links, except for the s197s, who had a 3 link. I dont think it was quite like the torque arm system with Fbodies, but similar. anyways, the s197's launch like crazy, pulling sub 2sec 60s on street tires. I had a 00, and I was looking at a kit to convert over to a 3link like the s197s. 4 links arent bad, but they pretty much suck in their own right.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Not real huge into suspension but.... when I had a mustang, we all had 4 links, except for the s197s, who had a 3 link. I dont think it was quite like the torque arm system with Fbodies, but similar. anyways, the s197's launch like crazy, pulling sub 2sec 60s on street tires. I had a 00, and I was looking at a kit to convert over to a 3link like the s197s. 4 links arent bad, but they pretty much suck in their own right.
Yep they use a three-link setup, all the fox mustang chassis used a four-link (except the Cobras). It is basically the same as in our cars but instead of a big Torque-Arm they just use a single "link" that does basically the same job. The new Mustangs do pull some crazy short times from what i've seen.

Jon
Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still think pinion angle/stress would be a major concearn on anything making some good power. It would be the same difference as running a ladder bar set up only with extremely short bars. There is a reason the Torque arm in our cars is the length it is. Also, with the lift point that far back the car wouldnt transfer weight near as well. The question of the strength of the factory LCA mounting point comes into question also. The torque is no longer trying to push forward on the mount, its now trying to force the mounting point up through the floor of the car. The average mid 12 and 13 second cars probably wouldnt have any issues but I sure wouldnt consider this set up for any kind of car making serious power and looking for that extra edge at the track.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 12-20-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps G-Force suspension would care to re-enter the conversation and answer some questions. If not, they're probably not going to sell any of these. I really want to pull the trigger, but I'm having second thoughts now.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I still think pinion angle/stress would be a major concearn on anything making some good power. It would be the same difference as running a ladder bar set up only with extremely short bars. There is a reason the Torque arm in our cars is the length it is. Also, with the lift point that far back the car wouldnt transfer weight near as well. The question of the strength of the factory LCA mounting point comes into question also. The torque is no longer trying to push forward on the mount, its now trying to force the mounting point up through the floor of the car. The average mid 12 and 13 second cars probably wouldnt have any issues but I sure wouldnt consider this set up for any kind of car making serious power and looking for that extra edge at the track.

did you take a look at the video of ed wrights car on page 5?? kinda kills that therory. There is nothing wrong with the ladder bar suspension. People have been running on them forever.

Last edited by blown90lx; 12-20-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to know how good this will be for a street/strip car driven a couple days a week. Everytime I look at this thread, it looks more like a Spohn torque arm for me.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blown90lx
did you take a look at the video of ed wrights car on page 9?? kinda kills that therory. There is nothing wrong with the ladder bar suspension. People have been running on them forever.
Did you bother to read my post?

Your correct about the ladder bar susp. the problem is with the length of the arms on the G force set up.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

the ones im using are 8 inch and dont see a problem with that. eds are 8or 10 inches.

Quick Reply: No more torque arm. G-force suspension setup