Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will Koni's stop the rear from banging the bumpstops when i hit a bump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will Koni's stop the rear from banging the bumpstops when i hit a bump?

i have agx's on now. the front are alright, and absorb properly, but the rears suck ***. every time i hit a large bump it slams the back end. my question is: will koni's remedy this?
many thanks,
josh
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eibach springs, right?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Eibach springs, right?
b&g springs, kyb agx's
From his first post......

One question, who's "B&G"?

And, did the car come from the factory with 17's? And, if so, is the aluminum spacer under the rear bumpstops? And, if it was/is, what bumpstops do you have? Are they brown or black and wide, flat and rectangular or yellow or white and tapered to a point?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

b&g is a swedish brand i believe. got them off of stealthperf.com. maybe bump stops is the wrong term. basically the problem is that, when i hit a big bump, pothole etc the rear of car slams down onto the axle. my guess was that the agx's can't handle the lowering and don't have enough whatever to keep the rear from slamming down. surely i'm not the only one who has experienced this. i just thought that the koni's could control it, because everyone says they're the best shock you can get, they're high quality, and they can handle a lowered car.
thanks again,
josh
Old 08-21-2006, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not that my input here is anything to really help, but I'd like to offer some insight.

1. AFA the spring manufacturer, I went to their N.A. webiste: http://www.b-gsuspension.com/

While I had no problem with finding the springs made for our vehicle(s) and seeing their estimated ride height, I did not find their spring rates. Maybe they're included inside the package once a customer recieves it, but by that time, it can be hit or miss. In short, I'd like to know what the spring rates are upfront from the company before even considering a purchase, regardless of what shock I am going to use, which leads me to this:

2. AFA the KYB AGX shocks, one real problem I have with them compared to a shock like the Koni SA is the fact that even though the KYB AGX is single adjustible as well, the single adjustment mechanism is acutally a "single-action/double adjusting" mechanism which with one turn simultaneously adjusts both compression and rebound. Even some expensive motorsport shocks do this as well, and from an engineering standpoint, I consider those types of adjustment mechanisms to be counterproductive. It's not the fact that adjusting the compression damping is a bad thing (though mostly unecessary, since unsprung weight will rarely need to be changed quite often), it's the fact that both compression and rebound damping are very important in their own right and therefore need to have two seperate parameters of adjustment. Koni SA's are found to be useful due to the fact that compression is slightly improved from stock, however is left constant, while rebound can be adjusted. Also for the front Koni SA's, they have the lowering perch setting for stock springs.

I also, didn't particularly cared for their valving settings either.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Without knowing the rates of your springs, it's hard to say, but I can tell you my experience with my setup. I ran my Hotchkis springs with KYB GasAJust shocks and, aside from being very floaty, I did find the rearend bottoming out a lot. For me, it was VERY noticeable, because I run 17x11 rear rims, so I was rubbing the inner fender wells a lot, even after massaging them with a hammer. While replacing the rear shocks with Koni SA's, I also took the time to carefully measure and re-center the rearend (adjustable panhard bar), as well as spend more time with the hammer on the inner fender wells. After all that, I very rarely rub any more, even on big bumps. The only time I rub now is when I hit a bump while turning sharply, because the axle goes much higher on one side.

For me, the better shocks helped, but your results may be different, since your springs are (presumably) different rates.

-Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Teching In

It may not be as violent but unless you are running incredibly stiff rear springs and a 4x4 ride height you will always use the stock bumpstops.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have koni's and after lowering the car I was hitting the bump stops on pot holes and such. I removed the aluminum spacer between the rubber and the chassis and that eliminated the problem.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it

Quick Reply: Will Koni's stop the rear from banging the bumpstops when i hit a bump?