Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cut Springs?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut Springs?!

Greetings all,

I have an 02 M6 SS. I recently purchased from SLP the kit with the Eibach's/Bilstein- http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70002

I had a local trusted speed shop install it. They claim to have installed this same kit on other cars before and that its a nice lil setup.

After the install i noticed that the front of the car was riding kind of high. After measuring the apex i found that it has gone UP 1/8th of and inch in the front from stock. The rear sits exactly how I want it to. The car sits really weird now.... I hate it... Talked to the shop that looked at the car again and made sure that all the shock/springs and all other parts correctly. I even looked at my buds 02 Z28 to make sure everything was set right.
SLP said they're not at fault and cant see the car.. cant send the springs back anyway because the stockers are gone...

The shop doesn’t recommend cutting springs.. At this point I don’t care My Old Brother and I are going to pull the Front springs and CUT THEM !

The question is how much.. like one Full coil = 1 inch? half inch? Also how much will one inch affect the ride? a lot? a little?

Using the Finger measurement I can get 4 fingers in my front wheel well and 2-1/2 in the rear..

What do you all think?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

The ride gets a lot more bumpy and be careful measuring, cuz as in the words of george lopez," once you cut, you can't cut back."
Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The SLP kit will do that. Might wanna try puttin some miles on it first to see if it levels out. do some hard braking. If you dont want to swap the fronts out to switch to another spring then cut em. you'll lose some ride quality but still be good for the 1/4.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Teching In

ok,..

Im looking to see if any one has done this and knows of any general mesurements i can go off of.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Cutting the springs is probably the worst way to disrupt the handling of your vehicle. It lowers the vehicle yes. But the spring rate stays the same which means you will experience more bottoming out and poorer handling. Might as well save your money and get the real thing that will let you do it the right way.

If what I say won't stop you from cutting them then you need to take measurements on the spring while it is compressed to see where you should cut. Put the springs on the car and put load on the springs like it would see in everyday use. Then measure on the spring how many inches you want to lower it by and mark it on the spring. Be sure to mark both springs exactly the same or you will have different rides heights for the left and right side of the car.

Though I still stand by my first statement and say again. Don't do it. Save for the real thing
Old 08-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Teching In

hm..

the real thing? vs. the fake thing ? so ur sayin that SLP's set up is crap?..
the slp setup to my door was 700. plus having the shop install em.. (little time/ no patience mean id do a crap job).

then should i just start looking for a front set? that actually brings the front end down and not up?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by orangesspike
hm..

No, I think he means that if you want to go lower...

cutting the current springs = the 'fake' thing

purchasing better springs = the 'real' thing

then should i just start looking for a front set? that actually brings the front end down and not up?
That is what I would do, that way you can have both the proper ride height AND quality.

Just out of curiosity, how long have the springs been on? I would drive the car for about a week at least, just to give them time to settle.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree cutting will look fine if you do it right but not good for the suspension or curvies. I dont think eibach sells front and rear separate. might want to try BMR/hotchkis if it doesnt settle. I believe you can buy those seperate.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Teching In

thanx guys i think i get it now...

Well then Since i did not mention this b4, this is not my daily.
Also, were going on 2 months of having this slp setup in the car and the front is still monster truck high...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Orangespike:

I'd like to give you my opinion. With a decent shock/strut you can cut the stock spring no problem. I've done it with no ill effects. Also if you lower a car and the car doesn't sit correctly, say too high in the front or back, cutting the springs is a great option and there isn't anything wrong with it unless you cut too much.

The front springs are tricky; you want to start with a 1/4 of a coil at MOST at a time for your initial drop. If you are just trying to get an extra .5" out of an EBIACH spring that didn't lower your set up enough, just cut a 1/8th of a coil at a time to get the look you want.

The rear springs take more; you can start with 1/2 a coil and go forward on the stock spring to get the right look you'd like.

Again, cut springs aren't really that bad with a good shock/strut combo say like Konis or equiv. Now, cut spring with stock shocks/struts will ride awful.

Ok hope that helps!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

I cut those springs... it's been four years and 35K miles, and I'm still happy. To each their own.

2/3 of a coil off was a half inch drop from stock for me, and put the front level with the rear.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hm..

the slp setup to my door was 700. plus having the shop install em.. (little time/ no patience mean id do a crap job).

Hmm. Look at your results, then answer your own question. Bilsteins ARE NOT made for lowered springs. Call Bilstein and ask them.

SLP has not got much rep for truly effective, reasonably priced performance for our cars. Overpriced, marginal products, yes, they have athat reputation.

700? Hmm. Good springs from a variety of sources, under 250. Set of Bilsteins from Summit, was 365, now 411. Well under 700.

Well, you get what you get. i KNOW if you searched you could have heard of better solutions, by far.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

The Bilsteins that come with the SLP kit are valved to match the springs, so comparing them to off the shelf HD's is apples to oranges.

You tell him to buy stock HD's from Summit and match them with a sub-$250 spring? All of the aftermarket springs drop the car at least an inch. Which is it? "Bilsteins ARE NOT meant for lowered springs" or a "better solution, by far" is to drop the car and order stock Bilsteins from Summit?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jeffstar
Orangespike:

I'd like to give you my opinion. With a decent shock/strut you can cut the stock spring no problem. I've done it with no ill effects. Also if you lower a car and the car doesn't sit correctly, say too high in the front or back, cutting the springs is a great option and there isn't anything wrong with it unless you cut too much.

The front springs are tricky; you want to start with a 1/4 of a coil at MOST at a time for your initial drop. If you are just trying to get an extra .5" out of an EBIACH spring that didn't lower your set up enough, just cut a 1/8th of a coil at a time to get the look you want.

The rear springs take more; you can start with 1/2 a coil and go forward on the stock spring to get the right look you'd like.

Again, cut springs aren't really that bad with a good shock/strut combo say like Konis or equiv. Now, cut spring with stock shocks/struts will ride awful.

Ok hope that helps!

Awesome!, finally someone who doesnt think that is a sin to do such...
My bud had a v6 camaro bought lowering springs kept the stock shocks and it bounced like crazy, really bad ride..
This "slp" setup i have is a nice ride, just a bit stiffer than stock.
Like i said im only looking to cut a little bit off.. drop the nose about 1-1 1/2 inches..
Thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: Cut Springs?!