Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Rotors, LG Relocation Brackets and Hawk HPS pad installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Rotors, LG Relocation Brackets and Hawk HPS pad installed

I just got done with the installation of the C5 front rotor converstion. I used C5 Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads from the Tire Rack and the LG Motorsports C5 rotor adapter bracket for the F-body.

Things went pretty smooth. I used a combination of Chameleon T/A's write up on the LG brackets and the Install University rotor/pad install. I found that I had to swap the LG bolt and the stock GM bolt on the lower portion of the LG bracket and caliper bracket for everything to clear. On the top side of the LG bracket / caliper bracket I used the LG bolt in the LG hole and the GM bolt in the stock location. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing with the instructions.

I did have a guide pin that was a little corroded that required some extra brake cleaner, WD-40 and emory cloth to clean up but that wasn't a big deal. Cleaned it, lubed it and re-installed it.

I bedded in the brakes per the Tire Rack's website instructions with no problems. It seems to be a nice upgrade. The first side took me 1 1/2 hours with the corroded guide pin and being particularly careful and paying attention, the second side took me 1/2 hour. This was my first brake job ever and pretty easy.

I think it would have been nice if LG Motorsports had included some instructions with their brackets but other than that the LG brackets look to be a stout, nice piece.

Later,
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad my write up could help. Sounds like you have a nice set of brakes now. Enjoy they and yes the LG brackets are great, they just need some instructions on the install of them, that is why I wrote my install guide.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Good, now you need some corvette calipers to finish the transformation.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Good, now you need some corvette calipers to finish the transformation.
They dont do anything for you. To tell you the truth the fbody calipers have bigger pistons in front and C5 calipers means he has to change pads again. Only advantage of C5 calipers is they are pressure cast.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jargan04
They dont do anything for you. To tell you the truth the fbody calipers have bigger pistons in front and C5 calipers means he has to change pads again. Only advantage of C5 calipers is they are pressure cast.
That is exactly the reason I left my F-body calipers in place. I don't think I'll get any better brakes unless I spend a lot more money.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

But you do use the bigger rotor's now right? Many people are happy with this upgrade path.

I think stock there pretty good compared to my upgraded lt1 brakes(good rotors and ads)
Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

The f-body calipers are more prone to spreading under heavy-duty use, like on tracks or autocrossing. That's why the Vette calipers are better, from a durability perspective.

All that is needed now is some brake cooling ducts and you will have a very good low-cost brake upgrade.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if you use the fbody calipers, do you still need fbody brake pads or corvette brake pads?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Launching!

f-body pads.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jargan04

I`m going to have to totally disagree with your statements there. I swapped C5 calipers on the front of my car a while back. All I did was swap the calipers. I used the factory f-body abuntments and reinstalled my factory f-body brake pads. They slide right into the C5 calipers. And yes, there is a difference in the feel after swapping these calipers. The brake pedal is higher and firmer. The car freaking stops using the stock pads and rotors. Ask Bo White on this site what he thought. He drove my car.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jebcamaro
I`m going to have to totally disagree with your statements there. I swapped C5 calipers on the front of my car a while back. All I did was swap the calipers. I used the factory f-body abuntments and reinstalled my factory f-body brake pads. They slide right into the C5 calipers. And yes, there is a difference in the feel after swapping these calipers. The brake pedal is higher and firmer. The car freaking stops using the stock pads and rotors. Ask Bo White on this site what he thought. He drove my car.
Thats because you bled the brakes when you installed the new calipers. A new caliper dosent make the pedal higher and firmer, thats the fluid.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Thats because you bled the brakes when you installed the new calipers. A new caliper dosent make the pedal higher and firmer, thats the fluid.

Of course I bled the brakes, how else are you going to get air out of the lines.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Of course I bled the brakes, how else are you going to get air out of the lines.
I never said you didnt, but what im saying is the caliper isnt the cause of the better pedal feel.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then what was the cause. All I did was put C5 calipers on the front. Every other part was original to the car with 19,000 miles on it at the time.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then what was the cause. All I did was put C5 calipers on the front. Every other part was original to the car with 19,000 miles on it at the time.
The fluid was the cause. That was mostlikley the 1st time youve bled the brakes since having the car. If you would have kept the stock calipers and bled the system you would have had simlilar results.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
The fluid was the cause. That was mostlikley the 1st time youve bled the brakes since having the car. If you would have kept the stock calipers and bled the system you would have had simlilar results.
+1. When I pulled my calipers off to paint I reinstalled and bleed the brakes and it felt 100 times better
Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

DONAIMIAN is right. Bleeding your brakes makes them feel better. C5 calipers alone will NOT stop a car any faster, just like a drilled or sloted rotor will NOT make a car stop faster.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you taken any pics by any chance? Id like to see some please, thanks alot and congrats.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I`m about to being putting the C5 Z06 calipers on my car on all 4 corners because they are red and I don`t have to do anything to make them that way. The C5 calipers I have are for my 69 camaro that I`m building. I thought one day I would put them on just to see if there really is any difference. So with that, I think I will swap my stock LS1 calipers back on just to see if it really is just the fresh brake fluid. You maybe right. I`ll know for sure as soon as I do it though.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I`m about to being putting the C5 Z06 calipers on my car on all 4 corners because they are red and I don`t have to do anything to make them that way. The C5 calipers I have are for my 69 camaro that I`m building. I thought one day I would put them on just to see if there really is any difference. So with that, I think I will swap my stock LS1 calipers back on just to see if it really is just the fresh brake fluid. You maybe right. I`ll know for sure as soon as I do it though.
C5 rear calipers wont fit on the back of F cars.

Quick Reply: C5 Rotors, LG Relocation Brackets and Hawk HPS pad installed