Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTS-V brakes, something different

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn it. what was that site that had all the different corevette brake kits for f-bodies and such? i was looking at it yesterday and i didnt bookmark it.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably either Kore3 or bigbrakeupgrade dot com.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ebmiller88
You would need longer custom lines for this install as the banjo fitting is a bit lower than the stock LS1 setup is, I can provide these. Again, fitment will depend on which wheels are used. The rears will not be a direct bolt on, totally custom setup. I have not yet looked into it as the front issues aren't ironed out.

Ed
So how much longer will the lines have to be? Can you just use something like cts-v steel braided brake hoses from tirerack or something?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

I wonder how stoptech compares
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Well I had tried contacting Ed about dimensions on the CTS-V caliper that I could relay to CCW, but haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone have this info by any chance? I'd be more than happy to be the first to try this on a 4th-gen, I just need to make sure that the wheels would be able to clear the calipers. Lines are the other thing I'm trying to figure out.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Launching!

FYI, prices for the CTS-V calipers on gmpartsdirect are $188.18 each, and the Z06 rotors are at $96.01.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tavarez
I wonder how stoptech compares
Stoptech makes a great product (using basically the same caliper), but is expensive...which defeats the purpose of the cts-v setup.

Originally Posted by csxfbird
Well I had tried contacting Ed about dimensions on the CTS-V caliper that I could relay to CCW, but haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone have this info by any chance? I'd be more than happy to be the first to try this on a 4th-gen, I just need to make sure that the wheels would be able to clear the calipers. Lines are the other thing I'm trying to figure out.
CCWs would be great, but again, it defeats the purpose of the cts-v. If you are going to shell out 4k for wheels to make a $600 brake kit work, why not just spend 2k on a brake kit that already works.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone figured out if the rear calipers will work and if so what rotor to use?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fast377
Stoptech makes a great product (using basically the same caliper), but is expensive...which defeats the purpose of the cts-v setup.

CCWs would be great, but again, it defeats the purpose of the cts-v. If you are going to shell out 4k for wheels to make a $600 brake kit work, why not just spend 2k on a brake kit that already works.
1) Larger variety of brake pads, and more readily available too.
2) Brembo parts.
3) It's different.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Launching!

still no word on which brake hoses are a direct bolt up?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2) Brembo parts.
3) It's different.
Your statement makes no sense to me.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

This document says otherwise:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#20

Here's a list of the replacement pad numbers and their intended use.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/BBK/st-40.htm

Just clarifying information.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
This document says otherwise:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#20

Here's a list of the replacement pad numbers and their intended use.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/BBK/st-40.htm

Just clarifying information.
That document sys nothing of the sort. The CTS-V pads are just as common and have been out long before the CTS-V calipers were made.

Go here to see the different pads available.
http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/brkpadspec.html
If you want to count them all up for both calipers, be my guest, but I'm going to say they are equally abundant.

Are you maybe thinking of the C6 Z06 vette calipers? Now they have a small number of pads to choose from since they were designed specifically for that caliper and both are still pretty new.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
That document sys nothing of the sort. The CTS-V pads are just as common and have been out long before the CTS-V calipers were made.

Go here to see the different pads available.
http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/brkpadspec.html
If you want to count them all up for both calipers, be my guest, but I'm going to say they are equally abundant.

Are you maybe thinking of the C6 Z06 vette calipers? Now they have a small number of pads to choose from since they were designed specifically for that caliper and both are still pretty new.
It makes sense, provided one who reads it has good reading comprehension. Between the CTS-V brembo, the Stoptech ST-40, and the C6 Z06 PBR calipers, availability will depend on which manufacturer decides to manufacture for which FMSI shape, which all three and many others have been designed around. I have confirmed availability through many auto parts dealers worldwide. Your link confirms the like, even though it conveys the information slightly differently, which again is "otherwise" to the statement I refuted from that earlier post.

There's also a mention of the pad manufacturer and/or part dealer discretion, which are factors concerning availability.

Basic point. The the FMSI standard is a significant factor concerning pad availability, and therefore caliper or brake kit brand name isn't the sole factor to determine pad availability with.

The above information should help everyone who reads this, regardless of what they should opt for.

Here's something else interesting: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/otherwise

So I am right that the document states "otherwise" because even though you and I agree it's about the same availability (give or take), it's still contrary to the statement I refuted earlier, therefore I am using correct english.

Just some more clarification.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 08-29-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
It makes sense, provided one who reads it has good reading comprehension. Between the CTS-V brembo, the Stoptech ST-40, and the C6 Z06 PBR calipers, availability will depend on which manufacturer decides to manufacture for which FMSI shape, which all three and many others have been designed around. I have confirmed availability through many auto parts dealers worldwide. Your link confirms the like, even though it conveys the information slightly differently, which again is "otherwise" to the statement I refuted from that earlier post.

There's also a mention of the pad manufacturer and/or part dealer discretion, which are factors concerning availability.

Basic point. The the FMSI standard is a significant factor concerning pad availability, and therefore caliper or brake kit brand name isn't the sole factor to determine pad availability with.

The above information should help everyone who reads this, regardless of what they should opt for.
That's a good point, BUT, a lot of these pad manufacturers offer several compounds. I don't know if you guys are wanting different BRAND options, but at least there are lots of compound options. You guys would be surprised with pads. IF you know the FMSI number, you can get cheap *** pads for any car at any parts store (most anyway). I've ordered F40, 550, and 360 Ferrari pads, lots of Porsche pads, and pretty much any other car that gets road raced (for under $50 each)...don't ask me why. But you have to know that FMSI number, because obviously a parts store won't have a listing for Ferrari brake pads.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have to remember what site your on. Most folks here can't even spell comprehension.

The C6 Z06 padlet design is only 2 or 3 years old, which is why there are NOT many choices out there. Plus they cost more when you have to buy 12 of them just for the front of the car.

Anyway, I don't think many people want to hear all about the pads.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

So, I just found out that the new camaro has the exact same brakes as the CTS-V with the same rotors just 5 bolt hats. I have it on good word that the rotors will fit on the 4th gen. Hopefully this will help you guys out.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

New CTS-V is 5 lug.

Andrew
Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
New CTS-V is 5 lug.

Andrew
Yes they are. I was talking about the 1st gen CTS though.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
New CTS-V is 5 lug.

Andrew
It's also a 6pot caliper .

Quick Reply: CTS-V brakes, something different