Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got mine loaded off of ebay.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
I'm starting to think you may have got a "generic" Brembo version that will fit more than the CTS-V. Instead of making a gold one for the Subaru STi and that certain decal for the CTS-V, they just made them in basic silver with a basic Brembo decal. I'm not putting yours down though, I actually prefer them.
Attached Thumbnails CTS-V brakes, something different-big-bird-ws6-calipers-ebay-cts-v-20drews.jpg   CTS-V brakes, something different-big-bird-ws6-calipers-ebay-cts-v-20drews-202.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-14-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm starting to think you may have got a "generic" Brembo version that will fit more than the CTS-V. Instead of making a red one for the Evo, a gold one for the STi and that certain decal for the CTS-V, they just made them in basic silver with a basic Brembo decal. I'm not putting yours down though, I actually prefer them.
I like those as well. Didn't see them anywhere on eBay though.

I just ordered a set of the CTS-V Calipers off eBay for my swap.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned

I'm starting to think you may have got a "generic" Brembo version that will fit more than the CTS-V. Instead of making a gold one for the Subaru STi and that certain decal for the CTS-V, they just made them in basic silver with a basic Brembo decal. I'm not putting yours down though, I actually prefer them.
no mine are cts-v ones. they came with the cts-v on them. then sent the to silverghost. and he sand blasted them and powdercoated them the sivler i want. (it is darker then cts-v silver) and i had brembo sticker made.

but what is better about the sti style? why you perfer them?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

but what is better about the sti style? why you perfer them?
I prefer yours only because of the sticker.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

ok well they where made by me and silverghost. they match the rear. well i had the rear coated.

also the z06 has a drilled rotor. where do i find a good f-body rear drilled rotor?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I see, was really hoping to pick up a new pair from the dealer. I guess I will have to see if I can source the pieces anywhere

Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bthtap6
Here are the part numbers you requested.

89047727 driver side front caliper; less pads, pins and clips.

89047726 passenger side front caliper; less pads, pins and clips.

89047725 front disc brake pad kit

89047711 Front disc brake pad pin kit; 2 required.
If GM has dropped the loaded calipers then we will have to do a bit of research to see what we need. The bare caliper should come with the pistons, boots and bleeders. Then we would need pads, pins and clips.

The factory pads are quite good and very cheap when combined with the calipers, but if we have to buy them seperate we need to price them and then compare to similar aftermarket brands to make the best decision.

The clips and pins are essential. It looks like each caliper needs 2 pins and one clip. If someone can confirm this and maybe even take a picture of just these parts, it would be appreciated. It's possible that the GM pads come with a new clip. We'll have to investigate.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok well they where made by me and silverghost. they match the rear. well i had the rear coated.

also the z06 has a drilled rotor. where do i find a good f-body rear drilled rotor?
You might be able to get the stock rear caliper over a matching Z06 rear rotor or a cross drilled slightly smaller Z51 rear rotor. You'll at least get a big rotor look in the rear.

And don't worry about cheap drilled rotors for the rear. Since they don't get anywhere near as hot as the fronts, you shouldn't have any cracking problems. I know from experience.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

You might be able to get the stock rear caliper over a matching Z06 rear rotor or a cross drilled slightly smaller Z51 rear rotor. You'll at least get a big rotor look in the rear.

And don't worry about cheap drilled rotors for the rear. Since they don't get anywhere near as hot as the fronts, you shouldn't have any cracking problems. I know from experience.
if i use a z51. then will i still have the stock e-brake?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

if i use a z51. then will i still have the stock e-brake?
I'm pretty sure any of the C5 and up rear rotors will interchange with the LS1 rear rotors. You just have to move the caliper to the right location. I swear I've seen brackets available from some places just for this. You might check with the guys at Kore3 dot com.

Here are some pics of the pins and clips on a Caddy.

You don't even have to remove the caliper to change the pads. Just slide out the pins and clip, slide out the old pads, push back the pistons on both sides (there is a tool for that) and then drop in the new pads.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been getting emails from this thread for 3 years, did someone make this work?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tudds
I've been getting emails from this thread for 3 years, did someone make this work?
Not yet, but soon I hope.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I'll come back in 2 years next time
Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

rims should be here by monday and rotors here tomorrow. so i hope it is good to go by next friday.

but weither the rotors are interchangable or not. i need to know about the e-brake. lol
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Here's some prices and where I got my setup
I got almost everything from ebay; ls1s skip 2. make sure you read befor you buy so u can save moneys

1.(Ebay) Drilled black coated front z06 and rear ls1 rotors $350
I wanted them to match and black so they took the oem z06 stripped it and recoated it to match the rears

2. (Ebay)93-97 LT1s This is ONLY for you, front nuckle kit I.e. LS1 hubs LS1 calipers spindels sensors $150
(Thew away my lt1 stuff and gonna sell the ls1 calipers)

3. (Ebay) pair of cts-v calipers $275 fully loaded and new

4.braded stainless steel custom lines made for this applacation from ed miller

5. Adapers (ebay) for 129 shipped for a set of 4 so all tires will have a equally wider stance
Same price for 3/4 all the way to 2 1/2 I think

Powderc Coating cost me $95 for spindels and calipers in bright red !

wish I would have seen the adapters before I paid 69.99x4 for my adapters

I also paid 10.99 x4 for 16mm spacers that were to thin.

Hope I Helped and didn't confuse any 1

Last edited by Iyyob; 05-15-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Is it possible to use brake lines from a corvette or CTS-V? I want it so that everything can be bought off the shelf at some parts store. Don't want to have to go to one guy specifically just for one thing.

And there is a few sellers on ebay selling loaded calipers for under 300 bucks shipped.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

jason you got a pm
Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here are some questions and answers from the thread Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info which is now closed, but will still be updated with info and pics.

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I thought the Z06 rotors use 2 left rotors and one side doesn't cool properly? I think you are leaving out the fact only certain wheels will work and spacers are needed.

Also, wouldnt this kit be questionable in a race setup? I hope it is understood this is more of a street and bling setup than a reliable race setup.
GM only cast one rotor and it is used on both sides. Before the car came out it was supected that one side would run hot, but GM knows what they are doing. Both sides cool just fine even under race conditions.

Those that want a BBK know you have to have rims that clear. I don't need spacers, though most probably will. I'll add more info about that later on.

Where are you getting your information that this isn't a hardcore race setup? These calipers have proven themselves the world over under race conditions on numerous high performance vehicles. The OEM rotors are pretty much only raced with on vettes, but they have proven themselves to last there as well. Maybe your thinking of the 6 piston Vette calipers as not race ready.
Originally Posted by slow
will any C6 Z06 wheel work with this setup, without running wheel spacers?

Thanks for your hard work on this, makes a great value. (I wonder if they would fit on the GTO, the caliper to rim spoke distance is huge (2" approx w/ stock 18" rims) but I am sure the caliper/hat offset is totally incorrect.

Ryan
Yes to your first question. Any rim that clears the factory 6 piston caliper will also clear this CTS-V one.

That's a good question about the GTO, but I never researched them. It certaintly may work with the proper caliper bracket.
Originally Posted by z28bryan
I heard about the venting direction design flaw of the C6 z06 rotors.. not sure how true it is or not.

I mean if the brakes can handle what kind of racing you are doing, then I would think getting a bigger brake kit probably isn't going to make much of a difference. Bigger brakes can add unsprung weight. You'd probably have to buy some really expensive 19s if you wanted to keep the weight down. Most people will probably put a heavy C6 replica wheel on the car which will probably make you slower.

That being said, I'm pretty sure most people just want the kit for looks anyway. JasonWW is the ls1 bling king around here. While I don't always agree with using his mods for performance reasons, I think most of his stuff revolves around looks anyways which I'm pretty sure is the intent.

I don't trust GM too well with their performance testing and engineering
To say it's a "flaw" may not be accurate. Also keep in mind that the GM rotors are not the only choice. Blanks may be available from someone as well as proper directional vents. I just haven't looked around for them. update - I've added info on rotors from DBA. If any other companies are offering affordable rotors, please let me know.

Keep in mind that I'm off doing other mods now and never got around to buying all these brake parts. Plus I may also be swapping to a different aluminum spindle as well. I'm not a racer, either. I just tend to drive hard on the street. My thing is high speed runs. I wanted these brakes to both fill in the hole created by my big rims as well as for hauling me down from middle triple digit speeds. My goal is 200 mph, but I'm a ways off from that. It's either monster brakes or a parachute.

I'm the bling king? Not even close. If folks are just wanting big rotors then you can use a 13" or maybe 13.5" with 2 piston vette calipers under your 17" rim. With an 18" rim you can run this 14" rotor with the 2 piston vette calipers. Kits are already out there. It's bolt on.
Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Its the rotors I was concerned about...I'm more than sure it's not going to matter on the street, but after a few laps....let us know how it went.

I dont think vents is going to help if it's an issue with the rotors design.

I guess with the right forged wheels, (no spacers) and some better rotors, damn now your talking!!!!!!
Just check vette forums. There have been guys lapping with these rotors (and the stock 6 piston calipers) for several years now and the only complaints I ever heard concerned the 6 piston calipers. The rotors are working fine. If your still worried about the rotors you can go with aftermarket ones.

Cool air vents help a lot. The forward motion of the car way more than overcomes the air flow that naturally happens inside the rotors vanes. This is obvious to me. Just keep in mind all Z06's have forced air cooling. I bet the cooling vents are the reason these rotors work so well on the track.

If your going to run your F-body hard on a race track then there is a natural progression to brake upgrades.
Stock and swap to better pads.
Change to fresh and better brake fluid.
Add cool air vents.
Swap to 13" rotor.
Maybe swap to more aggresive pads.
If that's still not giving you the braking you want, then you probably need to step up to a Big Brake Kit. If you add the setup in this thread then you should already have cooling vents. I'm guessing that due to the affordable nature of this setup that some folks are skipping several steps. Then they think they can go out to a race track and beat the crap out of them. Guess what. If your fluid is old and you don't have cooling vents then your probably going to boil the fluid and get fade or maybe crack your rotors and then your going to point your finger at me or GM. It's not my fault or GM's either.

So if you want a track setup, do your research, change your fluid, add vents, use locktite on your caliper bolts, monitor your pad wear, check your rotor temps, etc... Don't just bolt this setup on and throw caution to the wind.

Why are folks bashing spacers/adapters? There's nothing wrong with using them. They're not even that expensive. Here's a trick to make your tires look more tucked in, add about 1* of negative camber. It moves the top of the tire in which makes it look more "tucked" plus it will improve your front grip.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

has anyone tried the new SS camaro brembo brake rotor? it might have the right spacing. last thing i read the calipers bolt up, but no one has got a rotor that works. just wondering if anyone had tried the new camaro front rotors

Quick Reply: CTS-V brakes, something different