Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any chance SDPC sells those?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good work on the caliper parts numbers.

As for the spacers, with a 315 tire and 50mm offset wheel like I have, it would rub. But, with a 275 it may not. 315-275=40mm. Half of that is on the outside and half on the inside. So, that takes 20mm off the outside of my tire. Since 25.4mm=1 inch, it only extends the tire 275 outwards from minte by 5mm. And, I've got 5mm space before I hit the finder. Now, if you've got the 38mm backspace wheels, no go.

Anyway, all this is elementary until we find a rotor that works. Not many are willing to spend $400+ on each rotor to be able to buy "cheap" calipers.

Oh, can you do us a favor? Check out the pads for it. Not the actual pads, but the dimensions. They look rectangular. What I'm wondering is if they have more overall area than an F-body or C5 caliper. I understand that they can modilate pressure better with the 4 pistons, but they may give something up ebcause they have less friction surface. I just don't know.

BTW, I won't be checking anything until next week. Got a race this weekend.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pads are rectangular and cover more surface area than the C5 and Fbody.. by about 8mm more (might be more)

Im using a 38mm SS wheel (ZR1 style) in the front with the 275/40/17 tire..

i'll try and post a picture of the pads if I can find a good one.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No need to post a pic of the pads for me. They are actually depicted on the exploded view I got from the dealer. Basically a rectangle with the inside curved to fit around the hat.

We need rotors!!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have the piston diameters of the front and/or rear calipers yet ??
Old 10-02-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chicane
Anyone have the piston diameters of the front and/or rear calipers yet ??

piston diameters? or caliper diameters? I have the caliper diameters.. I can look around for the piston size..
Old 10-02-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The CTS-V front caliper piston sizes are 46-40mm. The rear are square 40mm.

But what is more interesting is that the Brembo "GT" (which is what these are susposed to be) are 44-40mm.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 AM
12 Second Club

Why don't you use a C6 rotor which I believe is 12.8" and just have the bracket machines for the offset difference. You can move the Caliper in and out based on how the caliper bracket is made. That way it adjust for the rotor position. Granted you cant move it much but you could move it some.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

this has definately sparked my intrest to. hope u figure this out because it would be a sweet set up for the $$
Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by w02ramair
Why don't you use a C6 rotor which I believe is 12.8" and just have the bracket machines for the offset difference. You can move the Caliper in and out based on how the caliper bracket is made. That way it adjust for the rotor position. Granted you cant move it much but you could move it some.

well gee why didnt I think of that????? probably because the C5 and C6 are the same... and NO you can not move the caliper 27mm side to side... the caliper will only slip over the rotor 1 way.. you can not move it side to side... the caliper has an extreme overhang area... thus the need for the negative 27mm offset otherwise you hit the spokes of the wheel..

its the DEPTH offset not the diameter offset... read all the posts carefully before you post...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

ok smarty pants...i did some more research. Is it possible to use the C6 Z51 brake rotors since they are only 13.4" or is that to big for a 17" rim?

Here's the specs for the Z51.

Z51 Performance Suspension:

front: 13.4 x 1.26 / 340 x 32

rear: 13.0 x 1 / 330 x 26

not sure if 13.4" is to big but I dont know how tall that CTS-V caliper is.

But I do believe folks have used C6/C5 Rotors and C5/C6 Calipers with the custom mounting brackets. So other than a limited wheel size I dont see why this wouldn't work.

I am gonna keep researching. Next time be a little more tactile..you aint gotta be an *** about ****.

Last edited by w02ramair; 10-03-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
...the caliper has an extreme overhang area... thus the need for the negative 27mm offset otherwise you hit the spokes of the wheel..

its the DEPTH offset not the diameter offset... read all the posts carefully before you post...
That is mostly incorrect...

It's mostly down to the spoke design of the wheel and less with the wheel hub or even the rotor hat offset.

Example: Take two popular wheel designs, a ZR1 SS having a +50mm offset and a Z06 having +54mm offset, both being 17x9.5", guess what? Due to the spoke design of the Z06 with the +54mm offset, it will clear the Stoptech and or Brembo caliper with the specific F-body rotors without using a wheel spacer and on the contrary, the ZR1 design having +50mm won't clear the caliper edge due to its spoke design so I had to use at least a .25" spacer (only for a while). With a spacer, you will change the wheel hub offset in a sense, however you now have clearance issues with the fender. Bear in mind that when I used the template of my ST-40 kit, I discovered this before deciding on purchasing new wheel (luckily I didn't have to opt for some cheezy and questionable ricer-like wheels or get gouged for some overrated custom design).

Now it would suck to purchase some sort of wierdo design to clear the caliper, however it's only optimal to a point (when it get's exaggerated, it's not only ugly, but the spokes are heavy and not really functional).

Yes, you can change the wheel offest, however it's much more optimal to change to another wheel altogethor to have different spokes to clear than to change the offset considerably, which can create different issues with concerns to turn in (though it wasn't too bad, even with using spacers).

AFA the hat design and caliper mounting, you might want to use a similar spec (if not the same) measurement as what the brembo and/or stoptech uses. If you shall not desire to use their exact product, then you can always look at the coleman racing catalogue for custom made rotors.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by w02ramair
ok smarty pants...i did some more research. Is it possible to use the C6 Z51 brake rotors since they are only 13.4" or is that to big for a 17" rim?

Here's the specs for the Z51.

Z51 Performance Suspension:

front: 13.4 x 1.26 / 340 x 32

rear: 13.0 x 1 / 330 x 26

not sure if 13.4" is to big but I dont know how tall that CTS-V caliper is.

But I do believe folks have used C6/C5 Rotors and C5/C6 Calipers with the custom mounting brackets. So other than a limited wheel size I dont see why this wouldn't work.

I am gonna keep researching. Next time be a little more tactile..you aint gotta be an *** about ****.

you obviously dont get it.. and still have not read all the posts..

IT IS NOT THE DIAMETER OF THE ROTOR THAT IS A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(since you're from AR i'll explain it for you)

the problem is the distance of the hub surface (hub=the place where the wheel meets the rotor) to the rotor surface..

C6 & C5 wheels ARE OK FOR THE DIAMETER ... BUT their distance of the hub to the rotor surface is only 15mm or so.. To use a 38mm backspaced wheel (SS ZR1 type wheels) you need the rotor to have a minimum of 27mm from hub to surface of the rotor..

if you would have read what we have been discussing for weeks.. you would have already known this.. and I wouldnt have to be an *** about it..
Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
AFA the hat design and caliper mounting, you might want to use a similar spec (if not the same) measurement as what the brembo and/or stoptech uses. If you shall not desire to use their exact product, then you can always look at the coleman racing catalogue for custom made rotors.
since the stoptech brake caliper is an identical design and bears the same brembo casting #s as the EVO, STi, CTS-V caliper (from the email received from brembo america) thats where I have taken most of the same measurements from.. which i did back a few weeks ago and posted my findings..

Yes I already know you can use a different offset wheel.. I am using an SS ZR1 style wheel with 38mm backspace (since I already have them, and for others they are cheap to buy) I am using this for the basis of the testing since this is roughly an average wheel backspace on an Fbody with 17's.

again.. the whole reason for this thread was/is to be able to complete a kit usings parts that are cheaper and hopfully accessable without having to go the custom route for rotors and hats (which I already can get using different vendor from the ones listed) which are expensive as I have already listed their price on the previous pages.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Coleman is pretty darn cheap and can offer good quality. You really shouldn't rule them out.

From my 24 years experience, you can only be so picky before it's either unreliable or becomes a pain to maintain. Don't let stringent demands cloud your goals.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought I may have seen this mentioned, but I can't find it after sifting through the posts, but...
What about possibly contacting Stoptech and seeing if they'd sell the brackets and rotors seperatly?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

As for me and my arkansas self(not really from arkansas and I live in Maryland now, just haven't updated my profile) I will be switching wheels since Camaro wheels don't really go on TransAms.

For what its worth, I'm from Texas. And I did read your post but I don't care about your woes of having to stick with 1 type of wheel. But thanks for the idea and I hope that it works out for ya.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a certainty that StopTech will sell the friction rings seperately (including mounting stud kit). The hats and caliper brackets are the uncertainty, though I couldn't see why not (might not be cheap though).

http://www.stoptech.com/user/Product...=14564&catid=8

They're 235 USD.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

I already contacted stoptech... Foxxtron is right... the friction rings are $235 alone.. plus about $140-160 each for the hats and hardware.... they wont sell the brackets either..

brackets i dont care about... i have a person that will make them... problem is rotors.. i cant have brackets made, without having the proper size and backspaced rotor..

Quick Reply: CTS-V brakes, something different