Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTS-V brakes, something different

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
Does anyone know the rotor offset difference between the F-body and Vettes?
Nevermind, I re-read the first page and found that the offset difference is 6.3mm(1/4").

This would be ideal because I would only need to move my wheels out 1/4" vs the full 1/2". But it sounds like I would need to use a 2-piece rotor with the f-body offset, which means $$$$.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
I just checked the part numbers on gmpartsdirect.com the number listed for the camaro caliper is $83/each and the number listed for the G8 GXP is $216/each. There must be something different, can someone verify this?

acarnut can you provide us with more information other than the smaller bolt holes in the camaro caliper?
the Camaro caliper is threaded for larger bolts which requires drilling out your spindles. Other than that, there does not appear to be a difference, other than appearance.

The Camaro calipers are cheaper, but make sure you comparing prices for the calipers with or without pins. The US$83 price does not include pins.

I am on another board (pm for link) where the Pontiac G8 guys are all over this upgrade - and the gm parts dealer there offers a 'kit' where switching from the GXP front calipers to the SS version knocks almost $200 off of the conversion. It also looks like the Camaro SS rear brembos are a bolt-in for their rear suspension (the GXP does not get 4-pot rear calipers).
Old 11-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

I figured out the bracket for the cts-v Rear brakes. I just need to find the rotors with the E-brake in them. Does anyone know a place that sell custom rotors?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lethal35thSS
I figured out the bracket for the cts-v Rear brakes. I just need to find the rotors with the E-brake in them. Does anyone know a place that sell custom rotors?
Care to explain how they fit?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tudds
Care to explain how they fit?
I'm very curious about this also.

I'm guessing the stock 12" vented rotor is too small?? It would be ideal to keep the stock rear rotors and use CTS-V rear calipers, you don't need much more than 12" in the rear anyway.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lethal35thSS
Not that have the small drum built in.
I'd suggest looking at the larger C6 Z06 Vette rear rotors at 13.6" (340mm). I believe the drum parking brake size is the same as the F-body. This is the biggest rear rotor I know of unless a company makes an larger upgrade rotor for that car.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

very curious on the bracket as well.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

acarnut so that being said, its a direct bolt on besides for the size of the bolts. So I drill the spindle to and tap it to the bigger size, then use the new camaro rotors? stock? Im confused on the rotor part, I do have BMW style wheels in a +35 so rubbing wont be and issue.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAY-R
acarnut so that being said, its a direct bolt on besides for the size of the bolts. So I drill the spindle to and tap it to the bigger size, then use the new camaro rotors? stock? Im confused on the rotor part, I do have BMW style wheels in a +35 so rubbing wont be and issue.
the Camaro caliper is threaded for larger bolts which requires drilling out your spindles.

Then you use Z06 rotors. AFAIK the new Camaro SS and Pontiac GXP rotors have not been tested - they might fit better (eliminate the spacer washers) or not, but my wheels will clear them regardless, so I won't be chasing this any further.

Wheel spoke clearance is the issue, not offset. See the earlier posts to this thread.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by acarnut
the Camaro caliper is threaded for larger bolts which requires drilling out your spindles.

Then you use Z06 rotors. AFAIK the new Camaro SS and Pontiac GXP rotors have not been tested - they might fit better (eliminate the spacer washers) or not, but my wheels will clear them regardless, so I won't be chasing this any further.

Wheel spoke clearance is the issue, not offset. See the earlier posts to this thread.
100% understood!

Ill stay posted on the camaro SS and GXP rotor test fit.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

has n e one started looking at the brembo rear setup for the f-body? is it cost to get parts or something or time? if its cost maybe we can all pitch bucks to someone to start doin R&D, someone who knows there stuff, certainly not me lol. i'd be willing to send some bucks, paypal or what ever u know. n e one interested? start a thread a new thread? thats if the mods allow it. i dont see why they wouldnt this person wouldnt be making money out of it. or that much n e way.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acarnut
With the merging of the Zeta/Sigma platforms, does that make the new CTS a four-door Camaro?

No matter. As long as we can dip into the parts bins, I'm happy.

The part numbers I have so far:

Camaro SS Calipers, black with 'CHEVROLET brembo' lettering
These are threaded for 14mm mounting bolts and may require drilling out the mounting holes to fit the large diameter bolts (the CTS uses 12mm bolts)

G8 GXP Calipers, silver with "brembo" lettering
uses 12 mm bolts like the CTS-V calipers

(click to enlarge images)

from the measurements provided so far, these should just fit behind my 18" Z06 wheels without spacers. Sweet.
Does anyone know if the G8 GXP calipers are the same as the CTS-v calipers as far as doing the swap with the z06 rotors? ie: just need washers to for either one or is there something else different about them?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
EMC
Teching In

I have a brand new set of front CTS-V calipers loaded with pads that I'll part with if someone wants them. $320 shipped is the price. I can't use them on my car.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any verification if hte camaro ss brembos are any different than the cts-v calipers? I wanted to upgrade my truck brakes to the cts-v calipers and either 13 or 14 inch rotors but if the camaro ss calipers are the same as the cts-v i'd get the camaro ones, they are cheaper.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pavetim
Any verification if hte camaro ss brembos are any different than the cts-v calipers? I wanted to upgrade my truck brakes to the cts-v calipers and either 13 or 14 inch rotors but if the camaro ss calipers are the same as the cts-v i'd get the camaro ones, they are cheaper.
The general consensus is that they only require different bolts and drilling. I plan on trying them if you want to wait until summer when I finish school
Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavetim
Has anyone mounted them on a truck like yours yet?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was wondering on exactly do you know the right thickness for the rotor.other than just waiting ang going on the peddle feel?also does the camaro offer them all the way around or just fronts?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know nobody has tried them on a truck like mine yet. It sux cause my truck uses the shaft mount spindle. What i'm gonna do is machine a rotor down for a hub then custom make a bracket and modify the spindle for the camaro/cst=v calipers. Not sure what rotors i want to use yet cause since the spindle is shaft mounted the rotor offset is pretty big. I'll probably get a caliper first then figure out what rotor i'd need. I'll redrill a bolt pattern if I have too. Plus this is a good experiment too cause i'm gonna be doing brake mod on my firebird too, someday.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anybody know if the cts, gxp, or camaro calipers bolt up to a 06+ impala , Pontiac grand prix gxp or buick which I would assume to be a standard GM spindle ?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have more exact measure of the CTS-V caliper or an engineering drawing?

I saw a few posts where someone had a tape measure laid beside one.

I'm looking into adapting these to my LS1 powered M3.

Sorry for the post jack, but having trouble finding these measurements.

Quick Reply: CTS-V brakes, something different