Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace, Any Recomendations??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who are these guys mitch and Sam, and what do they know? Why do you inteligent people put up with them? A STB is very, very functional part. Where else could you hang wet shop rags over the exhaust manifolds to dry them out? I think you people should hang onto those STB's, I love it when your cars are heavier than mine!
Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Second_Infinity
I keep my STB mainly because it gives me something to lean on when working over a hot engine.
eeeexactly. i know it doesnt do jack **** performance wise and i'm not going to try and make myself think it does. i paid 30 bucks for a used BMR, stripped it, primed it, painted it, added a decal and cleared the **** out of it...it looks nice, gave me something to do for a few hours and gives me somethign to hold on under the hood

Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting, i thought the frame flexes Body panels would actually move a tad, isn't that why the dash in every camaro starts craking exactly at the same point?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STB is useless except for appearance but I definately noticed a difference the first time I drove the car after the subframes.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Argh. I bought an STB a year ago.. Only to hear that our car's don't need them!?

At least it'll make a good holding-onto point for the girlfriend when she's bent over the front of my car.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Argh. I bought an STB a year ago.. Only to hear that our car's don't need them!?

At least it'll make a good holding-onto point for the girlfriend when she's bent over the front of my car.
Now you're talkin'! That's the best use for one I've heard yet! And have the engine going so she gets the heat the vibes too! Hopefully you have a big cam so the idle is rough . . . I bet my lady would like that! Darn, now I wish I had a STB!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Do they make one that comes foward and not straight over the engine? My girlfriend is kinda short... plus I dont want her touching the paint . I have heard both ways, I'm not an expert or anything, but if you want one.. why not get a light weight one and polish it up... its kind of a win win right? You have something that looks good, and light, and maybe it might help handling.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CompTA
SFCs, also useless except as jacking points, as noted, notably (hah), by Sam Strano who tested with and without them on the track.
Could you, or someone please explain to me, if our chassis are not experiencing any flex, what causes the "torque dimples" on our rear quarter pannels? No, its not hail, my car has an *** load of them and has never been in hail.
I honestly cant see how stiffening the chassis of a car is bad, engineers spend millions on developing very stiff chassis.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1BRN
interesting, i thought the frame flexes Body panels would actually move a tad, isn't that why the dash in every camaro starts craking exactly at the same point?
They do work....undo the bar bolts while car is on ground--pretty easy...then put the car on a frame lift a foot or so until the wheels are hanging..the bolts are 10x harder to undo.....if you are going into a sharp corner and alot of weight is shifted, it will help.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
They do work....undo the bar bolts while car is on ground--pretty easy...then put the car on a frame lift a foot or so until the wheels are hanging..the bolts are 10x harder to undo.....if you are going into a sharp corner and alot of weight is shifted, it will help.
have you done this before?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Wow ... that is some serious grip if you go through a corner and the inside front wheel is a foot off the ground.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't care what people are arguing over.

It made a difference in my car. T-top cars will feel more diff than hardtops. To feel some difference, put your finger in the space between teh ttop and the apillar while driving, you will feel it flex and press on your finger. After my STB, it didn't press on my finger as much.

BTW, I got the BRM Xtreme STB. Much bigger than all the other ones out there. And BOY did I noitce a difference!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody here heard of strain guages? If not, then you can't prove the STB works for any matter. Just claiming that the car is put on a lift with the wheels hanging to prove the type of "chassis flex" that occurs while the vehicle is manoeuvering on the ground won't work on this type of vehicle. Heck, on both of my vehicles I have mistakenly lifted the vehicle with hydralic and scissor jacks inadvertantly in several wrong places, and there hasn't been any "tweaking" of the monocoque. If anything, you must use a frame measuring machine to accurately measure the the significant points of geometry over several mileage intervals, and even so, that's only first of several steps.

Also, can anybody explain why practically all STB's attach by only the two front bolts of the shock towers and not all four, especially since using all four would be more ideal for that purpose? Even so, it still won't be a dramatic effect since STB's don't change suspension geometry. Heck, the chassis geometry barely changes while in motion, even with "those two front end bolt attachment" per side STB's.

I can prove that it's just dead weight, why, because there are NO changes in the stress areas that an STB promises to help. Also, there is not a difference in lap times with or without. I did this utilising strain guages with the telemetry and all other control factors held constant. The only thing changed significantly was the STB installation.

One last question, what shocks are you guys running, and what are your valvings? Those things make a whole lot of difference, since they have a dramatic effect on suspension geometry.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Anybody here heard of strain guages? If not, then you can't prove the STB works for any matter. Just claiming that the car is put on a lift with the wheels hanging to prove the type of "chassis flex" that occurs while the vehicle is manoeuvering on the ground won't work on this type of vehicle. Heck, on both of my vehicles I have mistakenly lifted the vehicle with hydralic and scissor jacks inadvertantly in several wrong places, and there hasn't been any "tweaking" of the monocoque. If anything, you must use a frame measuring machine to accurately measure the the significant points of geometry over several mileage intervals, and even so, that's only first of several steps.

Also, can anybody explain why practically all STB's attach by only the two front bolts of the shock towers and not all four, especially since using all four would be more ideal for that purpose? Even so, it still won't be a dramatic effect since STB's don't change suspension geometry. Heck, the chassis geometry barely changes while in motion, even with "those two front end bolt attachment" per side STB's.

I can prove that it's just dead weight, why, because there are NO changes in the stress areas that an STB promises to help. Also, there is not a difference in lap times with or without. I did this utilising strain guages with the telemetry and all other control factors held constant. The only thing changed significantly was the STB installation.

One last question, what shocks are you guys running, and what are your valvings? Those things make a whole lot of difference, since they have a dramatic effect on suspension geometry.
And the STB legend dies...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now kill the SFC one, if there is one. You'll save me hundreds of dollars.

Yes, I'm the guy that always goes with the grain. But at least I'm not a ricer?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Krab
And the STB legend dies...
Not bloody likely ...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Sam knows his stuff but he is most definately the soup **** of suspensions.
Thanks for the new sig-quote! What a true statement

edit: sorry for bringing this back from the dead
Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

I got a new Pro Fab one on Ebay for $65.00 shipped
Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Teching In

yeah mine is triangulated to the radiator support and i felt a differance when taking corners
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brujo98ss
yeah mine is triangulated to the radiator support and i felt a differance when taking corners

? never seen that. demanding pics

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace, Any Recomendations??