Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Disadvantage to Slotted Rotors Only - No Holes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disadvantage to Slotted Rotors Only - No Holes

I am looking at getting some of the Rotoworks rotors from ws6store.com but after reading this thread's sticky I don't see any reason why I would want holes drilled in them.

So, my question is, since the Rotoworks rotors can be ordered as "slotted only" is there any disadvantage to ordering them that way? I don't like the appearance of drilled rotors anyway, so from that standpoint I am fine with slotted only. I just want to know if I would be causing a potential issue by going with slotted only.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will wear brake pads more quickly (based on my experience), it's like running your pads across a cheese grater. Also, they can make a whirring noise when you stop, some people notice it and complain, others don't. They have a better chance of cracking than a standard blank, but if they are properly done, the'll hold up better than cheap/poorly done slotted rotors. Unless you're after "the look", I'd buy blanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

2002-2004 Z06 rotors (slotted/drilled) were evidently for appearance only.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Proud2bSS
I don't believe they came slotted on those cars, at least not the ones I've seen. Either way, you seem surprised by the fact that a manufacturer (assuming they sold them drilled or slotted) would sell people what they want to buy, instead of what works best?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Funny comment as those cars have normal rotors.... The new Z06 and Z51 Vette's have drilled rotors. But notice the Z06 which has bigger brakes has more drilling than the smaller braked Z51. Also those rotors were designed to be drilled, not some blanks that were drilled like is the case with our cars. And they have larger brakes/more swept area and so can afford a slight loss in area vs. out smaller brakes.

You could look at things and say "well they do it", or you could look at things in context and consider all the reasons why a Corvette, a race car, a Porsche of anything else might do something different. That'd be like saying everyone on the world has to wear a size 10 shoe.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rybo Flavin
I am looking at getting some of the Rotoworks rotors from ws6store.com but after reading this thread's sticky I don't see any reason why I would want holes drilled in them.

So, my question is, since the Rotoworks rotors can be ordered as "slotted only" is there any disadvantage to ordering them that way? I don't like the appearance of drilled rotors anyway, so from that standpoint I am fine with slotted only. I just want to know if I would be causing a potential issue by going with slotted only.
I would also like to know if slotted only rotors will cause any issues???
Old 10-10-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dads 05 Vette has drilled
Old 10-10-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

The discussion of rotor friction surface artifacts have been beaten to death. What more can be said about how the connection of physics of holes to the excess marketing to lemmings.

The brake sticky tells the truth.

My vote? Just save your money and stick with the real deal: quality stock replacement blanks, such as Brembo blanks. If you're looking to make some slight improvements to your brake system that really work, then look more to the pads and the brake fluid.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hence why I said "for appearance only" above, as many studies show that they are indeed inferior to quality blank rotors for maximum braking power.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hence why I said "for appearance only" above, as many studies show that they are indeed inferior to quality blank rotors for maximum braking power.
And what we were saying is that the C5 Z06's had blank rotors from the factory (non drilled, non slotted), so you're arguement didn't make any sense.

Quick Reply: Disadvantage to Slotted Rotors Only - No Holes