Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Newbie starter kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie starter kit

What are the essential suspension mods I should get? I was looking at a STB, SFC's, and LCA's. How much difference do relocation brackets make and are they necessary for an un-lowered car? This is not a strip car, just my daily driver. The only racing I do is pretty much stoplight to stoplight. Will these mods help me hook up better from a dig and not get so loose in the turns? Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Nobody wants to help the new guy?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

How about none of the above? Not as first steps anyway.

Shocks above all, swaybars, springs are all way more important on the handling front than the things you mentioned. I don't have any of the three on my car, and it's kind of a proven handling car.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Teching In

I'm not looking for the best handling, really, I just don't want to spin my tires so easily. I'm looking to get more power to the ground for better launches. I don't have all that much power, but I can easily burn out from a stop with my automatic. And when they do hook up, I get wheel hop or chirp the tires shifting into 2nd.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Also, I had the shocks replaced a couple months ago.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's a little different... but still STB and SFC's won't help. LCA's, TA, and so on will. There are tons of options for all. I sell UMI part more than anything. I'd give you pricing here, but there are too many different options to do so here and now.

If you'd like some advice, feel free to call.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Teching In

I just ordered some UMI LCA's last night, but not the SFC's. I think I'll go with the TA and maybe a panhard rod for now. Thanks for the advice. I got the UMI STB still, but it was a good deal
Old 10-11-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost everyone recommends SFCs as one of the first mods to make.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And almost everyone can't separate chassis mods from suspension mods. Sorry, but it's true. And I don't have SFC's on my car and it's not exactly falling apart and I do launch it @ ProSolo's, sometimes @ upward of 4k rpm on 315 R-comps.

And I sell UMI stuff (among other things), and I was the one who chimed in here--selling parts is how my business runs. Advice, regardless of who gives it, should get that business some consideration. Not necessarily the sale as advice alone is worth what you pay for it, but knowledge isn't. And FWIW, there are different types of control arms, and some are way better than others are. But, you ordered already so I guess that ship has sailed!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P_funk22
I'm not looking for the best handling, really, I just don't want to spin my tires so easily. I'm looking to get more power to the ground for better launches. I don't have all that much power, but I can easily burn out from a stop with my automatic. And when they do hook up, I get wheel hop or chirp the tires shifting into 2nd.
Ok. If you want to stop your tires from spinning, get drag radials! (or wider wheels and tires) THEN see if you still have a problem with wheel hop. IF hop is still an issue, address it.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Need good tires!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And almost everyone can't separate chassis mods from suspension mods. Sorry, but it's true. And I don't have SFC's on my car and it's not exactly falling apart and I do launch it @ ProSolo's, sometimes @ upward of 4k rpm on 315 R-comps.
First of all i love reading what you have to say cuz its a learning experience, so thank you. Second of all I think that SFC are absolutely needed on SOME cars. My car for instance had wrinkles show up in the rear quarters after driving hard......I added SFC and they stopped. I know most cars arent like this but mine was and i have heard of other's having cars like mine. So i wouldnt just go out and buy SFC unless you are one of us who need them.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I just got my SFC's installed yesterday. And probobly have driven 20 miles since total. And I think it makes the car feel alot tighter. I think it was well worth the money so far. I know it won't help with hooking up and stop spinning. But if this guy daily drives his car or wants to have an tighter maybe more enjoyable ride( my opinion). Then he should look into getting SFC's. But Sam Strano is right its not so much a suspension mod as it is a chassis mod. But it still makes my car feel and ride better. But, for sure Sam Strano is correct STB, SFC's, and LCA alone don't help much for spinning. I have all those and I spin still.

Last edited by ls1ssdavid; 10-16-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Man I have LCA's, SFC's, M-PHB, STB and a TA. (have a few acronyms) I STILL get crazy wheel hop. LCA reloc brackets and stickier tires are coming soon. That'll solve my wheel hop, and probably melt my rear end.

If you want grip. Get the TA, reloc brackets and the PHB but do the right thing and get them from Sam. He did help you out.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And... stock shocks.

Shocks can tame wheelhop. Compression damping in a shock is there to control the unsprung mass of the car, in our case, that mass is the ENTIRE REAR AXLE, BRAKES, WHEELS/Tires, TA (half of it anyway), REAR SWAY BAR, etc.

I'm not saying shocks are the cure-all every time, but like these other parts they do have an effect (aside from the ride and handling gains).
Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

relocation brackets are cheep and they make a hell of a difference, at least that is what i noticed the most
Old 10-19-2006, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be giving you a call soon Sam. My car is bouncing all over the road on stock shocks with 94k on them. I'm kinda confused on what to go with and sometimes it's hard to sort out what is myth and what is fact. I saw you just came out with a set of springs too and I have my eye on those. Still loving the front swaybar I got from you almost a year ago and it's definitely time to beef up some more stuff.

Quick Reply: Newbie starter kit