Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions? on some suspension stuff im getting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions? on some suspension stuff im getting

Think im gonna put some KYB Gas a justs on the rear of the car ($35 each) my decarbons are @ 100k or more (who knows) and iv read the KYB's keep the backend up and dont budge really (What im looking for and im on a tight budget).

also had a question was looking at lowering stuff and saw some clamps to hold the springs they are adjustable from .5-4" of lowering JC whitney offers them here
Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

All the time and money you have in your car (I'm looking at your sig) and you plan to cobble together what is a horrible "suspension". Do you get the idea that your plan it flawed? What you are planning on is paramount to using flexible exhaust tubing as headers and just making it fit.

Tight budget? I don't know, it seems you had plenty for all the other (not cheap) stuff on your list. I'd have to think your budget is tight because you want it to be on this one. Maybe from a lack of understanding of the suspension?

If you can't lower the car the right way, with appropriate springs and dampers to match, don't lower it. And if you just want to replace the shocks, then a set of Bilstein's @$349 is a WAY better choice than what you are planning.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to jump in, but where can i get a set of Bilsteins? ive also heard about re-valved Bilsteins? fill me in
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I carry Bilstein. HD, SLP and Revalves (I'm the guy who really started the Revalving of Bilstein's big time for these cars).

There are two issues. Biggest one is that HD's and therefore Revalves are not around until November as Bilstein is out of stock on fronts and we make Revalves from HD's. The other one is that Bilstein screwed up the rear HD that as it's listed in the catalog. I run a different HD in place of it, one that is much better than the "new" HD rear valving which is much more like a DeCarbon than it should be IMHO. Basically a set of HD's like I sell it not the same as HD's that everyone else sells.

Revalves FWIW are not all the same. Valving rates vary depending on what springs are in use on the car, and what the car is used for most.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

well i wouldnt use those lowering things i was just asking (just like i wouldnt heat them up and lower them)

now the gas shocks iv read they arnt that bad yes i know blistiens are the **** but hell if those kybs are stiff as hell why not?? any body used the gas shocks here? are the blistiens pretty stiff?

Last edited by Gun5; 10-13-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

bump tttt
Old 10-14-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gun5
well i wouldnt use those lowering things i was just asking (just like i wouldnt heat them up and lower them)

now the gas shocks iv read they arnt that bad yes i know blistiens are the **** but hell if those kybs are stiff as hell why not?? any body used the gas shocks here? are the blistiens pretty stiff?
"Stiff" is not usually a desirable characteristic of shocks. A shock uses a series of passages, discs, seals and springs to control the rate that the piston can pass through the oil in the shock. If we sealed those passages up completely, the shock would be very "stiff" because the piston wouldn't want to move. It wouldn't be a good shock, but it sure would be stiff. There is far more to it than "stiff". You want a shock to control the motion of the body and suspension. Everyone has a different idea of "proper", but for the shock to do its job properly, it needs to have the passages tuned to control the body and suspension motion. You wouldn't just buy a cam based on its lift specs, would you? You need to know the duration and other important information to get a package that works with your combo. Shocks are much the same way, but it's difficult to get shock dyno numbers on most shocks (and even more difficult to get someone who knows how to read them). However, the point of all of this is that you don't want to buy shocks that are simply "stiff".

In this case, I'd ask for advice and listen to those who have more experience with shocks than you do.

And, the Bilstien is a better shock than the KYB if you ask me.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trackbird
"Stiff" is not usually a desirable characteristic of shocks. A shock uses a series of passages, discs, seals and springs to control the rate that the piston can pass through the oil in the shock. If we sealed those passages up completely, the shock would be very "stiff" because the piston wouldn't want to move. It wouldn't be a good shock, but it sure would be stiff. There is far more to it than "stiff". You want a shock to control the motion of the body and suspension. Everyone has a different idea of "proper", but for the shock to do its job properly, it needs to have the passages tuned to control the body and suspension motion. You wouldn't just buy a cam based on its lift specs, would you? You need to know the duration and other important information to get a package that works with your combo. Shocks are much the same way, but it's difficult to get shock dyno numbers on most shocks (and even more difficult to get someone who knows how to read them). However, the point of all of this is that you don't want to buy shocks that are simply "stiff".

In this case, I'd ask for advice and listen to those who have more experience with shocks than you do.

And, the Bilstien is a better shock than the KYB if you ask me.
ya im thinking now ill save for them i found a site that sells the rears for $68 a pop and fronts for $80 aka I can geta whole bilstien setup for $296 w/ free shipping
Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Sigh ....
Old 10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgarnett
Sigh ....
I was thinking exactly that as well.....
Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gun5
ya im thinking now ill save for them i found a site that sells the rears for $68 a pop and fronts for $80 aka I can geta whole bilstien setup for $296 w/ free shipping
In case you didn't understand the sigh I'll spell it out, and I'm not often in this section...

Sam and trackbird are very well versed on suspension. Sam is one of the most respected suspension gurus/suppliers in the industry, and both of them compete with their setups.

Sam just finished mentioning that not all Bilstiens are created equal, and now you are willing to take a worse quality shock, thereby sacrificing ride quality and performance (not to criticize the standard Bilstiens), simply so you can save $50.

While it is refreshing that you have decided not to blow your money on $35 shocks, your still not taking advantage of their immense experience and knowledge of the subject.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
In case you didn't understand the sigh I'll spell it out, and I'm not often in this section...

Sam and trackbird are very well versed on suspension. Sam is one of the most respected suspension gurus/suppliers in the industry, and both of them compete with their setups.

Sam just finished mentioning that not all Bilstiens are created equal, and now you are willing to take a worse quality shock, thereby sacrificing ride quality and performance (not to criticize the standard Bilstiens), simply so you can save $50.

While it is refreshing that you have decided not to blow your money on $35 shocks, your still not taking advantage of their immense experience and knowledge of the subject.
Well my local LT1/LS1 mechanic that has put these bilstiens on cars before he said ya its not the best but definitly better then $200 for another setup he's also put tiens and other setups on cars.. also we i goto the bilstien website its only showing one model for us the ones im looking at arethe "heavy duty ones"im not saying sam or anyone doesnt know anything about shocks but i dont have $700 to spend on them and i could never justify that much for them

Quick Reply: Opinions? on some suspension stuff im getting