Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pro kit problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pro kit problems

I have had my pro kit on for awhile now,so it is good settled in,and the rear is really soft,I use bilstien shocks,and seems like its its the bump stops alot.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

I had this problem also and the rear always looked lower than the front. I had called Eibach and they sent some tubbing to wrap around the spring. I wasn't happy with that either so they refunded my money.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was the rumor floating around here for awhile, that the rears would end up getting too soft and settle lower then the front, yet nobody said it had happend to them. I bet you will start hearing more about this problem soon though considering most people on this site are running the pro-kit. Anyways, sorry about your luck! I think with your post it made up my mind to go with hotchkis springs, Its not the drop I'd like but with my system in the trunk, and with the rear sagging like yours eventually- Im gonna need some extra support with mine. Looks like your gonna be swapping springs soon huh?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Will haven't decided yet,I am thinkin about cutting 1/2 coill off the front,and maybe add a isolater to the rear.Or order a set of bmr springs and cut the fronts.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if these spacers would be the answer. http://www.budzter.com/spacers.html
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

It's "soft" and the rear moves a lot because the shocks don't have the damping they should for lowering springs. Has nothing to do with height and the rate is pretty similar to most springs out there (including stock). And yes, you use you bumpstops, so does the car stock, and with any other lowering spring as well.

You feel into the trap of not having adequate damping for the job, so the shocks don't damp the movement, and allow the rear to keep moving instead of taking a set.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-23-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's "soft" and the rear moves a lot because the shocks don't have the damping they should for lowering springs. Has nothing to do with height and the rate is pretty similar to most springs out there (including stock). And yes, you use you bumpstops, so does the car stock, and with any other lowering spring as well.

You feel into the trap of not having adequate damping for the job, so the shocks don't damp the movement, and allow the rear to keep moving instead of taking a set.

I am not saying your wrong on the shocks,I went with what Eibach recommend to me when I bought there springs.Also I noticed to the right is lower than the left by almost 3/8th's of a inch.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Swap the springs and see if the height changes..... if it doesn't, it's not the springs. And regardless of with Eibach recommended, they aren't really right.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

I called Eibach and there tech guy told me to switch springs side to side and and see if it the same.I was WTF how would switching side to solve anything.It would just lip how the car is,Then he told me if it does change side to side I could send them in and they would check them to see if there "bad".
Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Swap the springs and see if the height changes..... if it doesn't, it's not the springs. And regardless of with Eibach recommended, they aren't really right.
What shocks would suggest.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Revalved Bilsteins, firmer for the lesser travel/higher rate of lowering springs.... or Koni's. Really those are the only shocks that have the damping required without unwanted changes in compression damping (like KYB AGX's), and the quality of both is far superior to lesser shocks as well.

Which exactly? I can't say here. I don't know enough about what you expect/would want from the car to recommend anything. It's why I spend so much time on the phone with people, so we can figure out what's best for them.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

If a car has settled to one side after the springs have broke in would that becaused by the springs.Both front and rear are the same hight.I measured and both side's front to back have the same measurement,but the right is 3/8's lower.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you center the rear with an adjustable panhard rod?

I've noticed that with my Pro Kit (on my 94Z) that my rear sits about 1/4" off to the side, and my pass side rear is lower than my driver's side rear (by about a finger thickness).

My adjustable PHR is supposed to be here today, I'm going to put it on, hopefully that'll help some with the height difference (and also the clunking that I think I'm hearing from the LCAs being angled like that). If it doesn't change the ride height, I may make a small spring perch shim.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My third gen done the same thing, with brand new Eibach pro-kits the rear settled way down and floats like the shocks are bad. I installed brand new Koni's when I installed the springs so it isn't the shocks. I've been debating on what kind to get for my Z-28 since I'm running 17x11's on the rear.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Where are your Koni's set? Have you tried a firmer rebound setting? If you haven't, how can you say it's not a relative lack of damping? Come on fella's, lets be practical here. The springs may or may not be ideal for your situation, but a floating feeling is a mis-match in damping, not generally a spring issue. This is why your Koni's are adjustable. Try it, if it doesn't help or change things, the we can move on.

Specifics are important BTW. Sloppy is a pretty generic term for example until we know WHEN the car is sloppy. All the time? Just when turning in to a corner? Only when hitting certain kinds of dips or bumps? All those things matter.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Did you center the rear with an adjustable panhard rod?

I've noticed that with my Pro Kit (on my 94Z) that my rear sits about 1/4" off to the side, and my pass side rear is lower than my driver's side rear (by about a finger thickness).

My adjustable PHR is supposed to be here today, I'm going to put it on, hopefully that'll help some with the height difference (and also the clunking that I think I'm hearing from the LCAs being angled like that). If it doesn't change the ride height, I may make a small spring perch shim.
Yeah,i have a adj panhard bar.and my pro kit sits the same way the right is lower,by a whole finger width.I pulled the rear out and measured them and they are both the same,and I measured them with the isolator on them and it the same I whiched them side to side,and am going to break the fronts down tomorrow.I am almost afraid to reassemble them with these springs.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

the springs and shocks assembled are the same in front,I cant figure out why one side would be lower when both sides are the same.

On the rear you should point the open end of the coil to the front,is the front the same,is there a special way to postion the springs.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You know not all cars sit perfectly level. Yours it one if you swapped springs and nothing changed. No reason to think that will be any different with another set of springs, regardless of who made them.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

my ss and the z28 i had before both set lower on the passenger side, im pretty sure my buddys Z28 does the same too... all when they had stock suspension too.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

I have never had a car that didn't set level,it set perfectly level with the stock springs.I measured the ride height before I switched them,It looks kinda dumb when one side is visually taller than the other,I just can't figure out what happened between springs.

Quick Reply: pro kit problems