Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which shocks for BMR springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which shocks for BMR springs?

Sorry if I posted prematurely but I am fixing to go to work so haven't really searched a whole lot. I just bought the 95 Z in my sig and it has stock shocks and red springs all the way around. It appears that the springs are BMR as they are the only company I know that has red springs. (Let me know if they are something else.) I was wondering which shocks go well with these springs. I didn't want to buy a shock that didn't fit the spring. I was thinking QA1's up front so I could tune for the strip. Anything good and cheap for the back?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would get some Bilstein revalves fron Sam Strano!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I had read a few posts about those shocks. I'll check them out. Perhaps the site will have the answer to my question of whether or not these have been revalved for drag racing.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn those are expensive! But I get the idea these are geared more toward road racing.... Anyone have any comments on that?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get the revalved Bilsteins. The car won't ride very well with stock shocks and you really need a shock that is setup to handle the new springs. I have Koni SAs with my BMR springs and the car rides great. I had to put my factory shocks back on for a short time and I hated it. You can use stock shocks and you may think it rides fine but trust me once you get a GOOD set of shocks on the car you won't know what you've beem missing out on

Last edited by 01 Red WS6; 11-10-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im getting BMR springs.. i need to find a good cheap strut/shock for the car i dont really have $300-400 to spend on the crap ill be installing myself my backs are blown out and fronts are probably to so anythings better then this crap
Old 11-10-2006, 04:17 AM
TECH Resident

Sportlines are red. I think the prokit is red too... im not sure about the prokit tho. Sportlines are red for sure tho.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
Sportlines are red. I think the prokit is red too... im not sure about the prokit tho. Sportlines are red for sure tho.

Car is definitely lowered. I'll have to take my other car and put it next to the red one to tell for sure. Hopefully when I get under it I can see a logo or something. Apparently the shock I choose will fit the springs as long as they're not stock.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Get the revalved Bilsteins. The car won't ride very well with stock shocks and you really need a shock that is setup to handle the new springs. I have Koni SAs with my BMR springs and the car rides great. I had to put my factory springs back on for a short time and I hated it. You can use stock shocks and you may think it rides fine but trust me once you get a GOOD set of shocks on the car you won't know what you've beem missing out on
I've read good things about these but I need something for weight transfer. I'm leaning towards F Series QA1's for the front and a Summit 3 way drag shock for the back.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm using Koni Sa with BMR, I love the combo.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Breezing through Summit's catalog, looks like Sportlines are red and Prokit is not. I know I don't have the Sportlines cuz the car ain't that low. Pretty sure I have the BMR springs. (Car is at a friend's garage or I'd go look.)

Vikingramair, how are the Koni's with weight transfer? Everyone has replied with a handling shock. I want drag racing! I know the QA1's are the best for that but I wanted to see if anyone was running them with the BMRs.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

OK got a chance to call BMR. They said the QA1's will give out with street use pretty quick. Maybe that's why no one recommended them, lol. You just had to say it! They recommended Koni for street/strip with their springs.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

And I'm glad to hear it. I also happen to agree. Issue is simple, these aren't drag springs, they aren't ideal for transferring weight anyway. Shocks are spring dampers, and drag shocks can't control heavy springs well in the first place. In tandem it's far from ideal.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And I'm glad to hear it. I also happen to agree. Issue is simple, these aren't drag springs, they aren't ideal for transferring weight anyway. Shocks are spring dampers, and drag shocks can't control heavy springs well in the first place. In tandem it's far from ideal.
I spoke with the lady that works for you and she talked a lot about the different shock setups you guys offer. We didn't get into great detail but talked about what didn't work with the BMR's. We ultimately decided to find out for sure which springs they were and then decide on a shock set. She recommended the Koni SA's for all around street/strip. Based on your comment on the BMR springs, would you say a Koni SA shock set with the BMR springs to be a good street/strip combo? Because BMR sells these springs, I would assume yes. I didn't want to continue with this combo if you thought I should go with a different spring. At the same time, I didn't want to buy different springs since these were already on the car.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Lowering springs in general aren't great for launching.... If you have them you could run them, but they are ultimately stiffer in the rear than other lowering springs which isn't great for weight transfer.

Koni's with those springs will work well. The hitch is I'm not sure the springs are ideal for what you want, or that any lowering spring, mine included, are the best for what you want. Biggest issue being I don't know exactly what you want, and can't know that from e-mail.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the reply. I don't want a cornering machine. I just want a car that rides decent on the street but will transfer weight at the drag strip. I'm not necessarily looking for $$$ aftermarket stuff. I just want the best tradeoff for street and strip. I'm ready to ditch the springs if I have to.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, lowering springs aren't what I'd do on a car meant to launch. Ride and handling are still shock related and running Koni's is still the best choice, but you'd be better off @ the strip on a set of stock springs. And Koni SA's will allow you to keep the car a little lower even with a set of stock springs installed, other shocks won't.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

OK I have a set of fairly new V8 springs on my current car. So you are recommending using Koni SA's with my stockers for the best street/strip tradeoff?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stock springs are softer and taller which helps weight transfer. The Koni's can be adjusted for the street performance you like best, but then turned down for maximum weight transfer at the drag strip. I think it's the ideal compromise solution for you.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Stock springs are softer and taller which helps weight transfer. The Koni's can be adjusted for the street performance you like best, but then turned down for maximum weight transfer at the drag strip. I think it's the ideal compromise solution for you.
Thanks, you're awesome. You've been a great help.

Quick Reply: Which shocks for BMR springs?