Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Rotors just arrived (question about installation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question New Rotors just arrived (question about installation)

OK, I ordered a set of Rotoworks Drilled/Slotted Rotors from the WS6Store and they just arrived

My question is the direction of slot rotation

Just like my old PowerSlots, these rotors are mounted with the slots spinning forward as directed by the Manufacturer like this:

Thing is, high dollar rotors from Baer, Brembo and Willwood are mounted with their slots facing backwards like this:

Now, I know the high dollar rotors are designed with angled internal vanes, which make rotational direction critical (as seen in this pic)

This really isn't an issue with the Rotoworks rotors as they are drilled/slotted from Dora blanks, which have straight internal vanes....

Anyhoo, on to my question....

What are the advantages/disadvantages of slot direction?

I mean, there must be a reason why the top companies manufacture their rotors with the slots spinning backwards

I figure if I mount them as instructed, the slots will force the pads and brake dust outwards....

If I mount them backwards like Baer/Willwood, the slots will force the pads and brake dust towards the center of the rotor....

Has anyone tried mounting their slotted rotors in reverse?

Rick <-----questions EVERYTHING!!

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums
Old 11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually you will have an R or L on the hub on the front or back of the rotor. If there is no information on the rotor, look at the box. A lot of times the part# of the rotor will have a R or L or P or D at the end of it. This will give away what is what.

And lastly, why don't you just call WS6 store where you bought it from? They sell the rotors. They should know the answer.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trent
Usually you will have an R or L on the hub on the front or back of the rotor. If there is no information on the rotor, look at the box. A lot of times the part# of the rotor will have a R or L or P or D at the end of it. This will give away what is what.

And lastly, why don't you just call WS6 store where you bought it from? They sell the rotors. They should know the answer.

I already know which rotors are which and the way the Rotoworks wants them installed

My question is why

There has to be a reason why the slots on budget rotors face the opposite direction of the slots on high dollar units
Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the person who installed the high dollar rotors put them on backwards hahah

I dont know man...how do the rotoworks look though(i figured you havent put them on yet)...i need some new rotors..I am just SKEPTICAL AS HELL as to why these are so cheap...i dont want to get burned...

Erik
Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is more of an issue with budget rotors only having to stock one part number, one program to run, so one set up.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason some face forward and some face backwards is because ....

... it just doesn't matter.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
maybe the person who installed the high dollar rotors put them on backwards hahah

I dont know man...how do the rotoworks look though(i figured you havent put them on yet)...i need some new rotors..I am just SKEPTICAL AS HELL as to why these are so cheap...i dont want to get burned...

Erik

They look great

I really want to install them backwards like the high dollar ones, but I'm gunna do some more research before I do.....

Mitch, so you're saying it doesn't matter with these rotors since the internal vanes are straight, right
Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

I would have to agree with Mitch here....
Since the vanes are straight...it cannot possibly matter....I am trying to think...the drilled holes will not see benefits with either direction...and I cannot see gases escaping the slots any differently one way or the other....
I think it would really come down to vanes, those will see beneits one way or another...so, since they are non directional, I would say preference..

put em on and run em and get back to us as far as quality goes...

Erik
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

another happy customer that ordered rotorworks rotors from Mike at the WS6store
Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

yeah you like em huh

wow....i may have to go ahead a spring for them....my rotors are POOPOO
Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it matters, but Baer says that the rotors should be mounted as shown in that Corvette picture.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From Baer's FAQ page:

How do I know which way to install my new rotors?

Internally, all Baer rotors are directionally ventilated and they must rotate in the correct direction to obtain proper airflow for cooling of the rotor. An arrow is machined into the mounting surface of one-piece rotors, and laser etched into the hat section on two-piece units. Failure to install the rotor in the proper direction will cause an overheat condition and premature failure. This error is easily determined when rotors are returned to Baer for visual warranty inspection.

Still doesn't answer my question about the slot direction, but I'm gunna email them and see what they have to say....
Old 11-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Teching In

nice looking rotors.I bet they work well
Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

"Internally, all Baer rotors are directionally ventilated and they must rotate in the correct direction to obtain proper airflow for cooling of the rotor."

The key word is INTERNALLY
I believe they are referring to the vanes...it has to be...it cant be the drilled holes that's for dam sure...and I do NOT see it affecting the slots...HOW??

The vanes, DEFINATELY!
Maybe Sam Strano can chime in on this one...
Erik
Old 11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From Brembo's FAQ page:

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight
Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first.

Again, they explain the reasoning behind the internally directional vanes, but not the slots
Old 11-15-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
From Brembo's FAQ page:

Again, they explain the reasoning behind the internally directional vanes, but not the slots

I would say that Brembo page just about summed up what I said above...
I am going to say it is just how it was manufactured....they happen to have the slots going that way....thats all...its more about the vanes for sure!

Have you ever seen any other high end sports cars with high end rotors?? I would be interested to see how they designed theirs.....
I say install however you want man...
go for it..

Erik
Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
I would say that Brembo page just about summed up what I said above...
I am going to say it is just how it was manufactured....they happen to have the slots going that way....thats all...its more about the vanes for sure!

Have you ever seen any other high end sports cars with high end rotors?? I would be interested to see how they designed theirs.....
I say install however you want man...
go for it..

Erik

Yeah, I've pretty much decided to install them backwards like the high end companies suggest....

Just waiting to hear from Mike at the WS6 Store to see what he has to say about it first....

Rick
Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some info from StopTech's website that Makoto found for me last night

How do I tell what direction the rotors go on the car?

The StopTech AeroRotors® are directional. If they are not installed on the proper side of the vehicle, airflow will be restricted and cooling will be severely diminished. The vanes on a rotor act like a centrifugal air fan, drawing air from the inside of the rotor and flowing it to the outside. The vanes of a directional rotor should arch back like arms on a pinwheel. On the top side of the rotor, the vanes should curve toward the back of the car.

The slots on StopTech AeroRotors are cut in the OPPOSITE direction of the vanes. The pattern on a drilled AeroRotor also has the same appearance. The direction of the slots or hole pattern should not be used to determine what side of the vehicle to place a rotor. Different manufacturers may have different strategies for slot and hole patterns.

The only correct way to determine what side a directional rotor goes on is the internal vane direction.

Still, the question remains....

What is Rotoworks strategy for their slot direction?

Rick
Old 11-16-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Email I got from Josh at the WS6Store

Rick,

We get this question a lot and we often tell people it really doesnt matter. You can either put them on like the boxes indicate, or you can swap them around. It wont affect performance either way, its more of a preferred look. I personally like the way they look when installed according to the box.

Thanks,

Josh Padget
Sales/Tech Support
JoshP@WS6store.com
877-232-9701 Ext 628
Fax 775-766-3206

Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

If they aren't facing the same direction on either side, one side of the car will stop quicker than the other.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The reason some face forward and some face backwards is because ....

... it just doesn't matter.
Believe then, believe now.

Quick Reply: New Rotors just arrived (question about installation)