Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who makes tunnel-mounted torque arms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who makes tunnel-mounted torque arms?

I don't really want a UMI. I've seen 2 locals break their UMI torque arms within the past 2 months. One at the track with me last Friday. So what other companies make them, and are they any better? I still have my stock one and know very little about them. YES, I made the same mistake everyone else makes, building the motor and not addressing the chassis/suspension, and I am paying for it.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[search] <------- click there
Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, but that brand is outdated. LOL!
Seriously, I want to know what brand is CURRENTLY good and of decent quality. Up until recently, I know where I'd have gone. I chalked the first one up as a freak accident. But 2 within a month in the same county is just too risky for me as of right now.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Jeg's makes one
Old 11-15-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would look at the one mad man makes if you're really worried about breaking it
Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
I don't really want a UMI. I've seen 2 locals break their UMI torque arms within the past 2 months. One at the track with me last Friday. So what other companies make them, and are they any better? I still have my stock one and know very little about them. YES, I made the same mistake everyone else makes, building the motor and not addressing the chassis/suspension, and I am paying for it.
Hello,

Yes we had two break, two of our older designs that were built some time ago. The problem has been addressed and item has been redesigned and will not fail. Also both torque arms that broke were replaced by us free of charge with a improved design and no hassle. And lastly, the second torque arm that broke was purchased second hand! So the original owner sold it and the second owner broke it and we still replaced it. So we have no idea what kind of torcher the first owner did to that torque arm. If you do a search you will see that every aftermarket company including all our competition has had a few torque arms break, I could search and post the links, but I don't feel thats right of me.. I will let you do that.

Again, the problem has been addressed and corrected some time ago. It wasn't a weld that broke, just a fluke. However we do have that same older designed arm running consistent low 10's cutting low 1.4 60's every weekend. Also as far as I know both arms were being ran on 9" rear ends that do put a lot of stress of that item.

Here is a picture of our newer version, you will notice how far back the center plates comes now to prevent failures.

If I can help anymore please ask and I will be glad too. Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by UMI Performance; 11-15-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

both torque arms that broke were replaced by us free of charge with a improved design and no hassle. And lastly, the second torque arm that broke was purchased second hand! So the original owner sold it and the second owner broke it and we still replaced it. So we have no idea what kind of torcher the first owner did to that torque arm.
Now thats customer service!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

I have a UMI and I'm pretty happy with it. No fear its going to break with my future mods.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

OH yeah, I should've added that. UMI was amazingly helpful in making it right. For sure. I was impressed with that.

Ryan, your response has convinced me to not rule out UMI. Let me compare some prices. It is apparent from the picture that you've changed the design, so that also is impressive. I've always planned on a UMI, so this is great news.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a few threads to other torque arms that have broken, UMI isn't the only one to have a torque arm break. I did a quick search on broken torque arms

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ken+torque+arm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=spohn+broken
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Looks like Moser 12-bolts racking them up

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
Here is a few threads to other torque arms that have broken, UMI isn't the only one to have a torque arm break. I did a quick search on broken torque arms

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=spohn+broken
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

its because of the case design of it and how the bolts are used, instead of a stock style mount for the back it uses four bolts that do not go all the way through the casing and are notorious for backing out, primary reason that i'll be going with either a 9" of a strange 12 bolt housing (after the horror stories of their turn around times and gear set up i wont let em assemble it lol)
Old 11-19-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really like my Global West TracLink. Extremely beefy. I've only run low 1.6s on mine. but I know of a guy running 1.3s. Hasn't broke yet.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love my Spohn TA with dual loops on it.

Quick Reply: Who makes tunnel-mounted torque arms?