Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

danger of worn rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default danger of worn rotors

I was wondering if you guys knew what would happen if you wor a rotor down to a point will it break? i have drilled and sloted up front and ive been driving on one that has been worn down on ONLY one side of the rotor to the point where the slots are allmost gone... i have to drive a good 20 miles to get them fixed tommorw and im wondering if you guys know if i'll be ok driving it it seems to me just that rotor and only on the out side of it what could cause that? just one side of the pads gone? the other side and rears are on there way out so im replacing those also. im going with ebc sloted and drilled what do you guys think of those rotors?

i searched trying to find anything on that subject of worn roters but couldt find one if anyone knows just send the link to this thread and delte this one

thanks

matt
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

huh?

I have never seen a rotor "wear out"......lol

The only way I can see this even happening is if you have driven the car with no brakes pads left for quite awhile causing the pad backing plate to cut the rotor down. If this is the case, I think you should have had a brake job done a long *** time ago...
Old 11-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Launching!

unless you are concerned the actual rotor will break in half while you are driving, I would keep the speed down and try not to do anything to sudden and you should be fine to get it to the repair shop.

As for slotted and drilled rotors, I wouldn't ever put them on my car because they decrease the performance on your car as well as developing cracks and stress marks. Just get some Brembo Blanks if you still can as they are cheaper than slotted/Drilled and will stop your better than slotted ever will paired with a good set of pads.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a caliper problem, most likely the slider pins
are stuck, need disassembled (good luck) and the
right kind of high temp brake grease.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

gotcha is the slider pin something the shop can fix right away....? and ya i guess i wore it to no pads im thinking the back side of the rotor isnt working corectly b ecause of the slider pins or whatever and the brake was using just one side to slow it down and it wore it away realy quick... theres no cracks in the rotor yet these have been on the car for a good 60k miles the drivers side is still ok with some little marks where you can see the pads allmost gone.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen a vehicle wear out the inside pad, grind through the backing plate, grind off most of the inner rotor facing, grind part of the piston off and finally the piston popped out of the bore which released pressure in the system (allowed air in) and the pedal hit the floor on the next stop. It belonged to a friends daughter and I fixed it for him/them. If you wear a rotor far enough, you can pop the piston out of the bore. Since it sounds like your slider pins are stuck, that will limit the travel of the caliper and you should be fine to CAREFULLY drive it to the shop.

I've also seen rotors with a complete side of them gone. It was a smooth side and the vents in the center on the back side. That one was handed to me at an autoparts store I worked at many years ago. It was off of an old vehicle and had been running without proper maintenance for quite a long time.

Be safe.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the info i dont think its to the point where somethings gonna pop out i can still see theres a little pad left...

Quick Reply: danger of worn rotors