Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

advance auto parts rotors vs brembo blanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advance auto parts rotors vs brembo blanks

is it worth paying the extra for brembo blanks as compard to whatever brands i can pick up at advance auto or autozone

ive read all the threads on drilled/slotted and know not to waste money on them so im just trying to decide between brembo blanks (also help me out with the cheapest place to get them) vs whatever the parts store up the street from me has in stock
Old 11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

slotted is worth it, drilled is not
Old 11-30-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Both brembo blanks and autozone duralast rotors are good factory replacement parts (although I have had a set of brembo's that were defective right out of the box). I have no experience with advance auto parts rotors.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Launching!

The advance Rotors are good if you get the good ones. If you go for the cheapy version that they offer, then don't expect much. Go with blanks. Anything slotted or drilled will decrease your overall braking performance.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
The advance Rotors are good if you get the good ones. If you go for the cheapy version that they offer, then don't expect much. Go with blanks. Anything slotted or drilled will decrease your overall braking performance.
please explain how drilled or slotted decrease your performance??? companies like baer and brembo drill and slot their rotors for?????
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ You should read the stickies.

Drilling and slotting rotors takes away valuable mass(which soaks up heat) and surface area. There are no benefits for slots or holes on a street car.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99zman
please explain how drilled or slotted decrease your performance??? companies like baer and brembo drill and slot their rotors for?????
Eye Candy.

FWIW, I got the AutoZone Blanks. I would have gone with the Brembos if I had the cash at the time. I didnt skimp on the pads though.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well for pads im going with hawks
and the 'top of the line' rotors from advance auto are 'bendex' anybody ever use these?
Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Default Cross Drilled / Slotted Rotors

Baer makes the best street rotors available and they are warranted for 2 years I think against warpage. They are drilled & slotted with air vanes for extra cooling and believe you me, they work. Install a set of stainless brake lines then bleed and replace the brake fluid with valvoline synthetic fluid and lastly install the green pads all around, not the red pads cause you won't need them on the street besides they make way too much noise. I bought mine at Auto Zone.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OH

MY

GOD!!

Please don't tell me we're going to have yet another "drilled rotors are better because some company that is known for good brakes charges more money for them" thread. Before this thread deginerates into one of those, take the following steps:

1) Read the stickies
2) Read this http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=87
3) Call Brembo North America (800-325-3994) or Baer (602-233-1411) and ask them about using drilled rotors for track use.

OK - now to answer the real question here. I've used off-the-shelf rotors from both Autozone and O'Reilly's. No real problems with either. There are quite a few guys that road race on both. If you are going to be racing with them and are in danger of damaging them, get the ones with a lifetime warranty. Buy 2 rears and 4 fronts. Then, when the fronts warp/crack/etc., slap the others on and take them back to exchange for new ones.

(edit - added Baer's phone number)
Old 12-02-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wont be doin any auto x-ing or stuff like that just looking to replace stock
im guessing my stocks ones are warped from a few 140 + mph runs so if they perform better then stock thats great
im guessing ill just go with the off the shelf rotors and order some hawks, thanks everybody
Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Yeah Right ! That must be because the new C6 corvettes come from the factory with cross drilled rotors & of course you know more than General Motors ! Right ?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1wfo
Yeah Right ! That must be because the new C6 corvettes come from the factory with cross drilled rotors & of course you know more than General Motors ! Right ?
why are you in my thread argueing about this when all i asked was advance auto blanks vs brembo blanks
you are wasting everybodys time including mine

now, i'll be going with the bendex brand from advance auto and hawk pads
mods please lock this
Old 12-02-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if its on the internet it must be true
Old 12-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I dont want to side-track this thread too much, but I had to answer...

Originally Posted by 99zman
Removing material from the mating surface of the rotor means there is less surface area contact between the rotor and the pads which means less friction between the rotor and pad which is bad. This also lessens the rotors ability to absorb and release heat. Also, drilled rotors are prone to cracking.

Originally Posted by ls1wfo
Manufactures make them because people buy them. Manufactures even admit that they are of no benefit with todays brake pad compounds.

Here is one of many threads on the subject:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=admit
Sub link from that thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/565786-best-sponsor-prices-set-cross-drilled-slotted-rotors.html
(also contains links to manufacturer sites)
(scroll down to my post)

Back to the actual topic at hand...
I have Brembo OEM Blanks and Hawk HPS pads currently on my car. Many on here have used the AutoZone Duralast blank rotors with more aggresive pads autocrossing.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-03-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've not tried the inexpensive blanks from autozone so I can't comment on them but after warping and cracking several other rotors (OEM rotors and various slotted and/or drilled rotors) I went to brembo blanks and have had no problems 250+ miles a week daily driving for 10 months now. I run Brembo blanks on all 4 corners, Performance friction carbon metallic pads front and creamic duralast pads rear. Works great for daily driving and 1/4 mile use. I've had to panic stop several times and stoped hard from high speeds with no problems.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

pm sent reject... all i have to say is Hawk HPS Pads + OEM replacement rotors w/1500 miles on them (bought from a buddies WS6) = amazing brakes for less than 200 bucks total at that!

Last edited by LS1Aggie09; 12-03-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Put the autozone cheapies on 2 weeks ago with hawk street pads and they seem to do fine. Installed the track pads and drove my car 5 hrs at Road Atlanta this weekend and used the brakes alot. Rotors seems to have held up very very well under extreme abuse. Track pads are supposed to be rough on rotors but these held up fine so far. I will let you know how they feel when I put my street pads back on tonite. For $40 a piece I thought I would try them.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

The "cheapies" you speak of carry a 2 year warranty. I work @ autozone, and I know how this works. You can get unlimited replacements within the 2 year period, in theory. The cheapest rotors autozone sells are the valucraft, which is chinese steel. **** steel. I wouldnt sell those to anyone but the poor guy who just broke a rotor and cant afford the duralast to be able to eat this week. The Duralast are either american or canadian steel, and have higher manufacturing standards, ISO9001 and ISO9002. I have Duralast rotors and Performance friction pads, and they stop wonderfully. I have never been in a HPS car, but I imagine that my brakes are nearly as good, and they do not fade. I would suggest the Duralast rotors over the Bendix, because I put some bendix's on my moms car (read as she doesnt brake hard, drive hard) and they cracked in 1 year.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks

Quick Reply: advance auto parts rotors vs brembo blanks