Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

DRAG/Good handling car? I need both, imput needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01350ss
my set-up has dead stock ss front suspension with no swaybar. the rear is all spohn full adjustable. floor mounted t/a, adjustable lca, adjustable panbar, 9" spool with 4.57 gears. I will throw my car through the turns all day then race it at night cutting 1.5 short times.
everything is doable if done right

This is where we get into the part about everyones idea of handling being different. I'm sure you do in fact throw it through the turns. And, you might be content with the handling, but it could surely be better (they aren't selling tons of 35mm front bars for no reason ). Or, to put it another way, I'm sure my car wouldn't ever catch you on a drag strip, but I doubt your car would get around a road course or autocross course nearly as quickly as my setup can.

I personally don't consider a "no front sway bar" car to be very safe, much less a "handling setup" of any kind. I didn't say it would "instantly explode if you tried to drive it", just that in transitions it could be a real handfull. However, if that type of setup gets the job done for you, then it's the right setup for your driving style (generically "you", not you specifically).

The original post seemed to indicate that he had a drag setup already and considered it a bit scary and unpredictable. Seeing what's on the car, I agree that I'd expect it to be an unpredictable car that's a handful to drive. My goal is to figure out exactly how much "handling" (a rather generic term) he wants and help him get it.

The best thing to do is ask lots of questions and then try to decide what advice fits your goals. It would be better if you were close to me or Mitchntx, or several others who have cars that are pretty well setup. Maybe you could get a ride and see if it seems to suit you. Otherwise, you're going to have to ask and research, then pray you picked the right one. This is why many of us say we've spent tons of money learning things the hard way. We kept trying until we got it to where we considered it to be right. If we can save others some of that same money, it's worth the time to answer questions when we can. However, what's right for me, may not be the right answer for you, then again, it just might be.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first saw the title of this post all I could think of was Sam Strano having an epileptic seizure at the idea!!! He would most definitely say "drag racing and handling DO NOT go in the same sentence for gods sake!!!" Where is our good corner carving buddy anyway?

Actually I would have to agree that both ideas are counter-productive of each other. In fact I will soon be trying a set of Strano's bars and later some Koni SA's just to see how good these cars can really handle. That is after I get the best et's out of the car at the strip with the turbo on.

I like BlackhawkT/A's idea the best I think and thats pretty much where I am headed later on with my setup. I will probably keep the stock springs for a while though. I think that all the rear suspension work is very important and is often overlooked. Most of the rear susp stuff helps BOTH handling and launching.

And I am refering to LCA's, PHB, SFCs, & torque arm, etc. Start with those, put the front sway bar back on if it still feels too "scary", crank up the crappy Qa1's, and try that out. You may have to unhook the front bar at the track to get anywhere near 1.6's.

Finally, I highly recommend setting the front camber about 1/2 degree negative. The steering response in increased dramatically, the car tracks straighter, and doesn't want to follow every crack in the road, and turn in feel is WAY better the stock. Though I'm sure "turn in feel" is relative when you still have no front sway bar like me. My car actually turns in TOO quick because of the big rear bar. But lets please not waste a bunch of time getting into the whole front bar discussion again....
Old 12-01-2006, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

I have decided I am going to make my car handle as well as possible and then just buy big/littles for it to hook up when drag racing while not changing anything else. If it only pulls high 1.6s, it only pulls high 1.6s. Good enough for me considering I am running bilstien shocks and BMR swaybars.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys I seemed to confused you, sorry for that my car will see alot of drag time

BUT

I also like to play in the turns, so im willing to give up some drag stuff for some twisty stuff, pretty much im looking for decent handling, and be decent at the track....

Ill take a little better handling over what I have now pretty much....If I can cut low low 1.7s thats fine with me...

Does this help?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KCFormula
I have decided I am going to make my car handle as well as possible and then just buy big/littles for it to hook up when drag racing while not changing anything else. If it only pulls high 1.6s, it only pulls high 1.6s. Good enough for me considering I am running bilstien shocks and BMR swaybars.

You seem to think like me
Old 12-02-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

from what i understand the "soft setup" Sam (stranoparts) uses still gets down the 1320 reasonably well, I would look at what he reccomends for his basic street car and if that still doesn't meet your drag goals then modify it a bit. Most people are very happy though. First things first, put a swaybar back on the front.

I'm saying this not knowing how serious of a drag racer you are, also while not knowing how much prep you would be willing to do to get the best 60 ft times. you can do an hours worth of work before going to the strip and make drastic changes.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

i cut 1.7 60fts on 235/60/16 Goodyear LS tires, on stock suspension. i have a hard time believing you can **** your 60ft up that much by stiffening the car up a bit considering the mods already done to the car. 2900lbs???? my car is 3680 and still manages on street tires, its no handler, but its not drag suspension at all...
Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Well guys I seemed to confused you, sorry for that my car will see alot of drag time

BUT

I also like to play in the turns, so im willing to give up some drag stuff for some twisty stuff, pretty much im looking for decent handling, and be decent at the track....

Ill take a little better handling over what I have now pretty much....If I can cut low low 1.7s thats fine with me...

Does this help?
Are you actually going to road race the car or do you just want a car that handles well on the street? What about comfort? Do you plan on swapping tire setups at the track? Going too far in either direction will sacrifice alot on the street.

Either way I would ditch the QA1 front drag springs. The spring rate is not designed for the street and they tend to be real bouncy.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Either way I would ditch the QA1 front drag springs. The spring rate is not designed for the street and they tend to be real bouncy.
I agree. The Qa1's by themselves w/stock springs leave much to be desired but can still work reasonably well for street and strip. The Qa1 springs however are way to soft and with no front sway bar it must be like driving a sailboat into a turn...
Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by v7guy
from what i understand the "soft setup" Sam (stranoparts) uses still gets down the 1320 reasonably well, I would look at what he reccomends for his basic street car and if that still doesn't meet your drag goals then modify it a bit. Most people are very happy though. First things first, put a swaybar back on the front.

I'm saying this not knowing how serious of a drag racer you are, also while not knowing how much prep you would be willing to do to get the best 60 ft times. you can do an hours worth of work before going to the strip and make drastic changes.

Comfort well......look at the sig 2,900 pounds with me in it and a full tank of gas! So throw comfort out the window, its a weekend/play car at this point.

Im putting back on the front sway bar, and putting back on Power Steering

I did a Rollon with a 04 full bolton tuned pully cobra on a DR.........I was pulling 2 cars on him and the car didnt feel safe at all once it got to 100mph, It was a uneasy feeling on the highway, and cruising at 60mph it also feels un easy, I just didnt like it.

So im looking for somthing thats double duty

How about this, im looking for a better street setup, not a road race or drag more street freindly..
Old 12-02-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by spy2520
i cut 1.7 60fts on 235/60/16 Goodyear LS tires, on stock suspension. i have a hard time believing you can **** your 60ft up that much by stiffening the car up a bit considering the mods already done to the car. 2900lbs???? my car is 3680 and still manages on street tires, its no handler, but its not drag suspension at all...

Thats what ive been thinking also, im looking for somthing you have!

No handler, but yet no drag car, somthing with a wee bit of both

The qals up front are not ment for street in my opinion

Originally Posted by SSblack98
I agree. The Qa1's by themselves w/stock springs leave much to be desired but can still work reasonably well for street and strip. The Qa1 springs however are way to soft and with no front sway bar it must be like driving a sailboat into a turn...

Yes it does feel like a boat" in a turn with the springs....Do you think I should swap them out?

Feels like a big boat caddy lol

Last edited by slick1851; 12-02-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

another thing to note is i only dyno'd 270, so considering your car should dyno around 330 atleast, you should be able to run a pretty stiff car and still run 1.7 60fts...
Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell I pull 1.7's on Mt drag radials with just the mods in my sig and that is only taking out the rear set belts, jack, spare, and my sub and amp for track duty. not crazy light weight stuff. with sticky tires a mild handling setup will do 1.7's no problem.

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A

UMI Adj. Lower Control Arms (poly/rod)
UMI LCA Relocation Brackets
UMI Adj. Panhard Bar (poly/rod) - may change to double adj (rod/rod), not sure yet
UMI Adj. Torque Arm
UMI Torque Arm Relocation
Koni SA Shocks (very important)
Strano Springs - 15lb weight savings, linear rate
Strano Hollow Sway Bars (35/22)
I like this setup.. this is almost exactly what I'm going to run on my car for dual duty. Except I'm keeping the stock springs.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trackbird (and others) summed it up rather well.

I have folks calling me as well asking to setup a drag/RR setup all in one...you really can't and expect great performance in many areas that are important to the driver.

This is my summation and consideration. I use the analogy of this, take an all season tire, it is meant to perform under both situation BUT it's not really a very good performing summer tire NOR is it a very good performing winter tire when compared to a specific winter or summer tire.

...this is the same with road racing or drag racing setups. If you set your car up to do both, neither setups will be very good in comparison to a specific drag or RR setup. What you'll have is an ok performing car in all areas...not great for drag racing and not great for road racing...sort of how it was setup as OEM.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

You will probably be a lot happier by just doing the following:

1. Put front swaybar back on
2. Change shocks to Koni SA's
3. Put stock springs back on

No other changes and I think you will get what you want.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted the same thing but realized it wasnt possible. You need that weight transfer in the 1/4 mile and dont want that movement on a road coarse. I went with koni's, kept the SLP pro-rate springs that were stock and UMI dual adjustable LCA' and PHB and TA. I run a nitto 18x315x30 rear tire. My 60's were terrible but it was due to me and tire choice. I run the nt-01 wich is an autox tire. It didn't hook all that good but then again a 30 series tire isnt going to either. It sticks on the corners which is why I got them. I got a free pair of salad shooter rims and bought some MT's for the track. That should take care of my 60's. Will they be in the 1.3-1.4 range NO. But I should be able to cut 1.6 instead of a 2.1 avg. Needless to say my car handles like there is no tomorrow. Good luck and have fun
Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 AM
9 Second Club

well i have been looking into shocksand springs for my car as well but you should be able to cut mid 1.6's all day long on stock suspension atleast thats what i do in a 3550 pound car on dr's! good luck with your search!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been trying for the same thing sort of. I won't EVER run a road course, but I want it to be a good street car but also good on the strip.

After talking to many people, I found that it is easier to make a good street car decent on the strip than it is to make a good strip car decent on the street.

What I ended up doing is getting Koni SAs with stock springs. I like them, but I drive them on full loose all the time and could stand that they be even a little looser. But I take what I can get. Most people say that QA1 drag shocks are not good for an everyday vehicle.

I figure if I want weight transfer, I'll remove the front sway bar. If I want tighter handling, I'll stiffen the shocks. I like it, but it's not that great for anything. Just ok for everything...and it rides great.

Of course, I still would like to get aftermarket LCAs and a TA to help with wheel hop and stability.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

dead stock springs and shocks is best for what you want I think. Our cars are designed to handle pretty well from the factory and also hook okay. All you need for the strip is a sticky tire. On my setup with a dead stock suspension and even all season tires, I pulled a 1.85 60'. Control arms and a panhard rod would only help both handling and dragging.

Quick Reply: DRAG/Good handling car? I need both, imput needed