Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Springs

what direction is the end of the coil on the bottom supposed to be facing? Its an eibach prokit if it matters.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No specific direction as long as the top of the spring fits in the groove of the rubber mount.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You typically want the "hook" over the front of the spring perch (towards the front of the car). That helps them stay put and not move around.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
You typically want the "hook" over the front of the spring perch (towards the front of the car). That helps them stay put and not move around.

ok thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The OEM location on the lower axle perch is for the spring tip to be at roughly the 7 o'clock position - for both sides. This means the tip is towards the rear of the car and slightly left of center. I have taken several photos of many untouched WS6 cars (what I have) to verify this.

I'm switching back to 1LE rear springs along with other OEM components and want everything to be back exaclty the way it was.

Here is a view with your head at the differential cover and looking over to the passenger side rear wheel.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I'm changing my springs out for a set from Strano Performance. Is there a tell tell difference in the front and rear springs? These springs are not marked as which go front and rear. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
The OEM location on the lower axle perch is for the spring tip to be at roughly the 7 o'clock position - for both sides. This means the tip is towards the rear of the car and slightly left of center. I have taken several photos of many untouched WS6 cars (what I have) to verify this.
And you got this information from where?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
And you got this information from where?
I've been under roughly 9 stock WS6 cars ranging from 1998-2002. Taken pictures on 3 of them. The rear springs tips are in exactly the same position on every car that still has the OEM springs, verified by the tags.

Like I said, I'm taking my car back close to stock. I've had issues with those three loop brackets for the ebrake cables, routing of the TCS wire, and other things. There are 3 unique sized brackets, 2 that bolt to the diff cover and one on the passeger side LCA bolt. Mixing them up causes some to rub on the chassis. I had to figure this out on my own that my local shop put the brackets back in the wrong locations. I noticed it right away when looking at the many close up photos I have of other cars. I also noticed the spring locations on every car. I'm putting the 1LE rear springs back in and just shaving down 1/2" off the top of the insulator.

See for yourself:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/333009-ws6-true-duals-pics-after-axle-mufflers-ceramic-xpipe-re-posted.html
Old 12-19-2006, 12:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1970
I'm changing my springs out for a set from Strano Performance. Is there a tell tell difference in the front and rear springs? These springs are not marked as which go front and rear. Thanks for the info.
You really can't get them mixed up. The fronts are the big heavier coils, the rears are the lighter ones.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
According to the Helm's manual the only stipulation on rear spring installation orientation is that the end of the UPPER coil sit 6.3mm + 0.3mm from the stop in the rubber isolator. There is no mention of positioning or indexing on the lower end...