Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum

What do you think of aluminum LCAs and panhard bar and Torque arm?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im running LG's aluminum LCA's right now, no complaints. As for the PHR it was already one on my car when I bought it, im gona replace it, but chances are it wont be aluminum. I dont know of anyone that makes an aluminum TQ arm.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

I've been running Slotcar Racing aluminum lca and panhard for years.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
What do you think of aluminum LCAs and panhard bar and Torque arm?
If they are properly designed, why not.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about a torque arm, but LCA and PHB shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

the ones i found are great and adj. able. they say they are storng but idk. and there torgue arm only wieghts 10 lbs. and they say it is as strong as cromoly. it is close to the same thing as spohns. but aluminum
Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

The weight of the torque arm sounds suspect; if it is that low, it will probably break pretty fast.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Has anyone ever really ran an adjustable torque arm for any length of time and had it adjusted significantly off of what the stock torque arm angle is? Severe TA angles will kill U-Joints and seals in the trans/diff.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned

why does the weight make it weeker. it is aluminum. it is ment to be light. a buddy of mine is a mechanic in the air force and all they use is aluminum parts on the plans. and i know my car doesn't have the force a plan does. lol but this is supost to be good ****. i ordered it yesterday. when i get it in. i will post pics.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Has anyone ever really ran an adjustable torque arm for any length of time and had it adjusted significantly off of what the stock torque arm angle is? Severe TA angles will kill U-Joints and seals in the trans/diff.
I've been running a Global West traclink at negative four degrees since 1998 and about 25,000 miles. But, more significantly, probably 200 1/4mile passes. No issues yet. I was running low 1.6 60' times this year on the same stock u-joints/2.5 inch driveshaft.

No driveline vibration either.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good info ....
Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

why does the weight make it weeker. it is aluminum. it is ment to be light. a buddy of mine is a mechanic in the air force and all they use is aluminum parts on the plans. and i know my car doesn't have the force a plan does. lol but this is supost to be good ****. i ordered it yesterday. when i get it in. i will post pics.
Well, being an engineer in the Air Force, I can tell you that if a plane isn't light, it won't make it off the ground. Aircraft engineers usually compromise strength to save weight (although the parts are obviously still strong enough to survive the rigors of flight). That's why composites are becoming so important these days.

And trying to compare the forces on a plane to the forces on a car is like trying to compare peanut butter and concrete. Two completely different worlds.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

If set up properly, the LCAs and PHR should never see bending loads. I've been running an LG aluminum PHR for several years, and the Jon A homebrew hybrid aluminum LCAs for about a year.

The torque arm definitely sees beding loads, and they are cyclic (ie fatigue-inducing). The stresses at the rear of the torque arm will be quite high.

Even steel torque arms break at the diff every now and then, where the stresses are huge. I'd be very hesitant to try an aluminum arm that wasn't absurdly beefy.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well, being an engineer in the Air Force, I can tell you
After seeing an airplane before I can conclusively say that the way a part is designed has about as much to do with a part's structural integrity as the material it's made from.

I've also stayed at a Holiday inn Express before, so ...

Beyond all that, I agree with Sean ...
Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the G2 aluminum PHB and its doing great so far, I plan on getting their LCAs too which are also aluminum and are both adjustable. I have high expectations in G2s parts, I like knowing it wont rust on me and it's light weight.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well, being an engineer in the Air Force, I can tell you that if a plane isn't light, it won't make it off the ground. Aircraft engineers usually compromise strength to save weight (although the parts are obviously still strong enough to survive the rigors of flight). That's why composites are becoming so important these days.

And trying to compare the forces on a plane to the forces on a car is like trying to compare peanut butter and concrete. Two completely different worlds.

i know a plane has to be light. the point i am getting at is that if aluminum can take it on a jet plane. i know it will take what my car can throw at it. and they are different worlds. but both see force, drag, lift, and gravity. but my car doesn't have wings. so lift really doesn't matter. an as an "engineer in the Air Force" you should know that this will work. if some one takes the time and understands were the weak points are and makes it strong there. then alumium is the best way to go. i would rather spend money on 110lbs of all aluminum parts( lca, torque arm, front control arms and k-member) of the same strength. then spend money on 250lbs of parts. ok if you have part A and part B that one is aluminum and one is chromoly. both same strenght. both same price. but part A wieghts 10.5 lbs and part B weights 33 lbs. some one would be stupid not to buy Part A
Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

i know a plane has to be light. the point i am getting at is that if aluminum can take it on a jet plane. i know it will take what my car can throw at it. and they are different worlds. but both see force, drag, lift, and gravity. but my car doesn't have wings. so lift really doesn't matter. an as an "engineer in the Air Force" you should know that this will work. if some one takes the time and understands were the weak points are and makes it strong there. then alumium is the best way to go. i would rather spend money on 110lbs of all aluminum parts( lca, torque arm, front control arms and k-member) of the same strength. then spend money on 250lbs of parts. ok if you have part A and part B that one is aluminum and one is chromoly. both same strenght. both same price. but part A wieghts 10.5 lbs and part B weights 33 lbs. some one would be stupid not to buy Part A
You are reasoning by analogy.

If material A is used on an airplane, then material A must be good enough for a car.

That's not how it works. As was already eluded to, it is all about how the part is designed. You could have a part that was made from aluminum, but only engaged two threads on a rod end that screwed in to it. That would be a horrible design, and that part would fail in short order on a street car. The steel part would fail just as quickly. If you had taken any classes that dealt with loading and modes of failure, you'd understand that you can not draw parallels between those two completely different worlds (aircraft vs. auto). It'd be like saying "Well, the plastic used in my vacuum cleaner is pretty strong. I dropped it off of a three story building and it didn't crack. It must be strong enough to use plastic in my car."

I'm not saying that it won't work...I'm saying that your reasoning is just simply wrong. Just because you have a buddy that works on them there fancy jet planes doesn't make him an expert on part design. That's why we have multi-billion dollar contracts with companies that employ some very, very smart people. Having worked hand in hand with Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and Raytheon, I know this is true. I've also met the people that write the Dash-1 manuals for those aircraft that tell your buddy how to do his job.

As for my personal opinion on the car parts, I'd see no problem using aluminum LCAs or an aluminum panhard rod. Provided the rod ends were sized correctly. As for an aluminum torque arm...I wouldn't on my personal ride.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

up top
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

the point i am getting at is that if aluminum can take it on a jet plane. i know it will take what my car can throw at it.
Aluminum can "take it" in certain applications because it is used where its properties are suited to the demands of the parts made from it. That does not mean it is suited for all parts just because they can be made from tubing. Hell, someone could weld up a crankshaft from aluminum tubing. Would you expect that to hold up?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

up top