Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension/Brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension/Brake upgrades

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice about upgrading my suspension and brakes. Right now the car is mostly stock, but my ultimate goal is between 550-600 rwhp/rwtq. The car will definitely see some drag time, but I still want to drive around and be able to take a curve without worrying about driving straight off the road...Basically I want a street friendly, mild drag setup...I know any drag setup is going to reduce cornering but I'm not going to be doing any autox. With that in mind, what sort of shocks (I'm thinking KYB), TQ arms, LCA's, etc would be good?

Now then, my brakes seem to fade pretty easily so I'm planning on switching the pads and rotors, probably some PBR pads and solid rotors....opinions?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Like you mentioned, setting a car up for drag racing and corner carving are two totally different approaches. You are going to compromise one to get the other.

But depending on how serious you are, you can make some basic generalizations. For instance Koni shocks all around are the best mod you can do for handling, but they dont work much wonder on the drag strip, if you are serious about drag racing. But for the casual drag racer this is a must-have upgrade for corner carving. Same with Strano sway bars: not that great for drag but great for handling.

KYB shocks are junk, don't even bother. A cheaper alternative to Konis are revalved Bilsteins, obtained through Stranoparts.com.

Relocation brackets and a solid PHR would be good for drag racing and not effect handling. Keep your stock springs.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks lsx, that's basically what I was looking for!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

No problem, that's what we're here for. To elaborate further, I would get Konis if you can afford them (or revalved bilsteins would be perfect for your situation) and Strano Bars, relocation Brackets, rod/rod PHR, and call it a day.

Those simple mods will tighten your suspension up substantially, and still be just fine for occational drag racing. You don't really need LCAs for casual handling, and a Torque Arm is most definately an advanced bolton.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Ok cool, what about a BMR panhard rod and relocation bracket? I've heard good things about them...
Old 01-28-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might explain more:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/643950-suspension-mods-real-world.html
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formulaguy
Ok cool, what about a BMR panhard rod and relocation bracket? I've heard good things about them...
As far as PHR, I would make your own (from Jon A.'s website) or get a UMI one.

Relocation bracket...are you referring to the PH relocation bar? Or relocation brackets for LCAs? If the former, you don't need that unless you need more clearance for the upper PH bar, usually for 3" true Duals over the axle. For the latter, it's one of the components I recommended above a good addition that will help traction during drag racing launches.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lsx24
As far as PHR, I would make your own (from Jon A.'s website)
http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Mods/PHB/AluminumPHB.html
Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not a fan of aluminum PHB's since I've seen them bend in action. And FWIW, even the chome-moly and mild steel version flex some. But since I want a PHB to locate the axle as best we can, I want a stronger metal than aluminum. And $169 for a CM, powdercoated bar with the premium rod-ends and correct size bushings isn't exactly highway robber and certainly a lot easier than sourcing all those different things from all those different places, and you'd have individual shipping charges too.

Honestly, when you consider the strength (and they'll be a argument about this I'm sure), the time, costs involved I think it just makes sense to buy a good known product. But that's just me, I don't have time to dork around gathering all those different parts, or the inclination to use a weaker metal in a highly loaded place.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Teching In

I totally agree with Strano, It's just a lot more convenient to buy a reputable assembled piece. Here's the wishlist now:
Koni Shocks- Should I get adjustable for the occassional drag strip runs? If not, I'll probably just get some revalved Bilsteins...
Strano Front/Rear swaybars 35mm/22mm
UMI chromoly PHR w/rod ends- Once again, should I get the adjustable version?
UMI LCA relocation brackets- Weld in or bolt-on? I may change my rear end to a 9 inch eventually so I'm leaning toward the bolt-ons...

Last edited by Formulaguy; 01-31-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspension/Brake upgrades