Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Reducing steering effort, shim the pumps pressure spring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing steering effort, shim the pumps pressure spring?

I dont know why GM insists on camaros being a bitch to steer, but, is there a way to make the steering wheel turn with a little less effort? It feels good as is and is responsive, but, I think it just takes too much effort and takes some of the fun out of driving. Is there a way to throw some shims on the pumps pressure spring, maybe another rack or something to make the steering easier?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Minimize your castor in your alignment. That will help.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone want to change this before, but castor can have an impact on it.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

If anything, they're over boosted. How far back are you sitting? If you too far from the steering wheel, the effort will feel high.

Also, check your caster as mentioned above.

Do you have an underdrive pulley?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

lemme see if i can find the writeup

AH! Here it is!

1. Go to Gym
2. Workout arms

All done!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am 5' 8 and what I do is stick my foot out, while it is on the clutch pedal, and move the seat foward all the way till the clutch pedal just bottoms out, so, i am kinda up on the wheel itself.

Hmmm, thats interesting that they are over boosted??? It is great when the car is traking stright, but, I have that drivers side rut steering into situation. Its a bitch, well, fatiging, to keep it corrected just a slight bit. Now, I knw you are all going to say "get it aligned", but, as far back as I can remember, ALL my camaros were like that. There has to be something, I would think cause other cars can do it, that would give the system an easier effort, be it another rack, a high output (not presure persay) steering pump or something??????

Oh, and it is the wrist that need to be worked out, I do enough of that as is.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Most of these cars trammel (track) over bumps and grooves in the pavement. It's just the nature of the beast and wider tires only make it worse.

I always felt that they were about right, but I run more castor than many others do. That increases the steering effort and puts things where they should be, in my opinion. I didn't add the castor for the steering effort, I added it for handling, the steering effort just works for me at this point.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that the steering feel on an f-body is perfect. I didn't realize how nice it was until one day, I had a hole (another story) in my PS fluid reservoir. Without any throttle, I couldn't turn that wheel for nothing.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See, thats the thing, I agree it feels good in general, but, if your on the highway going into a long turn, the wheel fights back at ya enough to make driving a pain. If you get into a rut, your in battle roy'al mode. As of now, if the car is leaning anything left, and I dont have to be in a rut, I have to keep steering right a little. If it is on perfect level ground, all is fine.

Sure wish there was a way to make it fight back less, or, less effort to correct. I might try taking out less caster on my next alignment. What should I go for -1 / -2 less than stock?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Or a big block el camino with no power steering.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by csmc711
Sure wish there was a way to make it fight back less, or, less effort to correct. I might try taking out less caster on my next alignment. What should I go for -1 / -2 less than stock?
The problem is that castor adds some degree of stability. It's why the steering wheel will recenter when you let go in a turn. It tends to make the car go straight. So, by reducing it, you'll reduce steering effort, but you'll probably have a car that hunts even more than it does now. So, you'll reduce the steering effort, only to do more steering.

I don't think there is a good answer for you. Narrower tires would be one thought that might work to your advantage without too many negatives. Narrow tires follow ruts and grooves less, they also are easier to turn and since they are less wide, they don't do as much to lift the car when you turn the wheels (jacking). That's probably the best approach.

Or, call turn one (the power steering guys) and ask for a pump with more boost. They may be able to build you something, but that's just a guess.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, thats cool, I take guess into consideration also. I just thought of something too. There are many other cars out there that do not wander like ours do, so, it seems (and I losly express that word), it is fixable. Hey, maybe you will have to redesign the knuckles, lol, but who knows... Anyways, I wonder how much our bodies are flexing going into ruts and such? Like I said before, on a level road, I like the steering. Get on an angled embankment or drive in a rut and your wrist gets a workout.

Quick Reply: Reducing steering effort, shim the pumps pressure spring?