Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What k-member should I buy?
UMI
65.35%
Spohn
24.02%
Neither. Aftermarket k-members are a waste of money.
10.63%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

What k-member should I buy? UMI's or Spohn's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm trying to decide whick k-member I want... I like the idea of removable motor mount stands on the Spohn k-member, but I like the idea of the UMI heavy duty k-member...

On the UMI k-member do those reinforcing flanges still allow enough LT header clearance...?

(I have Dynatech Supermaxx's).

Edit: I meant to say UMI.

Last edited by joecar; 04-18-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up K-Member Suggestions!

Hello
I just wanted to throw this out there for you that we offer 2 versions of K Members that we have to offer for the LT1 and LS1! We have a aftermarket replacement that saves 25lbs in the front end! And we are the only manufacture to offer a Road Race K Member that eliminates 22 lbs in the front end! And we also offer Complete front suspension packages. Below is a link to show you what we have to offer.

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=122

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will will be glad to help!
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
I'm trying to decide whick k-member I want... I like the idea of removable motor mount stands on the Spohn k-member, but I like the idea of the BMR heavy duty k-member...

On the BMR k-member do those reinforcing flanges still allow enough LT header clearance...?

(I have Dynatech Supermaxx's).
Hello, you will have no header clearance issues.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

There is only one K-member that's Heavy-Duty..... In fact only one, the UMI uses two cross tubes, which are then also welded together. That's TWICE the lateral strength of a single tube design. And what's more is the UMI part is also available in a road-race version with additional gussets for even more strength.

It's a UMI part, but I had a LOT of input on it, and if you pay any attention at all, you'll see it's not like the others from BMR, Spohn, PA Racing, etc. Those are all meant to be as light as possible, and frankly not up to lateral loads (all the lateral load you put into the front end go through the lower arm into the K-member. Much is made about how well those single tube K's "hold up" to wheelstands.... Much like other things you hear, it's a lot of spin. Think about it. The loads generated when the car lands go through the shocks and springs into the shock towers, not the K-member. That's no measure of the strength of the K-member!

You compare this one to any one else's and tell me which you think it stronger:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7

And even taking a step down, and looking at a standard one without the bracing added: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I do apologize, I meant to say "UMI Heavy Duty" but somehow I dislexically typed "BMR Heavy Duty"... you can see how I have been browsing all the maker's websites and have alphabet souping floating round in my head...

So I take it the UMI Heavy Duty k-member allows enough clearance on the driver side (left side) LT header (the reinforcing flange looks like it comes close to the pipe cluster)...?

I have to think about this a little more, but thanks for your input (I do my homework slowly and then make a purchase).
Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar

So I take it the UMI Heavy Duty k-member allows enough clearance on the driver side (left side) LT header (the reinforcing flange looks like it comes close to the pipe cluster)...?
We have no clearance issues with our K-member as well!

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you
Ryan
Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Even if you choose the non-race version for more clearance it's still light years beefier than the others..... A picture is worth a thousand words.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: What k-member should I buy? UMI's or Spohn's?