Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thanks UMI! (Adjustable Torque Arm)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thanks UMI! (Adjustable Torque Arm)

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for a very well made product. Your adjustable torque arm was extremely easy to install...one of the easiest installs I've done actually. No surprises, no fitment issues with my dual exhaust, nothing. Lucky for me, I was able to get the pinion angle pretty good on my first shot I didn't snap any pics, but can get some if someone really wants to see it.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up man! Glad to hear it was easy. I'm planning to go w/ UMI. What end did you start from.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Hey I would like to see it if you dont mind.

I want to see how it first with your custom exhaust.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Hey I would like to see it if you dont mind.

I want to see how it first with your custom exhaust.
I'll do my best to get under it and get some clearance shots tomorrow. No promises...but if I don't get it tomorrow, I should be able to get a couple this weekend.

As for which end first, I ended up putting the clamshell with the poly mount in first, and tightened the top bolt enough to get it started, but not all the way tight. I then slipped the torque arm in to the poly mount, and let it sit in place on the rear (the torque arm) while I tightened up the last top bolt on the clamshell. I then manipulated the rear end a little to get the bolt holes to line up, and dropped the bolts in. I found this much easier to do with the panhard rod out of the way (you can slide a jack under where the panhard rod connects to the rear end, and use that as a jack point to rotate the rear about the axles to line up the holes). After that, it was nothing more than adjusting it, dropping it on the ground, and taking it for a spin.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Did you feel the difference?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
Did you feel the difference?
That is pretty subjective, especially seeing what torque arm it replaced (an LG Motorsports torque arm). The LG arm was a solid piece, no adjustment on it, and it mounted to the transmission with spherical rod end, so it was a solid connection. The LG arm was definitely more solid feeling (as it should have been since the UMI arm is held to the transmission with a poly mount), but it was also noisier. The UMI arm is nearly as solid, but rides much better under daily driving conditions. The LG arm was lighter as well, but only by a few pounds. I wanted the adjustment to get my driveline angle in line, especially with my Strange 12-bolt that will eventually be going in. I'm working on finishing up my suspension and drivetrain this year and moving on to the engine maybe next year.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would love to see some pics also..
Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

good info... i just ordered mine this weekend and its good to hear reviews like this with helpful install tips as well.. thanks meents
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by qwikz28
good info... i just ordered mine this weekend and its good to hear reviews like this with helpful install tips as well.. thanks meents
Let me know if you have any other questions when it comes time to do the actual install...I think what took me the longest was drilling out the rivets that hold the rubber pieces in in the stock clamshell to make room for the polyurethane piece. A good drill and a bench vise go a long way in making that easier. I was happy with dropping the panhard rod too...I've done all my other torque arm installs with it in, and it was harder to get the rear to rotate correctly to line up the holes in the rear end with that still attached.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear everything went well Steve

Ryan
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

lets see some pics
Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Let me know if you have any other questions when it comes time to do the actual install...I think what took me the longest was drilling out the rivets that hold the rubber pieces in in the stock clamshell to make room for the polyurethane piece. A good drill and a bench vise go a long way in making that easier. I was happy with dropping the panhard rod too...I've done all my other torque arm installs with it in, and it was harder to get the rear to rotate correctly to line up the holes in the rear end with that still attached.
i ordered a new panhard bar from UMI as well so i'll be sure to remove the stocker first! thanks for the tips and i'll be sure to take your advice when install time comes around... i appreciate the help