Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Line lock doesnt hold very well

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Line lock doesnt hold very well

Anybody else had issues with this? I have the SJM kit.
Flip the switch, push the brakes, push the button, let off brakes, clutch dump, but the car rolls forward. I was on street tires, so I dont really see why it wouldnt have held. I can definitely hear the solenoid switching on, and I verified that it does hold a little because I cant push the car while its engaged. Am I not pushing the brakes hard enough before I let off of them, or do I need to pump the brakes up or something?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you have some air left in the line from when you installed it. Try bleeding the brakes again.
The following users liked this post:
BMW 650i (10-23-2022)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, maybe bleed the breaks again
The following users liked this post:
BMW 650i (10-23-2022)
Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Brakes have been completely bled...
Maybe I didnt hit the brakes hard enough prior to pushing the button?
Also, does the SJM kit lock both front brakes or only the driver's side?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:12 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to push the brake pedal as hard as you can before pushing the button.

Both front wheels should be locked with a line lock.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe the front tires are locked up and just sliding?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same kit, and i found pumping them a little will help as well, could differ from a m6 to a4 though
Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

Doesnt matter on the transmission and if you have to pump it there must be air in the line or a leak. You have to push the brakes hard then lock them or you could start rolling forward, just try that and see if it holds. There is a slim chance that the line lock isn't holding the pressure and bleeding past the valve letting the pressure off, havent heard any issues with that yet though.

Dan
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

I pump mine 3 times and it holds better, and I dont have any air in my lines. Its worth a shot. I use the slp kit though.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

On my Hurst Line lock I have to hold the brake flip the switch then pump the brake one more time to hold. That's what hurst says to do and I would think it's like this with all line locks
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

I have a slp kit and i have to push the pedal hard to get it to hold completely
Old 01-12-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

I talked to hurst as well for the same problem when I bought mine and they did say you can pump it a couple times and hold it firmly and flip the switch, or press hard on the brake, flip the switch and your good to go. Not sure what pumping would do after you set the line lock on, once the valve closes no more pressure can be applied to the brakes right? Anyway, this is interesting at how everyone does it different.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I've got the SLP lock. Mine won't let the brakes release. They stay applied, and I'm not even useing the lock. It's happened a couple of times now. I just put my stock brake line back in today. I'm going to the track tomarrow and don't want to have any problems. UPS delivered the replacement soleniod late today when I got home from work. I'll have to put it in next week. First time I've had a problem with one of SLP's products.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

I installed a line lock last year and used the Summit Racing gold solenoid and custom fabbed the rest of the setup myself...

I noticed once I had the line lock in it would not hold pressure to the brakes properly... Heck it wouldn't even give a satisfying 'thud' when actuated, it was more of a soft 'click'...

So I had an option, either take apart the solenoid and see if I an fix it myself or send it back to summit and deal with the hassles of putting the stock line back in and redoing it later... I decided not to send it back and ripped it apart...

Now, these solenoids (either the gold or black one) are identical to the Hurst line lock in design and build (the Hurst rebuild kit can be used to rebuild them as a reference point)...

I took it apart to find a bit of machining flash left over and not allowing the pintle to seat fully in the orifice, thus it would not hold pressure... I also found that the plunger was hanging up on more machining flash on the inside of the sleeve, which was preventing the plunger from moving with full force when activated... I ended up smoothed everything out, cleaned it well, reassembled it and it works absoloutly perfect now... Nice solid 'thud' when actuated and holds the brakes great...

One thing I would like to mention is with this solenoid design they have a 'bypass' passage in the body that allows for more fluid to flow to the brake calipers if you pump the pedal once the solenoid is activated... In other words you could hold the brakes, actuate the solenoid and then pump them to firmly seat the brake pads... The bypass has a check ball and spring, so it is obvious they designed it this way on purpose... I am fairly certain you don't want to actuate the lock without holding the brakes first as the fluid passage for the bypass is smaller than the main passage in the solenoid, thus it doesn't flow as well, so using it to add additional pressure seems to be the intended purpose...

The line lock holds the front brakes quite firmly (I have a C5 Z06 front brake upgrade), and even with 315 drag radials on 17x11s out back the car doesn't move...
Old 01-13-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Well, last night I got to play with it some more, and I got it to hold perfectly once, so I guess I just need to make sure I really push the brakes hard. I also jacked the car up and verified that it is holding both front brakes. I guess it will just take some getting used to. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanZ28
I talked to hurst as well for the same problem when I bought mine and they did say you can pump it a couple times and hold it firmly and flip the switch, or press hard on the brake, flip the switch and your good to go. Not sure what pumping would do after you set the line lock on, once the valve closes no more pressure can be applied to the brakes right? Anyway, this is interesting at how everyone does it different.

the valve is a one way valve so it will only let pressure through one way but not the other. That's how it holds pressure
Old 01-13-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
the valve is a one way valve so it will only let pressure through one way but not the other. That's how it holds pressure
After reading 95 TA - The Beast post (thanks for the detailed tech) it seems it's a pintle setup for primary and will not let fluid go either way . I didn't know it had an additional bypass one way valve though so fluid could still go through once it's locked, thanks for correcting me. I did do a google search trying to find some sort of schematic on one but no luck.

Dan
Old 01-13-2007, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

All our solenoids hold ~3000psi of pressure. They all work similar.

Either brake pressure applied is not great enough from the start, or air could be trapped in the lines.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
All our solenoids hold ~3000psi of pressure. They all work similar.

Either brake pressure applied is not great enough from the start, or air could be trapped in the lines.
User error on my part

Quick Reply: Line lock doesnt hold very well