Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Machine new rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Machine new rotors?

I got a set of Brembo blanks and Hawk pads that I'll be putting on my car (01 Firebird) shortly. While getting a new tire at the local tire and brake place, I spoke with the owner about the job. He stated that if they installed my rotors and pads, they would machine them first. They do this with all their new rotors before they put them on.

Question: is this necessary and/or beneficial?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in the least, any new rotor shouldn't need to be machined at all. Just wipe them off and install.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

If you have to cut a new rotor then it's **** anyways. Any new rotor is shipped ready to be put on.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only thing I did before I installed my Brembo blanks was to spray them down with brake cleaner and wipe them off. They're smooth as glass.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
Only thing I did before I installed my Brembo blanks was to spray them down with brake cleaner and wipe them off. They're smooth as glass.
Exactly. Find a new shop.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah if the rotors are brand new then they dont need to be done. He could just be covering his butt or not know any better if its a chain shop though.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

they shouldnt be worped from the factory.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

When I went to automotive school over ten years ago, I remember them specifically telling us that new rotors should be turned. I don't remember the explanation behind it, nor have I done it on my own vehicles, I certainly wouldn't do it to a new set of Brembo's. It seems some shops turn them, some shops don't. I don't think they're trying to rip you off. It may just be their policy.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard lately. Run - don't walk - away from that shop.

EDIT: and at the risk of repeating myself from previous posts, please consider doing your own brake work. The small investment in tools that you may need is generally less than paying for a brake job once, not to mention you get the satisfaction of doing the work yourself, know its done correctly, and get some tools in the process (assuming you don't have what you need already). Check here for some good instructions: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm

Last edited by Fulton 1; 01-16-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

the shop must be used to valucraft rotors that come warped.dont cut the rotors! if you put them on and the wheel or pedal shakes when you brake then cut them otherwise look for another shop. i would'nt trust them w /an oil change.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

clean with brake cleaner to get the film off of the rotors and or other stuff you have got on the rims. Then you can install them. They are pretty easy to put on, Find some friends and get some beer.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Some shops do it just to jack up the price. In your case they didn't make anything on the parts so that may be why. Although, sometimes you do get warped rotors from the factory but, in my experience, it is pretty rare. I have heard shop managers say it is to reduce come backs but if the car was test driven and the brakes seated before the customer picked it up, you would know the rotors were warped.

Like everyone else has said, just spray the rotors with brake cleaner to get the oil off of them.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Teching In

1. The shop is trying to rip you off because you're not doing it yourself....
2. Just clean the rotors off with brake cleaner and put them on.
3. New rotors do not need to be turned because they're already prepped.

This has already been said several times, however.....
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Teching In

IF YOU WANT TO FREAK OUT A CUSTOMER, DONT CLEAN THE OIL OFF, GO TEST DRIVE IT. WHEN U COME BACK SMOKE WILL BE BILLOWING OUT OF THE WHEELS. IT'S FUNNY TO WATCH THE CUSTOMERS REACTION.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. To add more info:

1. I had planned on doing this myself. I started the inquiry with the owner to gain info and to see if the price may justify having someone else do it.
2. The price to install and machine the rotors, install the pads, and flush the system was quoted at $150, all around.

Does this change anyone's opinion?

I personally thought the price justified having someone else do it. ****, it may be slightly cheaper if I bring my own ATE super blue to use. Before inquiring here, I was going to tell them to leave the rotors alone, so I'm glad my hunch was right. I have read many threads of people installing their new rotors and not one mentioned machining them first.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installing new pads and rotors is a breeze. Should take you an hour at the most, and that's if you've only got two jackstands and have to "see-saw" the car. Flushing the system is a bit more work, but $150 for a pad/rotor install and system flush would make me say "No thanks". Hell, you could buy all the necessary tools for $150, and still have enough left over for a case of beer when you get done.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had it planned for this weekend, but with my wife and daughter going out of town, I have to keep an eye on my sons. It would be my first time doing it so I didn't want any distractions. I'm sure the 7 yr. old could pump the brakes, its the younger one I'm worried about. LOL.

Yeah, the reasoning the owner gave to machining them was because of the returns they have on new rotors. So yeah, I agree, they probably aren't use to quality rotors and do it as a precautionary measure.

Thanks for the feedback and info guys.