Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Get Konis and forget SFC's/ SFC's more important for the Konis to have best effect?
Buy the Konis and Hotchkis, the chassis doesnt flex enough to matter
73.91%
But SFC's otherwise the Konis/Hotchkis is a waste of $$ because you dont see the most out of it.
26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Suspension Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well put I like how they reinforce the lca mounting points also they do help just not a huge difference in the drive. I want some on my SS but I dont want to weld on it and im not sure about just bolting them on. I had them on my RS it was a very minimal difference but I did like the piece of mind.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why wouldnt you wanna weld them on?

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Well put I like how they reinforce the lca mounting

points also they do help just not a huge difference in the drive. I want some on my SS but I dont want to weld on it and im not sure about just bolting them on. I had them on my RS it was a very minimal difference but I did like the piece of mind.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
i still maintain on a stock car they're great, they were my first mod, not because I necessarilly wanted a better handling car, but for a few reasons.

first and foremost, I want to preserve the car, I bought it low miles, and I want to treat it as such, and keep it as such ... I want it to stay tight and straight. It's my insurance, so to speak, on keeping the car nice, regardless of what the future brings.
I have three 4th gens, all with 100K+ miles, from various years (94,97, and 98); two with hardtops, one with T-tops, two autos, one M6 etc. One thing they have in common is none of them have SFCs, and no my interior doesn't rattle excessively, no I don't have 'dimples' in my rear quarter panels, and no none of my cars are falling apart.

Buy shocks first.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
My point is, he wont be able to tell Koni's from Bilsteins without a more rigid chassis. NOT that the shocks wont help AT ALL, just that spending the $$ for Konis makes no sense without SFC's.
Yes he will. You're way overestimating the effect of SFC's on these cars. He'll probably have more trouble telling the difference after the SFC's are added (compared to before) than the shocks.

however, I drive at night quite often, and if I hit a deer, I'll take some comfort in knowing my T-Top car won't just crumple as I've seen some of them do when hitting a large object.
If you hit a deer hard enough to need SFC's to strengthen the chassis, you need to slow down in a big way.....
Old 01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Default Drag Racing

I am new to Tech, but I have been drag racing for a while. I have the weld in 2point Spohn SFC,s, and I felt a difference coming out of the burnout box and at the launch. But I do only have stock WS6 shocks.

I go to the drags monthly, and I am very happy with my spohn SFCs.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trackbird
Yes he will. You're way overestimating the effect of SFC's on these cars. He'll probably have more trouble telling the difference after the SFC's are added (compared to before) than the shocks.

If you hit a deer hard enough to need SFC's to strengthen the chassis, you need to slow down in a big way.....

you haven't seen deer from the northwest
Old 01-24-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Fair enough...

But if you hit something with the nose, that's what crumples. The SFC's don't even start until behind the firewall.
you haven't hit a deer at 90 before have you

it just lowers the risk of totalling the car out, the front is much easier to fix and the drivability isn't nearly as compromised when in a frontend accident with them...

just firsthand experience with a previous car of my own, thats all, so its peace of mind for me
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

SFC's you don't need those with a 4th gen F-body. Man, your thinking Fox chassis Mustangs.

These cars are pretty damn tight...save your $$$$ and drive it with a fresh set of shocks and bushings, go to the parts house and get some Moog or order from one of the sponsors.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

You guys can believe what you want, but you're fooling yourself. First, I've hit deer, I live in Pennsylvania. I've actually hit a deer with 3 vehicles @ once. My truck, towing a car trailer with a car on it, and the deer got all three. It was a not tiny 6-point Buck as well. I know about hitting deer.

Fact remains, the front of the car is not in any way supported by SFC's, that's what you are missing. SFC's are for torsional rigidity and bending resistance. I've seen vehicles buckle in the middle and it takes a lot more than a deer, and when they do they are long since totalled. And, I think you're ignoring crush zones, places meant to crumple on impact to dispurse energy. Things GM put into the car and something you can't undo by parts nowhere near the location.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you haven't hit a deer at 90 before have you
Nope, I was only doing 80 when I hit the last one, but it was in Maryland (heading into Morgantown, WV on I68).
Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Well..... *that* was interesting!

If you were serious about the help on other shock options, just call me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Ahhh... I think I get it! What you're saying is... If you drive a Fox body Mustang, while eatin' KFC, you'll probably need SFC's if you plan on huntin' deer?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jb442
Ahhh... I think I get it! What you're saying is... If you drive a Fox body Mustang, while eatin' KFC, you'll probably need SFC's if you plan on huntin' deer?
Im more worried about getting my car lowered with lca's/adj phr and a TA and getting everything aligned right so the car acts and handles as best as it can then worrying sfc's right now.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well..... *that* was interesting!

If you were serious about the help on other shock options, just call me.
Yea I was kidding with ya man. The last time I even thought about SFC was with a fox mustang. Talk about wet noodle...sheesh. I sure like specs of your springs. We can't go over my car in detail through this site. I'll call you come next week....youDEER KILLER

Side note I might weld up "certified" deer proof SFC's..for ya know one of those special nights
Old 01-25-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Carter Hays, ref you 50 line unintelligable rant (which I will not waste the space to quote)...
Dude...are you drunk or what?
I'm just glad you were sitting at your computer and not driving.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep had a "few" my neighbor is shipping out to Kuwait... I'm sorry if I... hell I'm still drunk snd started ****. I would never drive like this. The whole deer thing made me laugh as only a drunk could. Sober it will be " why oh why" hahahah.

Still want to get the old F-body back on track. Still going to call StranoParts. (yes when sober)

PS sorry if I pissed you off brother. I'm just messing around.

Deer Killer SFC's are in the works
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not pissed, just couldn't understand much of what you typed.

Forums are about info exchange and entertainment, and it was entertaining!

Glad 2 c u man up and explain, I was a little worried you would get offended and turn it into a pissing match.

Sorry to get off topic. This has been another fun and informative thread!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread rocks!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I could actually tell a HUGE difference when i got BMR weld in subframe connectors put in. NO i could not feel a difference at all.......but my rear quarter panels stopped getting dimples every time i stepped on it. Most cars dont have a problem with this but my car DEFINITLY got dimples when i stepped on it. Maybe i just got a special edition with a couple hundred extra hp

Quick Reply: Suspension Help!