Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handle better than C6, yet still grab rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Handle better than C6, yet still grab rubber?

I basically am looking for a suspension package that will really increase the cornering capability of the car, yet leave some room to grab some tire at the strip. I don't want to be able to cut 1.4 60 fts, yet I would like to be able to cut maybe a 1.7 or 1.7 with a drag radial/slick. Basically I want a happy medium of cornering and traction. I was thinking about slightly lowering the car, maybe 1", which springs would I need? I was also definitely going to get adjustable LCA's, panhard bar, and SFC's. Do you think sway bars would be a good idea? And also, do shocks help with cornering as much, or is it more of a ride quality thing? Sorry but I'm def a noobie when it comes to suspension. If I was to get shocks, I would want adjustable ones so I could corner well when I want, then adjust them for drag racing. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a good shock and spring combo will help everything except your wallet
Old 01-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Launching!

how much are you looking at for a decent shock/spring setup? Over a grand?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni SA shocks and Hotchkis Springs would work well. If you need cheaper, then Bilstein Revalves and Hotchkis Springs. That will give you about 1" drop and improve your handling dramatically. Front 34" sawbar will help with cornering and should not affect drag racing.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you pony up foir the Konis you will have improved ride and cornering. You can save $ and launch ability by keeping stock springs and do the lower perch/hose mod to get a 3/4" drop. And yes, some bigger sway bars will help cornering and have no neg impact on launch. I am very happy w my Strano bars. They are hollow(lighter) and Strano's racing success speaks 4 itself...they r well thaught out.

He also makes some well liked springs that lower and improove cornering...give him a call.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Found this combo on Thunder Racing's website, is this something I should think about, or should I just buy the Billstein shocks and separate springs from somewhere else?

Thunder Racing Shocks
Part # 133-BTS-7501 is what I am referring to.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

First, stop looking at information from all those websites since most products are made to sound to do things that they may not really do. Second, you need to tell us what your budget is. In your original post you said "I was to get shocks, I would want adjustable ones so I could corner well when I want, then adjust them for drag racing". Pretty much the only decent shocks that will give you adjustability and good handling characteristics are the Konis (singe -rebound only- or double adjustable ones - rebound and compression- , but double adjustables are overkill for most), but they cost more than the set you are looking at AND don't come with any lowering springs. So if you want adjustables, you need to pay. So you see where this is going financially.

Personally if I were you I would do the following (assuming you have the financial means to do so):
- Koni SAs up front, Koni 3rd gen SAs in the back. Use the lower mounting perch on the front Konis to lower your car ~3/4 inch, and remove the rubber isolator in the back and replace with hose to lower the back ~1/2 inch.
- Keep stock springs
- Get a 35 mm front sway bar (and remove at the drag strip).
- Keep the SFCs, LCAs and PHB for a later time (PHB might be needed if you are using big tires and have rubbing problems).

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Hmm, maybe I don't want to spend as much on this as I originally intended. Would the Billstein non-adjustable still be decent at the strip, yet still give a better ride and handling?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can search and find the thread, but basically 2 people who use Sam's springs still cut 1.7 at the dragstrip. I use his and cut a 1.9 leaving at idle; I prefer RR and autox but still hit the strip 1-2 times a year.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

fa63 - what is lower mounting perch on the front?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insane

On the Koni SA's you can move a perch to one of two locations. So lower mounting perch is the lowest of the two locations.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If somone gives me a setup with vette like handling etc

I would ditch my drag stuff...
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slick1851

F-bodies can be made to handle nearly as good as a Corvette, but they will never feel the same.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Found this combo on Thunder Racing's website, is this something I should think about, or should I just buy the Billstein shocks and separate springs from somewhere else?

Thunder Racing Shocks
Part # 133-BTS-7501 is what I am referring to.
Much talk about these lately.... Shocks don't have good valving to handle the spring rates, which are too high in the rear anyway.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you want a mix of something that you can drive daily, autox if you want to, and take to the dragstrip non hardcore competitively. This is what I would do I was in your position:

1. Koni SA's front and rear
2. Keep stock springs for now
3. Strano front and rear swaybars
and in the future
4. 17x11s all around with BFG KD tires (personal preference )

Autox and drag setups are completely opposite suspension setups, though street and autox setups are pretty similar. With a street autox setup you can go to the drag strip and get some pretty decent times, and the ride is much better and more fun on the street. You will probably have a hard time competing with a drag setup on an autox course.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851

SCCA Solo Nationals--2006. I won ESP in my 2001 Camaro (3rd National Championship), and Mike Johnson won ASP in his 2002 Z06 (2nd Championship, and he beat me for his first in equal cars). I ran a total time of 101.229 and won by 1.189. Mike ran a 99.825, and won by 0.754 over an insane Porsche GT2 (with the boost turned up).

There was 1.40 seconds difference between us for the event after 100 seconds of time (fastest from each course added up). 1.4 seconds back in a Camaro that's 400 pounds heavier, has taller gearing (and I'm about 100 pounds heavier than Mike is too), I think proves how well a Camaro can be made to handle. This is two equal drivers. I had setup input on both cars, both were on Hoosier tires (315's all around my car, 315 front/335 rear on the Z06).

Ready to dump you drag racing parts?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!