Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A cheaper alternative to Expensive Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A cheaper alternative to Expensive Coilovers

I was browsing an online company known as coleman racing where I noticed they had coilover kits. They are not model specific they just have different sizes listed. Has anyone ever used these or made their own coilovers. Ground controls are nice but if you can do it for less money, why not?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of them, so I wouldnt use them.....GC are proven to be good and they use Eibach springs and you can get custom spring rates etc
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Cheaper? You might not realize all that's involved in the setup..... you have some $200 in just the springs alone. And do you know what size springs you need? You'd have to buy a spanner. You have buy a top hat for the front to adapt the spring to the upper mount and they come in different styles. And FWIW, the sleeve size isn't exactly right for OD of the shock either.

Everyone is so coil-over stupid they don't realize all the issues. I run them, and I have reason to run them being I race my car and need to play with spring rates and had to corner weight the car. Ride height changes aren't quick (plan on at least an hour when your get good at it), and any real change will also require another alignment.

Frankly when it come down to it most folks don't realize what's involved. And when they do they realize the price for a kit isn't exactly highway robbery.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Cheaper? You might not realize all that's involved in the setup..... you have some $200 in just the springs alone. And do you know what size springs you need? You'd have to buy a spanner. You have buy a top hat for the front to adapt the spring to the upper mount and they come in different styles. And FWIW, the sleeve size isn't exactly right for OD of the shock either.

Everyone is so coil-over stupid they don't realize all the issues. I run them, and I have reason to run them being I race my car and need to play with spring rates and had to corner weight the car. Ride height changes aren't quick (plan on at least an hour when your get good at it), and any real change will also require another alignment.

Frankly when it come down to it most folks don't realize what's involved. And when they do they realize the price for a kit isn't exactly highway robbery.

I spent over 3 1/2 hours readjusting the ride height on my car via the GC coilovers to raise my car to the ride height that I wanted it to be...THEN a front wheel alignment...

It was time consuming...

Worth it, but time consuming nonetheless...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

You bring up a good point fair enough, BTW I need to call you B/C I recieved my shocks and bars the other day and I should probably get the settings right for the konis.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's another reason..... they require modificaiton to the Koni's which will void the warranty too. Fine if you are racing, not so much for a street car.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Never heard of them, so I wouldnt use them.....GC are proven to be good and they use Eibach springs and you can get custom spring rates etc
As Sam Strano clearly pointed out, dialing in a coil-over set up on the street isn't easy and/or cheap, wherever you buy the parts. HOWEVER, let me add this... I raced an oval track car for a couple of years back in the mid 80s. Coleman Racing was making coil-over parts way back then (20+ years ago!!), so just because someone hasn't heard of them, doesn't mean they aren't good......Just ask around!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I never said the parts were junk, for the record. But they also don't have a ready to go kit for the car, just individual parts.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not saying there no good, but im not a test subject either
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used some sleeves from coleman in a coilover conversion on my old Fiero. They worked great.

Quick Reply: A cheaper alternative to Expensive Coilovers