Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Shocks/Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Shocks/Springs???

Ok I have a 99 T/A that is lower than hell. everytime i hit a bump it bangs and bounces... its terrible . I purchased the car and it was already droped, but the ride was not too bad. Within about 10k miles it started getting worse and now is to the point I cant enjoy the ride . I know very little about suspension so I decided to come here for a little help. I do not know what springs/shocks are on it, so i just want to replace them both at the same time ( not to mention it has 110k on it).

It is a everyday driver but I do want a bit more performance as far as handling/possible launching than just the stock. And I do not mind a little bit of a rougher ride if it means better performance. I would like close to stock ride height but lower is fine also.

So what brand/set up would you recommend? If possible any links to these products? If there is any other upgrades as far as suspension such as control arms or anything else you think is a good idea throw that in there with some links also please, Thanks .
Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a number of opinions on this website as to which shocks are BEST. No matter what, at 110K, yours are probably gone, so a replacement is in order. Your springs should be OK, so I recommend just new set of shocks.

(Just for reference, I'm using the revalved Bilsteins that SLP was selling. I teamed them with a set of Eibach springs.)
Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The car is lower than hell, rides like crap and has gotten worse..... It's gotten worse because the shocks have gotten worse, and that happened because you likely have stock shocks (orange) or something else not suitable for lowering springs. But the springs being super low isn't helping you either. Slammed springs are not good springs for anything but looks.

You need to decide what you are wanting to do with the springs first, because shocks are spring dampers. And realize that terrible springs will compromise good shocks somewhat. Better shocks (even not great ones) will help the car right now, but ones that aren't good for lowering springs will get worse over time like what you have now did.

More reasonable drop springs (1-1.25") make life better for you and the shocks, but don't let you get away without better shocks, which are the biggest single key to making the car work.

And SLP shocks are only valved for the SLP springs, which most lowering springs are stiffer than and lower than. Again, better, but not ideal if you don't have the SLP springs (you don't, you are too low). And I don't think the SLP shocks are firm enough in general. Not bad, but still a compromise.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Teching In

I was possibly looking at Koni's from stranoparts.com. But what is the difference between part KON-4/3 and part KON-4/4? Does the 4/3 mean 4th/3rd gen setup and 4/4 mean 4th/4th, if so then which one would be recommended for my setup? And as far as springs, I am about 99% sure I dont want to keep them, they are way too low and I dont want to ruin new shocks, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Whats springs would be recommended with the koni shocks, I'd rather a close to stock spring height that will work best with koni. Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's what it means. Either works, and nobody--including me, can recommend one over the other because they both work and you are paying for easier and more fine-tuneable adjustment on the 4th gen version than on the less expensive 3rd gen unit. That's the difference.

Springs. Numerous lowering springs. Strano, Hotchkis, Eibach, etc. Considering you don't know what you have picking might be tough. It'd help to know what is one the car. What color are they? Are there any numbers on the springs, etc? And you always have the option of stock springs and the slight lowering you get with the Koni perch/isolator mod.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Teching In

I am at work right now, I went out and looked at the springs, they are red, cant see any numbers. The front is very compressed on the bottom side, about 6 are flat with eachother, the rear is not compressed from what I can see. I will put it on a lift after I get off and check them out, maybe I will be able to get some numbers.

With the Eibach springs should I go with the ProKit Performance Springs Part # EIB-3870.140 or Sportline Spring Kit part # EIB-4.7038? I am assuming the sportline would lower the vehicle? Or just wait to be sure and get my car on a lift? Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You shouldn't be thinking about any springs right now..... not until we can figure out what you might have. Dark red kind of burgundy, regular red? And measure the height of the car ground to top of fender opening (and we need to know the tire size is a stock diameter).

Old 02-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Ok I will get the car on a lift when I get off, I may be able to get a picture or two as well. Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Ok Here we go, The front measures about 25 1/4. The rear measures 26 1/8. My tires are 275/40zr17 and I found 1 part number on the drivers rear: 76514/REAR.

Here is the links to the pics:
These are front pics:

These are from the rear:

Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found this on that part #
B+G Sport Springs 1993/2002 F-Body 1.4 " Lowering Springs

B+G Sport Springs will turn your ordinary stock suspension into a performance tuner suspension by lowering your car's center of gravity while increasing spring rates 20-35%. With spring winding experience dating back to 1812, B+G produces springs for production cars, private label brands, and racing applications. After years of supplying to the elite tuner marketplace throughout Europe and Asia, B+G has built a reputation for cutting edge technology and superior products. 1.4 " Lowering Springs Front spring 76513, from 67 N/mm to 120 N/mm. (progressive) Rear spring 76514, from 16,55 N/mm to 34 N/mm. (progressive)

Your Price: $149.95
MSRP: $229.95
Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get you some BMR's or Eibach pro kit! i should have some like new pro kit front springs 4sale soon Getting QA1's up front
Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Would the prokit go well with the koni shocks? What difference in height would I see? Thx
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MaaJa_Dah
Would the prokit go well with the koni shocks? What difference in height would I see? Thx
The Konis go well pretty much with any lowering spring (unless the rates are excessively high, and commonly used springs are nowhere near such rates), so no need to worry about that issue. Can't tell you how much difference in ride height you might see. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

The Shocks And Struts Look Like Tokico Hp's
Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good newb info here and a lack of flames.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bad combo.... here we have a situation where the springs aren't really good, and the shocks aren't really good. And 25.25" height in the front is too low for sure. Rate wise, you can see they are whacky. Take the N/mm's and multiply times 5.7 to get lbs/in.

I get 382-684 front, 94.5-194 rear... Ultimately way, way too stiff both for the shocks and in general for best mechanical grip and ride. I race on softer springs front and rear, and with WAY better shocks.

Frankly in this case, the problem is both items. I would also advise you take some time and call me if you are new to these things. I sell Eibach, and a fair bit of them, but we want and need the car up and I think that Hotchkis and Strano springs would be far better choices. We can also talk shocks.

And yes, Koni's will deal with about anything you could put on, provided it has some travel.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Bad combo.... here we have a situation where the springs aren't really good, and the shocks aren't really good. And 25.25" height in the front is too low for sure. Rate wise, you can see they are whacky. Take the N/mm's and multiply times 5.7 to get lbs/in.

I get 382-684 front, 94.5-194 rear... Ultimately way, way too stiff both for the shocks and in general for best mechanical grip and ride. I race on softer springs front and rear, and with WAY better shocks.

Frankly in this case, the problem is both items. I would also advise you take some time and call me if you are new to these things. I sell Eibach, and a fair bit of them, but we want and need the car up and I think that Hotchkis and Strano springs would be far better choices. We can also talk shocks.

And yes, Koni's will deal with about anything you could put on, provided it has some travel.
Ya I figured I was in a pickle... ya know when you hit a pebble and you think the car is going to go airborn . I will be giving you a call within about 2 days hopefully. Thankyou

Quick Reply: New Shocks/Springs???