Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replace OE DeCarbon's with DeCarbon take-offs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace OE DeCarbon's with DeCarbon take-offs

I have a 1998 SS convertible and it has original DeCarbon shocks/struts on it. The front left strut has gone to the graveyard for whatever reason, and i'm considering replacing it with the "take-off" DeCarbon shocks/struts that you've probably seen listed on the web. Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-01...QQcmdZViewItem

1) Are the "take-off" DeCarbons in the web-link the same ones that are on my 98 SS? (I know I have DeCarbons, but the web-link says they are not applicable for an SS)

If they are the same, this is most likely the most cost effective way to get me back in business...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

They will fit
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I have a 98 SS also. I bought a set of take-offs directly from SLP for about $50 several years ago, before I knew how crappy the decarbons are. I have put them on the car, but for the effort involved to replace the fronts I shouldn't have done it. Get some better shocks from Sam and make it worth your effort/time.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Default many levels of fixing the problem

I hear what you're saying. However, I think there are atleast three levels of fixing shocks.

Level 1:
Just get the car back on the road in the same shape it left the dealership. At this level, I think the best option is to get the "take-off" DeCarbons, because it is the least expensive and most appropriate option. Other options at this level are to get Monroe's or, go to the dealer and have them put on some factory new DeCarbons for 4x the price.

Level 2:
Get the Bilstein HD shocks from either tire-rack or SLP. This will upgrade the suspension reliability. (Word on the street is the Bilsteins will last much longer than the DeCarbons)

Level 3:
Get the SLP revalved Bilstein HD's with springs (this will lower the car 1" also). and provide improved reliability.

Level 4:
Talk to Sam, tell him what one wants to use the car for, and then you will very likely get exactly what you need.

Level 5:
Trash talk Sam, come up with your own solution, beat him in an SCCA race, or at the DragStrip, and now you're sitting in the catbird seat! (ok, you know i'm throwing a joke out there, but hey, it could happen. However, it's definitely not me, since i'm simply replacing my front shocks with DeCarbons.

Have a nice day...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

monroe's are better then decarbons. one of my friends is running them with stock springs and they work
Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I'm just saying because of the amount of work involved to change the fronts, make it worthwhile the first time. If you choose to put crappy ones back on at least you will be making an informed decision. I just didn't know better at the time.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

I wouldn't waste my time with the DeCarbons. There is nothing special about them and they seem to wear out quickly.

I replaced mine with Bilsteins and I've been very happy with them. I got all 4 for about $300 shipped from Auto Parts Warehouse, I believe.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
I wouldn't waste my time with the DeCarbons. There is nothing special about them and they seem to wear out quickly.

I replaced mine with Bilsteins and I've been very happy with them. I got all 4 for about $300 shipped from Auto Parts Warehouse, I believe.

If your going to just put in DeCarbons, I wouldn't even waste the time and keep the worn out ones in
Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I changed mine with Bilsteins and prokit I got from WS6store.com it was a packaged deal
Here is a link for a good deal on shocks:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...5d3718536353c9

Last edited by Hot94Z28; 03-21-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I changed mine with Bilsteins and prokit I got from WS6store.com it was a packaged deal
Here is a link for a good deal on shocks:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...5d3718536353c9

The problem is that the bilsteins cant handle the drop springs unless they are the revalved ones that Sam Strano sells.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PLucas
The problem is that the bilsteins cant handle the drop springs unless they are the revalved ones that Sam Strano sells.
I run SLP bilsteins and prokit that was sold as a packaged on there. I have not had any problems and have had them on since november.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I run SLP bilsteins and prokit that was sold as a packaged on there. I have not had any problems and have had them on since november.
Promblems dont' mean just the shock is going to fall off the car. There not made for that spring. Its a bad idea. But most people just dont' care about the supension and buy whatever and most people will sell whatever.

NOT SAM.

He will sell you what you NEED.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolformula
Promblems dont' mean just the shock is going to fall off the car. There not made for that spring. Its a bad idea. But most people just dont' care about the supension and buy whatever and most people will sell whatever.

NOT SAM.

He will sell you what you NEED.
Thats fine. But it has been working fine for me and my car is even more fun to drive now. If I had to do it over again I would most likely use Koni's anyways.

Quick Reply: Replace OE DeCarbon's with DeCarbon take-offs