Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

You guys lie about sfcs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

CALL ME A LIAR- I could tell a difference. Before I installed the SFC's I drove with the T Tops off and the car felt like tin foil. After the SFC's I have no issues about driving with the T Tops off. With the T tops on there really isn't a huge difference.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think they did **** for my car...I'm contemplating taking them off to see if i can tell a diff
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

So would a roll bar be more effective then SFC's at what the SFC's are suposed to do?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my convertible I can feel minor differences in
the torsional rigidity, just from taking out the sappy
little X-brace behind the trans there is a little more
"wiggle" through the middle. Not worth ditching the
long tubes for, though.

I don't need no steenkin' jacking points; I can do a
"racing lift" with the floor jack on the factory 'vert
reinforcement piece.

Still have a notion to just stick-brace LCA mounts
to driveshaft loop to trans crossmember attach
points one of these days, and see if I can make it
all bolt-in and under 20 pounds.

Like the STB, I view it as more of a low-frequency
vibration snubber than a structural member.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Interesting read. Looks like it's 60/40 for NO SFCs. I always thought unibody cars just by nature of physics and contruction could benefit from SFCs...stiffer overall.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to notice a difference before you put them on, jack the front of your car up and open and close the door. You will notice the door will jump the check a little. With them on you open and close the door with it jacked up and it shuts as the car is planted on all 4s. Sounds stupid but thats what I noticed when I did my oil changes and jacked the front up.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned

Just becouse you dont feel an automatic diffrence doesnt mean they didnt made your car stiffer. Sfc are agreat mod to your suspension they work well when you do all your other suspension mods!! I could tell a diffrence going over railroad tracks and over bumps that is feels alot stiffer.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I felt a difference when I installed mine. The car didn't feel so flimsy after I had them welded in and it was tighter in turns, but I don't make harsh turns anymore.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also I believe which SFC design you go with makes a difference. The 3 point system should lead to more noticable results. Tying in longitudnal doesnt to me seem like that great of a difference maker as there really isnt a frame piece in front or back to resist twisting. The 3 point at least gives more support in that area. The difference was night and day in cornering in my car. It took the snake action out. Some of the lack of result for some people could also be from improper installation. Or maybe the driver isn't in tune enough to feel the difference. They are not a miracle cure for cancer thats for sure, but I do know how the car felt before and after. I'd rather have them than not, but again I'm running Kenny Brown double diamond SFC's. They arent big and bulky and have the triangulated design.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed my SFC's a year ago, I noticed an improvement in how the car handled through the turns and during 1/4 mile runs. Also the rattles I had prior to the install were eliminated. The only issue I had was the harsh ride - a characteristic of a car whose chassis has been tighted up (reinforced) considerablely. After I installed the panhard bar, and the LCA's, the ride was much better than before. I ran the car with the Nitto 555R's in the rear and then with the stock GSC's - both yielded a greatly improved ride over what I had before. In my case the SFC's played a role in improving the ride and handling characteristics of my ride. The car overall is much more enjoyable to ride than before. I get the same feedback from passengers who were impressed with the ride quality of this particular f-body.

I still have to do the following mods for the rear; shocks & springs (still running OEM), and LCA relocation brackets.

Happy Easter!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did notice a difference with the Kenny Bell DD SFCs. As others have noted, the difference is primarily "felt" over bumbs, tracks, etc. I don't think there is any argument over whether or not is stiffens the chassis. An argument can be made on the benefit it delivers versus the added weight and cost...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have them...all I can say is that I will be getting Konis shocks soonand keep my stock springs along with the lower perch setting in the front and the heater hose mod in the back, from Sam Strano of course.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok Lets Just Say This With My Sfcs I Can Take 3 Wheels Off The Ground With 1 Jack Point.. Ive Tried This Many Times With Other F-bodies And It Dosent Happen Really

Yea They May Not Be The End All But I Think A Good Set Of Dd Sfcs Help Out Alot In Stiffing **** Up.. I Noticed My Car Rode Like A God Dam Brick After I Put Mine On

Conversly, If You Just Dd Your Fbody You May Not Need Them.. Personally I Beat The **** Out Of My Car, Have Lots Of Power, And Use Sticky Tires... I Put Them On A Long Long Time Ago And My Car Has No Signs Of Being Tweaked

Simply Put I Think Sfcs Are More A Matter Of Do You Need Them ? Not If They Work.. Most Probaly Dont Need Them Because Good Shocks And Street Tires = Not That Much Stress On The Frame, But If Your Tring To Pull The Fronts Or Just Use Really Sticky Tires And Drive Agressively I Think You Can See Their Need..
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

man, i just hope u dont believe that a pair of Konis will make your car drive like a Ferrari, cuz they dont. They are a nice upgrade, but nothing like the hype people start believing.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed a set on my car last summer, it had 78K on the car, dropped springs, and Koni SA's up front, Bilstein HD's out back.

I only noticed them a little, as mentioned earlier, pulling in/out of the drive at an angle. It does change the way the car handles somewhat when hitting a bumb at speed, but it's not dramatic at all.

For what its worth, I'm glad I have them on regardless of the immediate feel. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm so confused from reading this thread, I was hoping to get some good insight. So many people claim sub frame connectors tighten up the car, make it ride better over bumps, give the car better handling in turns, takes away the snake movements...

and then...

So many other people claim they are a waste of money, it's nothing you can feel, only makes the car ride more harshly. I don't know what to believe anymore!

On the other hand, I was wondering if you ever need to replace your stock springs, how do you know if those are worn out or not?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put SFCs in my car for a piece of mind. I have t-tops, so I figured it was a must. Read all the stuff about frame twisting/creases/whatever, I felt like I had to do it... First thing I did to my car...
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I figure it can't hurt. I'm going with MWC SFCs next year. I'm no structural engineer but they do seem to make more sense than the ones that run directly along the rockers and also don't even actually attach to the rear subframe.

If nothing else, it'll give me more jack points. I must say one thing that I love about my Trailblazer is the solid frame letting me jack wherever I need instead of only having a couple spots per side
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe your car has no *****? JK I havnt installed mine yet so I wouldnt know if they work or not. Will find out soon enough I guess
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do SFC's weigh 50 lbs? That is a lot of weight if it's true. My car's rear end kind of snakes when changing lanes or turning at high speeds, would SFC's help keep the rear end more stable and in line with the rest of the car?

Quick Reply: You guys lie about sfcs.