Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: street driving w/out front sway bar?
yes I do it-not that dangerous
57.65%
no-I like corner carving-it's too dangerous
42.35%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

street driving w/out front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way to avoid an emergency situation is to drive safely. period. I dont care if you have a super car if you push it on the street you will get f'd up eventually.

As far as "whats the point" of driving slow in town, safety, safety is the point. Why would you drive a modded car fast in town anyway? You wont get anywhere faster and you wont get anywhere dead. Keep your speed where it belongs, on the track.

It just boils down to there are 2 kinds of people, those who want to feel lateral acceleration and fly around corners, and those who want to go fast. If you bought an Fbody to handle you made a mistake, my old bone stock miata (yes yes I know, it was gay) would blow away most any fbody here in the twisties.

To each there own I suppose, but I have a Camaro with all the handeling stuff like stranos handeling kit 4 and what not. Its all coming off now. Going stock springs and Koni's with no front bar and a solid 24mm rear with MT's.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by edwardswb
I've been on 4 trips from California to Oklahoma and back the other way. Snow, rain, sleet, and luckily no hail. I did it without a front sway bar and even had to maneuver around some real obstacles along the way. Be it crap that fell off a truck, animals, or potholes. I'm not saying that this is for the novice average joe but it can be done and done safely. My first vehicle was a 71 Chevy truck and it had slack in the manual steering, no front sway bar, and a 3 on the tree (3speed manual column shift for those of you that have never seen or heard of it) and I lived on miles of dirt and gravel roads. Everyone should learn to drive that way.
This dude is obviously a superhuman bred from a long line of macho drivers who could beat up your dad while banging your mom(All while driving a 900RWHP F-body in the snow). 99% of people aren't that awesome, so I'd say LEAVE YOUR BAR ON! If a tenth is just sooo important to you, then unbolt it at the track. No wonder they call our cars "mullet" mobiles.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you cant just disagree? All hes trying to say is what the majority of the people who voted said.

I mean seriously I cant imagine that the people who are saying its totaly unsafe have ever driven without it. The only person I know of who has a reason for saying it isnt is Sam Strano 'cause he lives and breaths auto cross.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Camaro
One last question? I'm just curious: For the people that drive without front sway bars, have you ever had to make an evasive maneuver in an emergency situation?
I got a question for you. Just curious. Have you ever driven without the front sway bar? The point alotta guys are makin here is they feel no difference without it.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt say no difference, but it feels no worse than stock.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

This thread is possessed.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU! *throws holy water on computer*
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with ZMONSTER that if you bought a f-body to carve corners your a tool. Theres probably only a handful of f-body owners who autocross compared to people who drag race. My prior setup was for better handling, easily had over $1000 in susp parts and I still couldnt hang with my bro-in-laws stock 3 series 4-door BMW in the curves. Plus I have an A4, what kind of sense did it make to try and make it a corner carver with an auto like I see alot of people on here do? That's almost as bad as those who put the big tach with shift light on a A4 thats controlled by the ECM. I can understand the tach a little bit but why a shift light? But this arguement will only continue cause of all the **** retentive __$$ies on here.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smokinlt1
I agree with ZMONSTER that if you bought a f-body to carve corners your a tool. Theres probably only a handful of f-body owners who autocross compared to people who drag race. My prior setup was for better handling, easily had over $1000 in susp parts and I still couldnt hang with my bro-in-laws stock 3 series 4-door BMW in the curves. Plus I have an A4, what kind of sense did it make to try and make it a corner carver with an auto like I see alot of people on here do? That's almost as bad as those who put the big tach with shift light on a A4 thats controlled by the ECM. I can understand the tach a little bit but why a shift light? But this arguement will only continue cause of all the **** retentive __$$ies on here.
whoa whoa whoa. calling people a tool because theyre more into "corner carving" rather than drag racing? who the hell are you? Suppose we could call you a redneck for drag racing. Evryone has a different interest when comes to going fast. some like to go in a straight line (boring IMO) and others like to go fast around corners while ripping through the gears. And you are convinced that after only $1000 into a f-body that it could never handle well?
I understand you said you have a A4 which is fine for drag racing. Personally i think Automatics reduce the driving experience. But for consistent times, its the best bet for sure. Doesnt take any skill though.
But i also agree, putting huge tachs with shift lights in an auto is definitely stupid.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd love to hear about your "over $1000 handling setup"
If you couldn't hang with a 3 series then you spent the money on the wrong parts...
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I got a question for you. Just curious. Have you ever driven without the front sway bar? The point alotta guys are makin here is they feel no difference without it.

No, why would I want to make my car handle worse?

Read my post, they feel no difference during NORMAL driving. Its when the driving situation isn't normal that you'll regret removing your bar. You can be the greatest and safest driver in the world, but that still doesnt mean you'll never be put in a situation where you'll have to avoid an object quickly.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
The best way to avoid an emergency situation is to drive safely. period. I dont care if you have a super car if you push it on the street you will get f'd up eventually.
Yeah but a better handling car can better get you out of that situation.

As far as "whats the point" of driving slow in town, safety, safety is the point. Why would you drive a modded car fast in town anyway? You wont get anywhere faster and you wont get anywhere dead. Keep your speed where it belongs, on the track.
I never said to haul *** on the street. I said what the point of a fast car on the street besides the "cool" factor. If you're gonna drive like a grandma you might as well get a nice, slow or semi-fast, good handling daily driver and not possibly endanger yourself, passengers, or bystanders because your car handles like crap in an EMERGENY situation. Believe me if my car was an 11sec car (I doubt it'll ever be since I'm not into drag racing that much) it'll be track and weekend only. No point of taking my nice car out on the streets and wasting gas/accumulating unecessary miles on a built engine.

If you bought an Fbody to handle you made a mistake, my old bone stock miata (yes yes I know, it was gay) would blow away most any fbody here in the twisties.
No mistake, these cars can be made to handle very well. I bought mine because I wanted to street race with it... believe me I've grown up since then. No point endangering people (though I'll still do a 0-60 stoplight run every once in a while but I dont go to stupid speeds anymore) and no offense but a grown man in a miata will always look like a douche
Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is off and the only difference I have felt is I have more body roll on off ramps, DD btw
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha this thread is funny. Yea i fack around on the the street with JUST about anybody who wants to play, That means you guys w/o front bars will see my taillights getting dimmer and dimmer until they disappear if there are any curves on the road at all. Since most street racing takes place from a roll you prolly won't get much on me their either cause a lot of your weight shift leverage is N/A. Seems to me you would just be better unhookin at the track and hookin things back up for the street at your next track visit. C'mon guys, you do H/C swaps all the time how simple is it ti just disconnect/reconnect an endlink? I know how hard it is

I may just be different than many of you but i wanna be prepared for any situation and if that means having to unhook a front endlink taking 10 miniutes after a track run I'll do it. I don't understand why any one doesn't want to have their car handle on the street to it's full potential with all the nuts out there. I drive
Research Triangle Park all the time

Last edited by SOMbitch; 10-26-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

So your saying you race on the street? Fair enough, the only thing like street racing Ill do is go out to the local un-official strip 30 miles from anywhere, and do a couple turns down the 1/4 mile. As far as on the street goes, well I personally think that anyone who races on the street, in town, in traffic is an idiot. Is what I do any more legal? No, not at all. Is it safer? By far. We dont bother anyone, we prep the 'track' and make sure all is as safe as possible.

Why would I keep a part on the car that I really dont need or use?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I/we make sure ther are clear lanes and the average speed in the outer lanes is 80+ anyway so that is why it goes all but unoticed. Occasionally somebody else will jump in with a bimmer, merc etc... Lotta high dollar cars with all those computer workers and at 70 or 80 I sound stock:devil so they wanna pic on my old stuff: Then i give'em a surprise

FUN
Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

I include myself as tool for thinking the same thing. Hell a C4 can out handle a f-body and get them for about the same price. A Ford lighting can out handle a f-body most of the time and its a truck and a Ford! What i'm saying is that there r plenty of other more suitable cars for handling than the f-body.
My previous setup was Eibach Sport springs, KYB adj(not the best I know but still better than stock), BMR SFCs, BMR Stb, Lakewood LCAs, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR Adj Panhard bar, Hotchkis(sp) front and rear sway bars, and 275/40/17 Kumhos on Zo6 rims. And like I said it couldnt hang with a stock 3 series. I know that there's better ways to set up suspension but all that should have made it handle alot better not just a little better.
Maybe If had a M6 I'd be singing a different tune but I still say there r alot more vehicles that could easliy out handle a fbody with the same money spent on susp mods.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Don't know your driving history but you might have needed the driver mod as well...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Im not the greatest driver nor the worst either. whenever I tried to corner hard the *** end would get real loose. My brother has 350z that he can only get a 14.9-15.0 in the qtr and I can get a 14.3-14.4 out of it, but all that means is that I can slip the clutch better off the line. It's a 6 spd and I easliy weigh 75lbs more than he does. We took his car to an Autocross event set up at a stadium parking lot and there was only about a 5-10 sec difference between us, he being faster so maybe it's a driver mod or I just don't have the ***** to corner at speeds above 70.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

So your saying you race on the street? Fair enough, the only thing like street racing Ill do is go out to the local un-official strip 30 miles from anywhere, and do a couple turns down the 1/4 mile. As far as on the street goes, well I personally think that anyone who races on the street, in town, in traffic is an idiot. Is what I do any more legal? No, not at all. Is it safer? By far. We dont bother anyone, we prep the 'track' and make sure all is as safe as possible.

Why would I keep a part on the car that I really dont need or use?

So I am an idiot huh

I have been called worse by better so and:
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I include myself as tool for thinking the same thing. Hell a C4 can out handle a f-body and get them for about the same price.
Stock for stock, of course it should. Its lighter, has double wishbone suspension and is GM's flagship car. I don't know if you've driven a C4 before, but FWIW my friend owns a '92 (non Z51 to my knowledge). My car handles better than his, its amazing what proper suspension work will get you.
A Ford lighting can out handle a f-body most of the time and its a truck and a Ford!
And you just lost all your credibility...

What i'm saying is that there r plenty of other more suitable cars for handling than the f-body.
So whats wrong with taking a stock Fbody and making it more stable, much safer and more fun to drive?

My previous setup was Eibach Sport springs, KYB adj(not the best I know but still better than stock), BMR SFCs, BMR Stb, Lakewood LCAs, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR Adj Panhard bar, Hotchkis(sp) front and rear sway bars, and 275/40/17 Kumhos on Zo6 rims. And like I said it couldnt hang with a stock 3 series. I know that there's better ways to set up suspension but all that should have made it handle alot better not just a little better.
What are Eibach "sport" springs? Are you talking about Eibach sportlines?
If so, those are the single worst springs you can buy for our cars, and the main reason it handled so badly, and you would have been better off with stock springs. SFC's and the STB are useless, and both the relocation brakets and LCA's hurt your handling, not help it. And your hotchkis rear swaybar was too big for handling needs.
You basically did a close-your eyes-and-shoot kind of deal and got exactly that kind of result as well.
Its like if someone was building an engine, and had two different heads, headers, a huge cam and no tune and are complaining because they are not making the power they thought they should with the money they spent.

Maybe If had a M6 I'd be singing a different tune but I still say there r alot more vehicles that could easliy out handle a fbody with the same money spent on susp mods.
I don't think anyone is saying the fbody is a world class handler, or is going to make any top 10 lists. BUT with the right mods (mainly good shocks) these cars do good.

Quick Reply: street driving w/out front swaybar?