Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Some money for suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Some money for suspension

well i was thinking about getting a cam for my car but i figured like i promised to my self before that after i did the long tubes i would work on the suspension. I've got roughly about a grand to drop on stuff. I think lowering springs will be the first on my list. whats next? My car is a street/strip car. I usually drive the car a few times a month and ride quality is not the most important thing to me because i know how bad my car rides when driving in milwaukee it kinda sux. For the lowering springs do i need shocks as well? of should i just go with a full QA1 setup?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definately need to do shocks with the lowering springs. Talk to Sam Strano. He will get you set up with a suspension that will meet your needs. I have his revalved Bilsteins with Eibach Pro-kit springs and Strano sway bars. The handling is excellent and the ride quality is not bad. If I were to do it again I would get the Koni SA shocks and the Strano springs.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

I've been looking at the QA1 kit and it comes with front and rear shocks and front springs at any rate i want. but now rear springs. Can i put lowering springs on the QA1's?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Any one know anything about the QA1 Shocks?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy and install SLP Springs with front Koni SA shocks and rear Bilstein HD shocks. The SLP front springs will cause car to set higher than most lowering springs for extra header and Ypipe ground clearence but the Koni SA shocks has a lowering feature built into them if you decide to go lower. Lower setting will cause an extra 3/4" drop (see arrow)

SLP rear springs will drop rear of car 1" lower than brand new stock springs.

Last edited by gollum; 04-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

The QA1 shocks are mostly for drag racing...

For an all-around improvement in performance, I would run:

- koni S/A all around
- stock springs, lower koni perch in front, heater hose mod in rear, about a 1/2" drop. Strano lowering springs are optional, not required. Stock works well for most situations.
- homemade PHR (see this link for more info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/513475-canyon-carving-street-suspension-setup-review-long.html)
- Strano front sway, poly bushings
- 1le rear sway, poly bushings

Other options are bilstein revalves. Cheap fix would be the two sway bars and PHR, decent improvement.

Talk to Sam Strano for a more in-depth recommendation and/or suggestions. Good vendor to purchase from too.

Your car will be worlds improved!

This setup is not desiged for drag racing, rather all-around performance. You should be still able to pull some decent 60' times, but nothing spectacular. More for handling.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

i'm more in the the straight line but the QA1's are 12 way adjustable. cant i make it handle if i want too?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LILWS6
i'm more in the the straight line but the QA1's are 12 way adjustable. cant i make it handle if i want too?
From what I understand, it doesn't have the valving to handle *handling*, but I'll let someone who has actually used and tested these shocks to comment. I do know that unless you drag race a LOT, these shocks aren't for you.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

i drag and drive on the street thats it. but i'll keep searchin