Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Earls SS lines but have question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Earls SS lines but have question.

These lines noticeably improved my braking and pedal feel but I have a question about the kit. It came with 5 lines, four labeled for each corner of the vehicle, but a 5th labeled "rear center". I know the kits are universal for other vehicles but we looked all over my car for a place to install this. It had a regular fitting for a brake line bracket, but the banjo had inputs for two lines. Anybody know where this goes, or is it just "extra".
Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

does your car have traction control?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

It's there.... goes from the body to the axle. Has to be a flex line, or something would break when you drove the car. Look harder.

And FWIW, TCS/ASR cars have 6 lines in total....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you are 3 channel ABS (non traction control) then look on top of the differential. you can follow the hard lines from each soft line that you replaced in the rear. They will meet on top of the diff. this is where the 5th line connects to the hard line that runs back up to the engine compartment.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TCS and ABS has nothing to do with the 5th line.

The fifth line attaches to a Tee block on the top center of the diff and the hard line that runs along the fdriver's side frame rail to the ABS unit.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
TCS and ABS has nothing to do with the 5th line.

The fifth line attaches to a Tee block on the top center of the diff and the hard line that runs along the fdriver's side frame rail to the ABS unit.
Mitch,

My TCS car had dual hoses to the rear (one at each wheel and 2 on the axle, 6 total) because the ABS has seperate circuits for the rear brakes to allow the TCS system to grab one wheel at a time. You can't do that through a T block and a single hose. An ABS only car has 5 lines and uses the hose with a T block, the TCS car uses dual lines without T blocks, one per caliper on the rear axle.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All non-TCS SS brake line kits SHOULD come with 5 lines ... 1 for each corner (4) and connecting the rear diff (1) ... 4 plus 1 equals 5

Originally Posted by joblo1978
It came with 5 lines, four labeled for each corner of the vehicle, but a 5th labeled "rear center".
If a car has TCS, a 6th line should be involved, but Mr. blo clearly states he has a 5 line kit.

Non TCS cars have a electrical connection in the top of the diff which feeds off a reluctor ring sandwiched between the ring gear and carrier inside the diff. The signal is fed to the ABS module under the hood.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

That's where we looked and that's what I figured. I followed the rear lines to the center of the diff. and didn't see it. Maybe just need to look harder and get the car on a lift to do that one, thanks guys!

BTW, it does have TCS.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
That's where we looked and that's what I figured. I followed the rear lines to the center of the diff. and didn't see it. Maybe just need to look harder and get the car on a lift to do that one, thanks guys!

BTW, it does have TCS.
If you have TCS and have the 5 line kit, then you have the wrong kit. You need the 6 line kit. You can't use that 5th line in a TCS equipped f-body. Trackbird covered why.