Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

slotted rotors for firebird opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slotted rotors for firebird opinions

Ok i'm in the market for some slotted rotors and was wanting some opinions on some of the best ones on the market? And also who carries them whether it be a sponsor or ebay. I don't really care for cross drilled cause i read alot that they tend to crack. thanks for any help!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Most people on here will say that blanks are the best overall for rotors. If you want a good deal though check out WS6store on the sponsors list. They have a set of 4 stock size cross drilled and slotted rotors for a really good price.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

yeah i have read that everyone says stock rotors. but wouldn't slotted hold up as good as stock? yeah i saw those on ws6....anybody tried them? how are they?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

nevermind now...after doing some research i decided it would be best for me to just get blanks. So anybody using replacement rotors recommend any brand? how about brake pads also? thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For pads I think most people have hawk pads. Replacement OEM rotors you can buy from autozone, duralast or brembo. I have had duralast for about a year (life time warranty for those) with stock pads and they havent warped(stock ones warped like crazy).
Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

well i found some slotted rotors on ebay..all 4 for 145$ and powder coated hats...plus an extra 75$ for their pads. sounds like a good deal? but the warranty is only 6months. i don't know i might have to just try those duralast ones with some good pads and pay the little extra. decisions,decisions!!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was running cross drilled/slotted rotors with Axis pads. I abused them and the rotors developed hair line fractures. I replaced with NAPA rotors and NAPA Premium pads. The differance between the two is very noticable. I am seriousy considering going back to the cross drilled/slotted rotors again. Even if I have to replace again the stopping power of the brakes is worth it.

Also when I first got the rotors I stress tested them after a few drives and then did a very light cut on the rotors to clean them up. Worked great for 15k miles of abuse.

Just my experiance with the cheaper cross drilled/slotted rotors. Based on the differance to stock replacements I more than got my moneys worth from them.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Technoman64
I was running cross drilled/slotted rotors with Axis pads. I abused them and the rotors developed hair line fractures. I replaced with NAPA rotors and NAPA Premium pads. The differance between the two is very noticable. I am seriousy considering going back to the cross drilled/slotted rotors again. Even if I have to replace again the stopping power of the brakes is worth it.

The problem with that second setup was the pads, not the rotors. Cross-drilled rotors are not an upgrade. Stick with blanks, but get better pads. Pad selection is far more important than rotor selection. Those Axxis pads were probably grippier than the cheapy NAPA pads. Thats where you felt the difference...the pads. Get some Hawk HPS, HP+, Carbotech, PBR, or <insert better pad name here> and you'll see better braking. The more "race" pads dont work as well on the street though because they need to be warmed up to work best.

You've experienced first hand why cross-drilled rotors should not be used.... they crack.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ definitely man. Junk the napa pads, I like Hawk HPS personally.

I had D/S rotors like you did, w/ axis pads, and after those were cooked I slapepd on Autozone OEM Blanks w/ Hawk HPS and I'd do the latter again, not the D/S w/ axis.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

The Axix switch to Napa pads are what caused you to lose grip.

It does appear that the cheapest source of rotors these days are cheapo cross drilled/slotted ones that I'd be too afraid to put on my autox vehicle. With Brembo blanks only being less than 270 a set, its a no brainer for me to go with the Brembos. I'd personally never mess with those no name cross drilled, molested, etc rotors.

Get cross drilled if you like the looks. Personally I wouldn't get anything that decreases performance but gives the appearance that it increases performance. Isn't this reason why we laugh at a lot of the cars we see drive by that try to make their slow cars look fast?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

good blanks and good street pads (IMO brembo blanks and Hawk HPS) plus flush ur brake fluid with some of that good ol blue fluid from germany or Prestone/Valvoline DOT 4 syn fluid. Bar none the best setup for the street. Not only do pads matter but the crossdrilled/slotted rotors crack, warp, create more dust by eating ur pads, noise and "vibrations".

do a search for F1 brakes on google, even they have it figured out...no crossdrilled or slotted there.

Like Sam Strano said "would u put smaller tires on ur car for better traction? No, so why would u put crossdrilled/slotted brakes on ur car for better stopping?" Less rotor = more distance in stopping. It's all in the pads, not the rotor. the older designs in pads NEEDED slotted/crossdrilling to get the gases that built up between the pad and rotor. Well science is better than it was then, pads are badass now and DO NOT have the issues as in the past so crossdrilled/slotted rotors are no longer needed.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

well i ended up getting crossdrilled/slotted rotors after all cause i got a good deal and couldn't pass it up.What do you guys think? 205$ for rotors and axis ceramics?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Its true. in the sticky above there is a "no expense spared race car" that uses pretty much what i consider blanks. However i like the look of the drilled my self. Not sure why i guess i just do. But on the other hand i think the blanks work the best.

Quick Reply: slotted rotors for firebird opinions